Pilot Road2 Rear & 2ct Front - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Pilot Road2 Rear & 2ct Front

Is there anyone running this combo? I'm thinking of going this way tomorrow. Thought a stickier 2ct front with a longer lasting Road 2 rear could be a good combo. It seems to be the same profile 2ctfront = 2Road front, so can't see any issues. The local tyre guys reckon there are guys running their bikes like this...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Is there anyone running this combo? I'm thinking of going this way tomorrow. Thought a stickier 2ct front with a longer lasting Road 2 rear could be a good combo. It seems to be the same profile 2ctfront = 2Road front, so can't see any issues. The local tyre guys reckon there are guys running their bikes like this...
talking to a guy yesterday looking at his tires has 14000 miles with the road 2 still with thread left..i figure if your not road racing making money looking for that extra 1/2 sec...go with the milage tire

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #3 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Imaginifer

I thought about this before going 2CTs both front and rear. When it came down to it, I wanted that extra grip so that if the situation arose where my skills failed, I didn't want to go down because I didn't want to spend a little extra money on a stickier tire. It may be flawed logic, but it is what I went with.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Farab, I used to do something similar to what you are asking about. I ran a Pilot up front and a Conti Road Attack on back. I did a track day on that combo. Pegs and knees, both down in the corners.

Just about any good quality tire will stick when good and warm. Just about every tire will slip on gravel and sand.

The back end is a lot easier to save than the front. I think you'll be fine with the combo you are contemplating.

post #5 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Gets censored

I've been running this combo for quite a while now, I love It. The only thing I've noticed is I can break the tire loose when cold and it locks up a lot easier under braking in a straight line but that's what your front brakes are for anyway. I dig my set up just fine.

post #6 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I've been running this combo for quite a while now, I love It. The only thing I've noticed is I can break the tire loose when cold and it locks up a lot easier under braking in a straight line but that's what your front brakes are for anyway. I dig my set up just fine.
Thanks all. Sounds like a goood/sound idea then. Brian, are you talking about the rear locking up and breaking loose?

post #7 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I run Pilot Road 2 tires front and rear. I've experienced a little REAR slippage on extremely cold tires less than a mile from the house. I've also had the rear try to lock up under heavy braking, but I don't think it is any worse than when I had Pilot Power tires on the bike. I've never had any grip issues once I had been rolling for a mile or two...except for that little sand patch that made me pucker up.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I run Pilot Road 2 tires front and rear. I've experienced a little REAR slippage on extremely cold tires less than a mile from the house. I've also had the rear try to lock up under heavy braking, but I don't think it is any worse than when I had Pilot Power tires on the bike. I've never had any grip issues once I had been rolling for a mile or two...except for that little sand patch that made me pucker up.
I've have the the Z6's lock up on gearing down quite often, after coming back from a ride!! My street corner is situated very awkward though, it sits almost at the bottom left of a downhill righ hand corner.

post #9 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
I've have the the Z6's lock up on gearing down quite often, after coming back from a ride!! My street corner is situated very awkward though, it sits almost at the bottom left of a downhill righ hand corner.
I don't think you will be disappointed with either Road 2 front and rear or Power 2 front with Road 2 rear.

I have 4,600 miles on my rear and it has lots of tread left. I expect it to last me past 7,500 miles. At my current rate, the sides will be gone before the middle.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

This past spring I bought a matched set of road 2's and I've been riding hard all this year. I've put 14000+ on these tires, and aside from a flat band in the center of the rear tire after my trip from Colorado to Virginia, they are fine. I think I can expect another 5-8 thousand miles out of this set, but time will tell. I don't have lots of experience with different tires, so I can't comment on the relative stickiness of different sets, but these have been very comfortable for me in cornering. My limitation is my experience level...which is improving!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
This past spring I bought a matched set of road 2's and I've been riding hard all this year. I've put 14000+ on these tires, and aside from a flat band in the center of the rear tire after my trip from Colorado to Virginia, they are fine. I think I can expect another 5-8 thousand miles out of this set, but time will tell. I don't have lots of experience with different tires, so I can't comment on the relative stickiness of different sets, but these have been very comfortable for me in cornering. My limitation is my experience level...which is improving!
I just got off the phone with the importers (motorcyclists themselves) They reckon its really not necessary to go the 2ct in front if I'm going with a Road2 on the rear. After giving him a rundown of the Z6's and what I do (commuting, 1up twisty blasts, 2up day trips), he reckons to give a matched set a go, plenty of grip/stickiness on both front and rear sides.

He didn't seem to like the idea of the 2ct with a road2, but rather a Pilot Power in front - between a 2ct and a Road2. Also from "reading between the lines" the rear will outlast the front with the combo I was suggesting.

post #12 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

As far as I know all Pilot Road 2's are dual compound.

If by "Road2" you're talking the cross tread Pilot Road (no number), then you can live with that combination. A Road 2 on the rear with a Road on the front, however, requires a deft touch to keep from getting up close and personal with the ground. I trashed a front Road in less than 4000 miles after I spooned a Road 2 on the rear, keeping in mind the usual wear is in the mid 18,000 mile range.

There is no substitute for more traction, so if you are a canyon carver then the Road 2 is for you. They nearly match the original Roads for wear and give considerably more confidence in the corners.

For riders of my skill level or above the Roads are a real ball in the twisties mainly due to their predictable and forgiving nature and the warning they give when breaking away into a slide.
Uh, on the track that is.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Thanks Rob. Of course it's on the track, wouldn't have thought otherwise.

Lets hope Michelin cleans up their product names to something less confusing.

This is what I am wanting to fit, the Pilot Road 2

Michelin North America Motorcycle Tires

This is the front I was considering (something a little stickier than above), the Pilot Power 2ct:

This is what the distributors would rather I put in front, IF I really wanted to "mix it" for something a little stickier in front (between a Road2 and a 2ct), the Pilot Power

post #14 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Yes, that's exactly the combo I'm running. It works very well on my 919.

I spend 95% of my time commuting, and I have 4,200 miles on these tires. It looks like they'll last another couple thousand.

post #15 of 29 Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
The Cripple

so whats the average mileage out of these tires then? i'm looking into replacing my tires and have been reading up on these, but need em to last past 10k miles. i'm a college student so i cant afford to cough up $320+ 3x a year if not more.

edit: just went out and looked at my tires, i'm running pilot powers front/rear (came with the bike). the rear center tread is getting pretty low. whats the wear indicator look like?

the front looks like its about 50-60% worn. BUT they are NOT confidence inspiring tires by any means in my opinion. the rear is fine, but the front i freakin loath. its even worse in the rain (which is pretty often).

post #16 of 29 Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

good combo dude

post #17 of 29 Old 01-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

I ran the Road 2 on the rear and the Pilot Power on the front. The Road 2 held up well and was sticky up to about 7,500 miles then started feeling greasy and didn't stick well at all. The front was down to the wear bars at that point. I then switched to some Pilot Race tires which were race takeoffs. This was a night and day difference. These tires inspire soooo much confidence and while not lasting more than 3,000 miles, make you feel like they will never break loose.

The Road 2 lasted 8,500 miles before replacement of which the last 1,000 miles were a little less than inspiring. This is on a Speed Triple doing LOTS of wheelies, fast launches, and general hooligan behavior on public roads.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #18 of 29 Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Immune

It's a great combo, I squeezed about 8700 miles out of mine , lots of canyon and commuting miles with no problems at all. I run "Bridgestone BT016" now. costs me about $100. per set less than the Michelins and a little more sticky,but only good for 4500 miles.

post #19 of 29 Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
McTavish

If you are anticipating serious rain riding, I'd be inclined to run Road / Road. If rain is not a serious criteria for your tire choice, then a Pilot Power 2CT up front and a Pilot Road 2CT on the rear should be a good combo. I think the Power front has a quicker steering centre profile than the Road.

post #20 of 29 Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
The Cripple

is the road better in the rain than the 2ct?

post #21 of 29 Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM
McTavish

They should be, if one is talking in terms of standing water film and not just "wet road". The Roads have continuous cross treading, which means they have uninterrupted water evacuation grooves. The Michelin website gives both the Road and Power the same wet grip rating, 5 stars (the best). But wet grip is not the same thing as water evacuation. If I was living in a heavy rain place like Vancouver, Canada, and doing lots of rain riding with standing water, I'd have Roads front and back. But on just a damp road, or wet to the point of there not being any standing water, the Power should have more pure wet grip just because of its stickier compound.

post #22 of 29 Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
The Cripple

well then i'm torn, because i live in the northwest lol. we have damp roads most of the time during our rainy months(weeks, days, etc depending on time of year lol), sometimes we'll have some standing water, sometimes we wont. so i'm not sure which direction to go...

post #23 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM
McTavish

Pvester, it sounds as though you ride all year, so you are also dealing with some coolish weather and cold pavement as well. (I lived in Vancouver Canada for 10 years and our factory was in Portland). Between the standing water and cold pavement (cold grip issue), I see the Roads as being the way to go. If I was in Vancouver and riding all year, I would be on Roads. The only reason I have the Power 2CTs on my 919 is because of all the Track Days I do, otherwise I would have Roads on again. (My 05 was retrofitted with Roads when I bought it, and the new 2CT Road is better than the ones I rode on.) Tough to choose, eh ?

post #24 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM
The Cripple

now i'm confused lol. so the roads you speak of are the road 2ct correct? front/rear both?

post #25 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
son of a batch of cookies

If it was me I'd go with Pilot Power 2CT's front and rear.Can't have too much stick.

post #26 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
McTavish

Pvester,
Apologies for the short forms. Yes, I meant Road 2CT for Front and Back.
As you can tell, there is not universal agreement on this topic and never will be.
Just like tire pressures !

post #27 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofus View Post
If it was me I'd go with Pilot Power 2CT's front and rear.Can't have too much stick.
but at the expense of mileage? yeah you can...

post #28 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Pvester,
Apologies for the short forms. Yes, I meant Road 2CT for Front and Back.
As you can tell, there is not universal agreement on this topic and never will be.
Just like tire pressures !
cheers for ur help! i'll shop around then and see about givin them a whirl.

post #29 of 29 Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Gets censored

Sorry hadn't seen this thread for a whilr. Yep, I run a road 2 out back and a 2ct in the front. I ride pretty hard and love this setup. Minus the breakin loose on hard acel every now and then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode