Pilot Power to Sport Attack. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Pilot Power to Sport Attack.

Throw away the peg feelers, and get out the knee sliders, there's a new front tire in town and it's got a a Kraut accent. Now I've liked Pilot Powers for a long time, and still do. There's another choice, and it's a good one. I've tried Continental's new Sport Attack. Unfortunatly I'm comparing a worn Michelin to a new Conti, but right off the bat the C rode nicer. Steering is precise, smooth, and stable. I ride the same roads over and over, so I know many parts well. On a particular 90mph sweeper full of swolen expansion joints the C stayed put better than the French tire. The 919 has often been criticised for lack of frone end feedback,but with this new Continental, there's some. Not a lot, but some. Grip? tons. Virtually no break in required. Within the first 50 miles, I had both knees on the tarmac. (and not cuz I fell off this time)

Tire Express, $107 to my door. As always, installation was free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Throw away the peg feelers, and get out the knee sliders, there's a new front tire in town and it's got a a Kraut accent. Now I've liked Pilot Powers for a long time, and still do. There's another choice, and it's a good one. I've tried Continental's new Sport Attack. Unfortunatly I'm comparing a worn Michelin to a new Conti, but right off the bat the C rode nicer. Steering is precise, smooth, and stable. I ride the same roads over and over, so I know many parts well. On a particular 90mph sweeper full of swolen expansion joints the C stayed put better than the French tire. The 919 has often been criticised for lack of frone end feedback,but with this new Continental, there's some. Not a lot, but some. Grip? tons. Virtually no break in required. Within the first 50 miles, I had both knees on the tarmac. (and not cuz I fell off this time)

Tire Express, $107 to my door. As always, installation was free.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to try the Sport Attacks out as my first tire swap for the 919.

Hey, remember me? I'm one 1 of 2 919's you past at the end of last year on the one of the "certain" roads you ride over and over.

05 919
05 R6
96 Civic K20A-R
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Tirone

I saw on a couple other threads you said the Sport Attack front isn't any good? What's up with that? Is the Sport Attack front and rear combo good or not? I plan on buying the same model tire so if the fronts are good, I'll pass on them. I'll just go with Pilot Power 2CT or Pilot Roads 2CTs.

Can you clarify the Con's with the Conti Sport Attacks? Fronts and Rears.

05 919
05 R6
96 Civic K20A-R
post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't like the ROAD Attack front. It made my bike do the front end smimmy on decel. The SPORT Attack does not. You're more than welcome to come over and hop on my bike and see for yourself if you'd like.

I'm not a big Michelin fan. Nothng wrong with standard Pilot Powers. They had a recall on their 2CTs. Unrelated note: 3 weeks ago I had a Michelin front disintegrate on my Semi tractor trailer. Had the same thing happen on the back of my Mercury Cougar years ago. One second, they're fine, the next, they're shreds. I don't have a lot of confidence in that company.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2008, 04:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I put on a set of Sport attacks this last fall & did 400mis. on 'em. Real good feel & even on the tar strips they stick well. Haven't run Michelin's, but have had Dunlop 208's & qualifiers, Avon vipers & Metz racetecs. I'd rank the Conti's above Dunlops, same w/ Avon, and well the Metz are in a different class.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Tirone

Quote:
I don't like the ROAD Attack front. It made my bike do the front end smimmy on decel. The SPORT Attack does not. You're more than welcome to come over and hop on my bike and see for yourself if you'd like.

I'm not a big Michelin fan. Nothng wrong with standard Pilot Powers. They had a recall on their 2CTs. Unrelated note: 3 weeks ago I had a Michelin front disintegrate on my Semi tractor trailer. Had the same thing happen on the back of my Mercury Cougar years ago. One second, they're fine, the next, they're shreds. I don't have a lot of confidence in that company.

I know all about the Michelin tire shreddings... I'm a Formula 1 fan...

Sniper, thanks for the offer. I would love come test them on your bike. But I might pass on it. Mainly because I doubt I can push as hard as you quite yet (all though I'm getting there) to be able to tell the difference. Maybe I could, I have say maxxed out the stock BT56 both in lean angle and lateral grip big time (my riding is limited to the tire). But there is a lot more tire (grip and lean angle) to the Conti Sport Attack that I haven't been accustom to so getting to the full extent of the tire I'll have to pratice alittle first. I see what you mean now. The lesser ROAD Attack front is the one you don't like. What do you think causes the Road Attack front tire to shimmy/move about on front end? Is it doing this during braking or corner entry or both. It looks to me that Road Attack is nearly the same design, just a bit less aggressive tread compound then the Sport. Am I right on that or not? Either way I know what I want. I'm ordering the Sport Attacks all around. Thanks.

As I side node. I can do the Sport Attack front and rear still pick up another Sport or Road Attack rear a lot less then a Michenlin or any other comparable tire for less amount of money. I'm sold on this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
I put on a set of Sport attacks this last fall & did 400mis. on 'em. Real good feel & even on the tar strips they stick well. Haven't run Michelin's, but have had Dunlop 208's & qualifiers, Avon vipers & Metz racetecs. I'd rank the Conti's above Dunlops, same w/ Avon, and well the Metz are in a different class.
Thank you. That is helpful becuase I was thinking about the Dunlop Qualifiers also as an option. But I've made my decision above.

I appreciate the help both of you guys!!

05 919
05 R6
96 Civic K20A-R
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't live very far from where we met up. I'd help you put the thing on at my place if you want. I can throw the old one in the dumpster at work.

I also know a few decent corners on 62 + 66 that you can look thru if you want to work on your form.

Putnam on Mat 3-4......

post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Tirone

Quote:
I don't live very far from where we met up. I'd help you put the thing on at my place if you want. I can throw the old one in the dumpster at work.

I also know a few decent corners on 62 + 66 that you can look thru if you want to work on your form.

Putnam on Mat 3-4......
That's not that too far from me really maybe :30-:45 mins (depends on if I take the boring highway or not - so I prefer the long way) so I'll probably stop in some soon. We head that way for roads often since it's some of the nicer roads around here. About the only higher speed corners I get practice on are clovers so some good corners to help practice proper technique would be great. More left handers :P. Putnam is nearly all right handers too. I want to do a Putnam track day soon for sure. There is a beginner motorcycle track day coming up (I'd like to go to -- is that date of the one above)

I've never mounted/balanced a motorcycle tire before so that sound good to me. I let you know when these things come in.

05 919
05 R6
96 Civic K20A-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode