Pilot Road vs Pilot Road 2ct - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Pilot Road vs Pilot Road 2ct

I need a new rear, either now or in the next month and might as well do the front at the same time seeing how it probably won’t last the season. I made up my mind on the Michelins but what I am not sure about is if I should go for the Pilot Roads or the Pilot Road 2ct. I don't want to start a tire war so I am kind of just asking the guys/gals who have used these tries in the past or currently running them to get their opinion on which they prefer and why. TIA.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I ran through the OEM Bridgestones and a set of Metzler Z6's, before I settled on the Michelin Pilot Road 2's (not 2ct').
Excellent grip in the dry and wet, for street riding and canyon carving. I commute as well and after 10 000km's there is still no flat spot on the rear tyre!

post #3 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Tirone

Run powers rear/front. Don't have any complaints, don't live but a few miles from work, so most of my riding is beat'n up the streets.

T

post #4 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Le So Cal Troll

I run Pilot Road 2's front and rear on my 919... never had the front slip on me and only recently with my MUCH gained confidence have i had the rear slip under HARD acceleration in a turn. The road 2's have inspired so much more confidence then my old shinko 005's ever could.

I play 90% of my time up in twisties and have loved every single minute of the road 2's.

post #5 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Gets censored

cant go wrong... do a search its been covered here.

post #6 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The Pilot Road 2's ARE 2CT's.... They just aren't labelled as explicitly as the Pilot Power 2ct's...

They are great tires. they grip very well in the dry or in the wet, and they last you long time, GI...

...My last set lasted about 16,000 miles...All kindsa miles... ok, they lasted 15,000 and I kept em longer than I should have by about 1,000 miles, but the principle remains.
Motorcycle Superstore had a good deal on them a couple weeks ago...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM
McTavish

Wrong Info

You have been misinformed by someone.
Pilot Road 2s are Road 2s and are not the same as Pilot Power 2CTs.
The use of the 2CT designation is only used by Michelin for the Powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
The Pilot Road 2's ARE 2CT's.... They just aren't labelled as explicitly as the Pilot Power 2ct's...

They are great tires. they grip very well in the dry or in the wet, and they last you long time, GI...

...My last set lasted about 16,000 miles...All kindsa miles... ok, they lasted 15,000 and I kept em longer than I should have by about 1,000 miles, but the principle remains.
Motorcycle Superstore had a good deal on them a couple weeks ago...

post #8 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
You have been misinformed by someone.
Pilot Road 2s are Road 2s and are not the same as Pilot Power 2CTs.
The use of the 2CT designation is only used by Michelin for the Powers.
...Which is exactly what I just said, BUT...As I stated previously, Pilot ROAD 2's are 2ct's as well...and they are. check with michelin's website if you disbelieve...ok, here's a linky Michelin Website ...and straight from the referenced website...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelin
Until now, you had to make a choice: the grip of a softer tire - or the durability of a harder tire? But thanks to Michelin 2CT dual-compound technology, MICHELIN® Pilot® Road 2 tires offer both grip and durability in one tire. By integrating a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders with a wear-resistant compound down the middle, Michelin gives you the best of both worlds. The Pilot® Road 2 tire is like two tires in one.
I believe it is YOU that stands corrected, sirrah!

I obviously know that the Pilot road and the Pilot power are separate products....

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Sorry bout that, I'm kinda cranky tonight I guess...

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think what you're trying to say is they are "2 compound tires," which they are, they are not, however, "2CT's" even on Michelin's website. The 2CT tire has different compound coverage areas as well as different compounds than the Road 2's do. For me it's the Road 2's wet tire traction that leads me to want them for my next set... I'm still on the stock tires.

post #11 of 26 Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamjayp
I think what you're trying to say is they are "2 compound tires," which they are, they are not, however, "2CT's" even on Michelin's website.
You're pulling my leg, right?

You are disputing what Michelin actually has on their website? I quoted directly from it...I posted a link to it...did you look before making your verbal leap? No?

I think that what I AM saying is that according to Michelin's own marketing material, on Michelin's website... The Pilot Road 2 is a 2ct tire...2ct is an abbreviation/trademark used by Michelin that means dual (2) compound tire. As from the quote from michelin in the above post, 2CT also applies to the Pilot road 2 tire. They said it themselves, go argue with them. several different tires in there product line are 2ct...2ct is exactly equal to dual compound... Deal with it. Here, I'll post another direct quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelin
2CT : Two compound technology

Since 2005, Two-Compound Technology (2CT) is the innovation that has allowed Michelin to widen the lead on the competition. 2CT is found in Michelin Power Race, Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Road 2 tyres.

What is Two-compound technology?
2CT tyres incorporate two distinct rubber types: a softer compound on the tread shoulders, and a harder, more durable compound in the centre of the tyre.

How was Two-compound technology developed?
2CT is a direct product of Michelin’s dominance of MotoGP racing, where it was developed, tested and approved by the world’s best riders. Because for Michelin, there’s one objective when we go racing: to deliver the highest technology to real-world riders.

How does 2CT make Michelin tyres better?
2CT makes it possible to fine-tune the tyre’s performance to a particular application. The harder compound in the centre of the tread improves durability (Pilot Road 2) and enhances acceleration and braking performance (Power Race, Pilot Power 2CT). The softer rubber on the tread shoulders maximizes cornering grip and safety.

The difference in areas of coverage, and the particular compounds used is the key difference between the Road 2's and the Power 2ct's...

It would have been SO EASY for the frenchies to just use the same terminology consistently!!! Look at all the confusion and argument just in this one little corner of the interwebs because of it!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Pilus Posterior

The Road is an older tyre now - should be cheap but they are nowhere near as competent as the Road 2.

Get the Pilot Road 2. Excellent tyre and I find them very well suited to the Hornet 900.

M3's and Conti Road Attacks are also popular on the 900 in New Zealand.

2ct - is basically their marketing blurb for 'two (or twin) compound technology.

post #13 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
McTavish

Good morning Sir,

You know the tires, but not everyone else does. You are quite correct that the Road 2s are dual compound tires akin to the 2CTs. My concern is someone who does not know what they are trying to buy, using the wrong product name. I found a Michelin single page sheet that covers the entire range, as a result of fishing for info on the Pures. That sheet shows the official product designations as being :
Pilot Road
Pilot Road 2
Pilot Power
Pilot Power 2CT
Power Pure
Power One Street

In other words, while Road 2s are indeed a dual compound design just as you said, that Michelin does use the term "2CT" to convey, as far as branding and product name, the dual compound Roads are officially badged as Road 2s.

What are you on ?
I had Roads put on when I got the 919 new in 05.
Switched to Power 2CTs a few seasons ago and was doing lots of track day mileage until getting a dedicated track day bike.
I've ordered a set of Power Pures for the 750 track day bike.
By way, if I was touring on the 919, I mean real touring, and wanted to cover cold and very wet pavement conditions, and by that I mean air temps in the low 40s and pavement about the same with some surface floodiing, I'd be on Road2s and not 2CTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
...Which is exactly what I just said, BUT...As I stated previously, Pilot ROAD 2's are 2ct's as well...and they are. check with michelin's website if you disbelieve...ok, here's a linky Michelin Website ...and straight from the referenced website...

I believe it is YOU that stands corrected, sirrah!

I obviously know that the Pilot road and the Pilot power are separate products....

post #14 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 AM
McTavish

You sold the Atlas ?

What was the Atlas like ? Restored ? One of my best friends had one, and sold it in 71 to buy his new CB750. Last year he got a phone call from a guy on Vancouver Island who tracked him down by the still good phone number on the inside of the factory manual that he sold along with the bike. Sent him pictures of it fully restored to its former glory. 40 years later !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I need a new rear, either now or in the next month and might as well do the front at the same time seeing how it probably won’t last the season. I made up my mind on the Michelins but what I am not sure about is if I should go for the Pilot Roads or the Pilot Road 2ct. I don't want to start a tire war so I am kind of just asking the guys/gals who have used these tries in the past or currently running them to get their opinion on which they prefer and why. TIA.

post #15 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Tirone

15000 miles. I have to stop doing wheelies!

post #16 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go for the Pilot Road2 however, the Roads are cheaper. Michelin does not "Brand" them as 2ct but they do use the 2ct technology in the making of the tire as stated per their website, so both The Shadow and mcromo44 are right.

The Atlas was an excellent bike. She was not restored. Original paint was in such good condition I just had to keep her that way. It was left foot brake, right foot shift. And you shifted down to go up in gears. So it was one up, four down. Hard as hell to find Neutral. I took to calling her "Penny Lane" because the song was the number one hit the month she was made in England. She eventually began to have a charging problem and I just didn't have the time to go through and make her a brand new wiring harness so I sold it to a Professor at Denver University who had a few "Tritons" (Norton Featherbed Frame and a Triumph Engine) and raced 250cc Aprillias. I then turned around a bought the ’81 GPz. The professor sold it to another man who was going to do a complete restoration and try to get it into some Concourses. Between the three of us we had all the records for the bike going back to when it was made in England, shipped to New Jersey and sold in Colorado.

post #17 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 AM
McTavish

Atlas Charging Issues

That would be Lucas electrics with one of those infamous Zener Diodes, correct ? I had a 71 Commander, a recovered wreck that I built and had as my first bike.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go for the Pilot Road2 however, the Roads are cheaper. Michelin does not "Brand" them as 2ct but they do use the 2ct technology in the making of the tire as stated per their website, so both The Shadow and mcromo44 are right.

The Atlas was an excellent bike. She was not restored. Original paint was in such good condition I just had to keep her that way. It was left foot brake, right foot shift. And you shifted down to go up in gears. So it was one up, four down. Hard as hell to find Neutral. I took to calling her "Penny Lane" because the song was the number one hit the month she was made in England. She eventually began to have a charging problem and I just didn't have the time to go through and make her a brand new wiring harness so I sold it to a Professor at Denver University who had a few "Tritons" (Norton Featherbed Frame and a Triumph Engine) and raced 250cc Aprillias. I then turned around a bought the ’81 GPz. The professor sold it to another man who was going to do a complete restoration and try to get it into some Concourses. Between the three of us we had all the records for the bike going back to when it was made in England, shipped to New Jersey and sold in Colorado.

post #18 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Yeah, Lucas "The Prince of Darkness" . Ozzy stole that by the way. I replace the diode then the stator and rotor and still had a problem. Every thing was grounded and torqued correctly so next step was wiring harness at $200 and up plus shpping from Enlgand I didn't want to spend the money or build a new one. Too young to start a restore I want to ride not build. . .yet.

post #19 of 26 Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
had the roads on my 919 when i bought it. tread was so-so, but it was slicker than snot in the wet. hated it 100% switched to road2's and

post #20 of 26 Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
'evening Bruce

When I bought my Hornet, it had Pilot Road 2's. Found them very good in all aspects. When it came time for new hoops last year, I opted for Bridgestones' BT-016's. Again, can't complain too much about them but come this Friday, I'll be giving the PR2's another run. Looking forward for longer milage and better grip throughout this winter.

post #21 of 26 Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ordered a set of PR2's from americanmotorcycletire.com. It had the best price that I could find on the internet. It was also over $50 cheaper on the rear tire and $30 on the front than both my local dealers to include shipping, oh and for me there was no tax. So I ordered both but now it is going to cost me more to have them mounted and balanced at one of those places. Oh well.

post #22 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

I run the standard "Roads" because they are cheap (the set in my garage, waiting for the set on my bike to go another 2000 miles [total of 15k] was only $200 shipped)! I don't do track days so the "Roads" are a better value for me and these tires are better than I am.

O:\General Info\member1804.jpg
post #23 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i run bridgestone bt021's....... they are very good... this rear tire has 5k miles on it here in flat florida.... and this photo was taken at the overlook on deals gap.....

they are also very reasonable priced..... the PP2ct's are great tires.... these are just as good and nowhere near as expensive....

and they will take what you can do to them without complaint.... the guys with me will attest that i was "moving along" on deals gap.... i never felt it get loose in the back and i brushed my knee on the ground a few times... i had total confidence brushing knee and pegs......... money well spent... and look at the amount of tread left after 5thousand miles of interstate back and forth to work... not really even a flat spot....

post #24 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I received my PR2s in on Friday. Maybe it is just a new tire thing but with them not being on the bike yet and me just brushing them over by hand they tend to snag my bare hand on the sides and run smooth over the center. I guess that’s part of the 2CT technology. Nice deep tread on the rear and the front looks to be good as well. I can see why some people are reporting more than 10K miles on these tires. I look forward to getting them mounted next week and then into the mountains.
Currently have the Michelin Pilots (not Pilot Power) on there and going up my mountain road to work, Long and tight (not hair pin) turns, the front feels very unstable. I have to ease up on my lean and/or back off the throttle to make the FE feel stable, I am not going much faster than 55mph. And there is more tread on the front tire than the rear!!! These PR2s look like they will erase that problem off the board.

post #25 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Damn, so I had these damn tires sitting in my house for a month and only just had them put on yesterday. First off I am pretty pissed off that it took my local shop TWO days to put the tires on. They have a policy that if you show up after 10am they hold it over to the next day. I figured because all I was doing was a tire change they could get to it, nope in fact they didn’t call me till 3pm the next day. Second, with new tires on the bike and it was raining cats and dogs when I pick it up, I was a little nervous about driving it 30 miles up the highway to my house in a down poor like that. All I can say is WOW, what a fantastic ride I had with these tires on! I would never have known the road was wet, and I mean wet, except I could see it with my own two eyes through the rain spotted visor. These tires felt and acted like it was 90 out and not a drop of rain in sight. Third, this morning’s ride into work my little problem with some slight wheel slippage that I was talking about in the post above has gone away. So far I am in love; let’s just see if I can get the same mileage out of them as others have reported, if so I know what tire I will continue to buy from this point on.

post #26 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Hey Paco ! How do you like those bt's when the weather is cold ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode