Pipe blueing.....? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Pipe blueing.....?

I have one pipe that is turning blue all of a sudden, at least I don't recall it being blue in the past. I don't think the bike is running any different than normal and feels and sounds good. I believe blueing would be caused by excess heat which is typical of a lean condition. With the FI on these I would not think that would be an issue? Any ideas, should I worry?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

What part of the pipe are we talking about?

post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Pretty, isn't it?

Seriously though, you might pull your plugs and inspect them, see if the blued pipe plug appears any different than the others.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Discen

my #1 pipe was bluer than the others after about 7 or 8k miles. did a plug change. all were good including the #1. finally did the pipe polishing with 800g wet sanding and the mothers aluminum polish. after a few k miles they're turning gold again and the #1 pipe is once again ever so slightly bluer than the others. probably nothing to worry about.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Discen

if the number one pipe is the outside left (sitting on the bike) the same happens to mine. That plug is always the dirtiest.
That happens to be the one i attached the scottoiler to, i always wondered if that had something to do with it.
dave

post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

It could be a early sign of a lean condition in that cylinder. how many miles are we talking? Check the ohms on all inj. look for a difference in that one inj. if it lot you pm me with the values or just post them here. A lot= .2 or more difference

post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, the bike just turned over 5K miles so still pretty new. I've not looked at the valves as that seems kind of early, but certainly not impossible. I think I will inspect the plugs and polish the pipe. The blueing condition is right out of the head and about 6" in length down the pipe.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Sounds lean in one cylinder easy enough if you need help let me know if you have a multimeter

post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
Sounds lean in one cylinder easy enough if you need help let me know if you have a multimeter
I've got one, what I don't have is much freakin time (lol). If you've got some simple instructions on testing this, Id appreciate it. If I find something wrong, then what???

post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Set to read Ohms auto calibrate if its a good one i not 20.0 wll do. Unplug the #1 injector and read across the plug you should get a reading like 13.1 or what the ohms reading is this number is not crucial but if you have 12.5 on #1 13.1 on #'s 2-3-4 then thats a problem. Another thing to check is gaskets at the base of the #1 throttle body if it is sucking air that will cause a lean condition also. For this check use a little carb cleaner use the supplied straw. Spray it at the base of throttle body where it bolts to the head while its running listen for change in idle i.e. increase or decrease or all out boggin down.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

be nice to it there has to be a reason it's sadder than the other pipes. maybe the other pipes are being mean to it. just talk to it and more than likely you'll find out why it's blue. nothing worse than having a pipe that's down in the dumps

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #12 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
no max no more

color of pipes is always a debait...blue is rich ... yes rich is cooler running ....but not when the gas is burning in exhaust pipe causing heat...lean or good burn is gold....flame away debate is good

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #13 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

could also have to do with how you start the bike up when it's cold. If you fire it up and let it run with the choke open for a min or two that will prematurely blue the pipes also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode