Pair Valve Block Off Plates - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Pair Valve Block Off Plates

Hello,

I am looking to buy some block off plates for 06 919. Is it still possible to order them from this forum? Can anyone recommend buying them from another website?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
We're in the same boat buddy. I don't think you can buy them here anymore (i might be wrong). Revzilla has some black block off plates for $30. IIRC I think you use the same bolts but you have to cut them a little bit shorter.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ff-plate-honda

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Josh

Garage
I had some of these delivered to my house today:
Emission Pair Smog Block Off Plate for Honda CBR RR 1000 954 929 600 | eBay

I'll let you know how they look and how the install goes.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Josh

Garage
The Pulse Racing plates that I posted above are beautifully finished, and high quality. Unfortunately they are not compatible with the 919 without some modification. The 919 has a little nub on the valve cover that either needs to be filed down or a notch needs to be put into the plates. I used a round file and put a notch in the plates.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Tirone

Out of context of buying, BUT.. Aside from the slight weight savings, why block off plates? I also get the need for them during dyno tuning... which my 919 will never get.
Just have been seeing a lot of guys adding "remove air pump, charcoal can, evap system and PCV" of list of performance mods. Am I missing a added performance gain short of wieght?
I have a fully wrapped exhaust paired with D&D slip ons and when I let off the throttle, i get flames from the pipes. I imagine I would lose those if I stopped pumping fresh air into the exhaust. I don't wanna lose my flames

post #6 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Your tune is really fucked up if you are blowing flames out the pipes period.

PAIR Plates are easy to find and always have been
Kyle Racing block off plates for 929/954/F4/F4i/600RR/919/1000RR

post #7 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Your tune is really fucked up if you are blowing flames out the pipes period.[/url]
Oh hell, he spelled period, it must be truth. OOORRR, I have wrapped pipes so I retain exhaust heat and air velocity through the exhaust. So when I let off the throttle, the unburned fuel is heated, mixed with air from the PAIR system and ignites.
Both my bikes, which have wrapped pipes, do it. But hell, I could have two bikes with "fucked up" tunes. I'm guessing Honda released the "fucked up" tune on a special edition of the 919. You know, since my bike is essentially stock otherwise.
Then there is my XJ650 with spits flames. it has a microsquirt controlling 05 R6 throttle bodies and injectors. It is tuned at 12.7afr under WOT by O2. Could also have the 'fucked up' tune installed though.

Hope you know trolling when you see it... Don't get your undies in a bunch, all in good fun.

Bigger issue, are there other benefits to removing these systems?

post #8 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow07 View Post
Oh hell, he spelled period, it must be truth. OOORRR, I have wrapped pipes so I retain exhaust heat and air velocity through the exhaust. So when I let off the throttle, the unburned fuel is heated, mixed with air from the PAIR system and ignites.
Both my bikes, which have wrapped pipes, do it. But hell, I could have two bikes with "fucked up" tunes. I'm guessing Honda released the "fucked up" tune on a special edition of the 919. You know, since my bike is essentially stock otherwise.
Then there is my XJ650 with spits flames. it has a microsquirt controlling 05 R6 throttle bodies and injectors. It is tuned at 12.7afr under WOT by O2. Could also have the 'fucked up' tune installed though.

Hope you know trolling when you see it... Don't get your undies in a bunch, all in good fun.

Bigger issue, are there other benefits to removing these systems?

So you wrapped your pipes on your stock bike, but didn't actually tune the bike to take advantage of the additional scavenging. What you just thought it looked cool to wrap the pipes? Either way, again your tune is fucked up. I have wrapped a lot of exhausts over the years and without a tune applied to it the wrap generally costs you both horsepower and drivability. What I can tell you for sure is in all my years I have never had a wrapped exhaust bike that shot flames consistently out of the exhaust on deceleration and have rarely seen it on pure racebikes unless they were running some sort of advanced ECU like the magneti marelli units where they intentionally add fuel between shifts or cut timing for TC etc.

I even took the time to expound on exhaust wrapping in one of my exhaust articles
ROGUE RC51 EXHAUST INFORMATION PAGE

Additionally if you are running an O2 sensor on a bike that still retains the PAIR system then your sensor readings are skewed to begin. The very first thing done when creating a new mapping is block off or remove any fresh air injection to the bike. Contrary to popular myth of the PAIR system affecting on deceleration only, it does mess with your overall AFR at various throttle engagements.

Back to your question. The benefits of removing the PAIR system is as you mentioned less weight as well as less clutter and the aforementioned correction of the Lambda sensor readings.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Tirone

Lots of info on that link. Thanks

If its just saving me weight, I'll pass. A 919 is not a race bike. I can see the perk to use them during dyno tuning but I would most likely just put the PAIR back on afterwards.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

On the Honda the PAIR lines are fed by a couple of rubber hoses which can be easily and temporarily clamped off with a hemostat or two when dyno tuning.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
919 Rider

Removing the pair valve setup will also clean up the head area under the tank. Removes a heap of clutter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode