Picked up my 919 yesterday - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Picked up my 919 yesterday

For those of you who don't know, I'm new here, and I finally was able to pick up my 2002 919 from the dealer last night. It was tough watching them wheel away my M50 Boulevard that I traded in, but as soon as I left I knew I'd done the right thing. The 919 ROCKS! Now I see what you all are talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Congrats! Black is the fastest color, ya know.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Hey congrats on the new ride! It's always tough to trade in a bike and watch it get taken away. But that first ride home on the new bike kills any regret. And the 9'er is so much more fun than a cruiser! You got miles of smiles ahead!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Hey congrats on the new ride! It's always tough to trade in a bike and watch it get taken away. But that first ride home on the new bike kills any regret. And the 9'er is so much more fun than a cruiser! You got miles of smiles ahead!
I rode it about 60 miles today and you couldn't slap the grin off my face. If it were warmer than 40 degrees here I'd be riding it now!

post #5 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Wrench wannabe

Now first things first get that snowshovel of a plate holder off of that beautiful bike.

post #6 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns900f View Post
Now first things first get that snowshovel of a plate holder off of that beautiful bike.
I'm gonna tend to that tomorrow when I'm doing the bafflectomy. How did you guys go about getting the stickers off the gas tank? (not the emblems, but the warning stickers) The previous owner never took them off.

post #7 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
I'm gonna tend to that tomorrow when I'm doing the bafflectomy. How did you guys go about getting the stickers off the gas tank? (not the emblems, but the warning stickers) The previous owner never took them off.
OMG
Thats the best personal license EVER!!!! Couldn't tell you how to get the sticker off. Mine is still on also. hehe Congrats! You are going to LOVE this bike. I went riding today with a friend and let him take the 919 and I could 't take my eyes off it and found myself getting jelious.

post #8 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

You got a great bike. Have fun. I have had my 05 since July and you still see me smile when I am on it.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #9 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
A hair dryer and a spray of WD40 and they'll be off in no time. The ones on the chainguard are little more stubborn but they'll peel off too.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #10 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Welcome to the 9r party! Taking it on a twisty road, braking or accelerating should be stark differences to the RIP cruiser.

post #11 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome!!

post #12 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
For those of you who don't know, I'm new here, and I finally was able to pick up my 2002 919 from the dealer last night. It was tough watching them wheel away my M50 Boulevard that I traded in, but as soon as I left I knew I'd done the right thing. The 919 ROCKS! Now I see what you all are talking about.
So how in the heck did your bike make it four years without the fender getting chopped, new pipes, or the stickers getting taken off? That must be some kind of record.
How many miles does she have on her?

post #13 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A hair dryer and a spray of WD40 and they'll be off in no time. The ones on the chainguard are little more stubborn but they'll peel off too.
Thanks! I'll give it the old college try tomorrow.

post #14 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
So how in the heck did your bike make it four years without the fender getting chopped, new pipes, or the stickers getting taken off? That must be some kind of record.
How many miles does she have on her?
I couldn't believe it either. It's all completely intact, except I think it's missing some of the decals since it doesn't say 919 on it anywhere. It's got 8400 miles, and I'm guessing that the previous owner had never had a bike before this one, as in the owners manual he (or she) had underlined a lot of stuff that is just basic common sense to most riders, like shifting before redline, and pulling in the clutch to start the bike. I almost feel bad modifying it seems how it's so original. (Almost being the key word here!)

post #15 of 46 Old 11-18-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was afraid that something like wd40 would stain the finish. Is this how you did it to yours? If so, did you just wash it afterward?

post #16 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
I was afraid that something like wd40 would stain the finish. Is this how you did it to yours? If so, did you just wash it afterward?
yes washes off with a little gasoline kidding of course. Soap and water will get it off. WD40 is good for cleaning lots of places on the bike (swing arm, chain & sprockets, etc.)

welcome and congrates. you got the best year and color btw.

post #17 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so the bafflectomy is done! It was easier then I thought it would be. It sounds great! Also, I went ahead and got rid of the bicycle reflectors and clutter. It'll do until I make a fender eliminator. So, is it my imagination, or is it a tad faster after the bafflectomy? I swear that the front wheel lifts easier now, especially in first gear. Did any of you notice this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mods 002.jpg (268.3 KB, 69 views)

post #18 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I'm used to old turbo bikes when after making them breathe easier (open exhaust w/k&n) it's crucial to richen the mixture to keep it from leaning out. When, if at all, does that become an issue with the 919? Mine's still got oem cans too which will eventually get changed.

post #19 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
The 919 comes fairly rich from the factory. With a bafflectomy, you're probably okay with the stock map, but you'll most likely want to get a PC3 in the long run. The power will be smoother and you'll probably get better mpg, too.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #20 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I'm used to old turbo bikes when after making them breathe easier (open exhaust w/k&n) it's crucial to richen the mixture to keep it from leaning out. When, if at all, does that become an issue with the 919? Mine's still got oem cans too which will eventually get changed.
I'm no expert on the 919 yet, but from what others have been saying the bike runs a little rich to begin with, so you can get by with modifying the exhaust without problems. I just rode about 80 miles with my newly debaffled cans and I have to say, I can't imagine it sounding or performing much different with aftermarkets. Personally, I don't think you can beat the stockers in terms of style, so I am thrilled with the results. It's almost as if Honda knew people would do this, so they just designed the mufflers to sound good and the air mixture to work right with the baffles removed. It's the first time I've ever modified the factory mufflers and not had to re-jet, or reprogram in this case. And I thought I'd have to spend $500 on a set of cans! I already love this bike....

post #21 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I just rode about 80 miles with my newly debaffled cans and I have to say, I can't imagine it sounding or performing much different with aftermarkets. Personally, I don't think you can beat the stockers in terms of style, so I am thrilled with the results. It's almost as if Honda knew people would do this, so they just designed the mufflers to sound good and the air mixture to work right with the baffles removed. It's the first time I've ever modified the factory mufflers and not had to re-jet, or reprogram in this case. And I thought I'd have to spend $500 on a set of cans! I already love this bike....
+1 on all that, I am also very satisfied with the bafflectomy.

post #22 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 05:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Hooligan, I ran baffleectomised cans for a long time. Aint nithin wrong `em.

In the meantime, stick your lower licence plate holes in the licence plate bracket. This will get your plate just under the licence plate light. Actually you'll have to bend your plate a little to make it fit. Now get out a carpenters knife with a new blade and a straight edge and nip the fender. A corse file to round things off and your in business. Some people do the eliminator, but my reasoning is: it's a street bike, so where's the shame in it looking like one?

Congrats on the fine choice of bikes, be safe. Sniper

post #23 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Hooligan, I ran baffleectomised cans for a long time. Aint nithin wrong `em.

In the meantime, stick your lower licence plate holes in the licence plate bracket. This will get your plate just under the licence plate light. Actually you'll have to bend your plate a little to make it fit. Now get out a carpenters knife with a new blade and a straight edge and nip the fender. A corse file to round things off and your in business. Some people do the eliminator, but my reasoning is: it's a street bike, so where's the shame in it looking like one?

Congrats on the fine choice of bikes, be safe. Sniper
Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to figure out how I can clean it up without losing the blinkers, so I'll mock it up that way and see what I think. I already flipped the plate bracket over, which raised it a bit and angled it out some, but I didn't think about moving it up to the bottom holes. Now I just need to find some smaller but just as bright turn signals...

post #24 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the DIY exhaust upgrade. I'd advise keeping the stock blinkers. Those large lensed incadecents are bright "from the side" to assist lane changes in tight traffic. From your thoughts I am inspired to trim the shovel! My best value upgrades were windscreen, fork springs, flapper, plasma bulb, airhorn, braided lines, synthetic oil, renthals, and tires. It's a great reward to go for a ride and benchmark the improvement.

post #25 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Thumbs up Reccomendation

This fender eliminator will allow you to keep old lights and have a clean "no shovel" look. I have it on my bike and I'm very happy. :santa:

http://underbid.com/action/display/i.../20300157.html

post #26 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
This fender eliminator will allow you to keep old lights and have a clean "no shovel" look. I have it on my bike and I'm very happy. :santa:

http://underbid.com/action/display/i.../20300157.html
Do you have a pic of your bikes setup?

post #27 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Congrats on the DIY exhaust upgrade. I'd advise keeping the stock blinkers. Those large lensed incadecents are bright "from the side" to assist lane changes in tight traffic. From your thoughts I am inspired to trim the shovel! My best value upgrades were windscreen, fork springs, flapper, plasma bulb, airhorn, braided lines, synthetic oil, renthals, and tires. It's a great reward to go for a ride and benchmark the improvement.
I'm pretty handy with a dremel, so tonight I drilled some new mounting holes, raising the liscense plate but keeping the angle I got by flipping the bracket, and whacked off the shovel, but in a way that looks like it could be stock in my opinion. I couldn't get a good pic of it tonight, but I'll take one tomorrow in the daylight to show you. If you ruin it, It probably wouldn't be too hard to find another around here!
What windscreen do you have?

post #28 of 46 Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
whacked off the shovel, but in a way that looks like it could be stock in my opinion. I couldn't get a good pic of it tonight, but I'll take one tomorrow in the daylight to show you.
What windscreen do you have?
Great description, I look forward to the dremel inspiring pix! I've got the windchill certified national cycle touring huge GT screen. It has a four point quick mount to remove in 5minutes when the temp hits 50o.

post #29 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pics of the whacked fender. It's still kinda hard to tell, but I followed the factory lines for the most part and made it look as if the plastic that comes down where the blinkers attach is a brackett just for mounting. It looks pretty good in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail 007.jpg (285.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg tail 008.jpg (228.7 KB, 57 views)

post #30 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Nice job, looks Good

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #31 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Hooligan inspired me into action with a dry wall saw and file to remove the shovel! I bent the inverted bar in a vice more vertical. Now it looks much better than stock! No reason to spend $80 on it. I added a seal under the license plate so there's no space to squirt water into the tail electronics.

post #32 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome to the 9er land. You are now mod addicted.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #33 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Unbannable

It looks good. You could also cut half an inch off both sides of the metal bracket so it won't stick out.

Eventually you may want to look into an integrated tail light or flush mounts.

post #34 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I left about a 1/4" of plastic below my license plate but mine looks basically the same.

We share the streets with people that are not always paying a whole lot of attention. I don't like the integrated turnsignals. They're hard to see, which makes them dangerous. I went with the small aluminum "bullet" turn signals. Even at that, I use hand signals also.

post #35 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
It looks good. You could also cut half an inch off both sides of the metal bracket so it won't stick out.

Eventually you may want to look into an integrated tail light or flush mounts.
Good call; next time I'm messin around in the garage I'll probably hack off some of that metal.

post #36 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I left about a 1/4" of plastic below my license plate but mine looks basically the same.

We share the streets with people that are not always paying a whole lot of attention. I don't like the integrated turnsignals. They're hard to see, which makes them dangerous. I went with the small aluminum "bullet" turn signals. Even at that, I use hand signals also.
I agree with you 100% on this one. I don't want to do anything that may make me less visable to all the people who are oblivious to their surroundings anyhow. Some ultra bright, more compact blinkers would be a nice touch though. Anyone have any recommendations?

post #37 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Hooligan inspired me into action with a dry wall saw and file to remove the shovel! I bent the inverted bar in a vice more vertical. Now it looks much better than stock! No reason to spend $80 on it. I added a seal under the license plate so there's no space to squirt water into the tail electronics.
You've done it now! This is how it all begins!

post #38 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You've done it now! This is how it all begins!
Thanks Hooligan for the inspiration! I've had too much fun dialing it in.

Last Sunday we caught a $200K Ferrari F430 (see pix) in the twisties. We were having more fun than he was for a tiny fraction the price!
Sunday mornings I thank God for the internet, golf, football/TV and game consoles. Those are great activities to keep traffic off my twisties!

post #39 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Congrats on the new bike man.

post #40 of 46 Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Unbannable

The Clear Alternatives integrated tail light will light up half of the tail light with yellow LED's making a greater lit surface area than any blinker. IMO it's safer and better looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode