PAIR removal question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

PAIR removal question

For those of you that did the PAIR removal mod on your 919 (or RC51), what did you use to cap the pair inlet holes and where did you get them from? I did it last year and used some plastic furniture sliders, but I do not like them. They are a pain in the a$$ to get on because they don't stretch and they keep cracking after repeated heating/cooling cycles. I am tired of removing my tank and I need something that is going to hold up for my long trip coming up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I got some alum. plate, traced old covers, cut, drill for bolt holes & wa-lah... pair valve covers. Doesn't look the greatest, but who's gonna see 'em?

post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
For those of you that did the PAIR removal mod on your 919 (or RC51), what did you use to cap the pair inlet holes and where did you get them from? I did it last year and used some plastic furniture sliders, but I do not like them. They are a pain in the a$$ to get on because they don't stretch and they keep cracking after repeated heating/cooling cycles. I am tired of removing my tank and I need something that is going to hold up for my long trip coming up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Please explain what the advantage here would be? What exactly does the PAIR valve do? I thought I read somewhere is scavenges air to the exhaust when the engine is decelerating and throttle is snapped closed? More info please!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Nail on the head cycho. The PAIR system is designed to burn off unburnt fuel in the exhaust by sending air into the exhaust. This can cause popping, or, in my case, flames. Removing it has no performance gain at all, you just lose a few ounces of emission controls. Oh, BTW, that's all it's there for, emissions. The greenies are at fault for this one.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

nuff sed...

post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

Is there a write-up for the PAIR removal anywhere? I searched but can't seem to find anything... I like shaving weight.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirman View Post
Is there a write-up for the PAIR removal anywhere? I searched but can't seem to find anything... I like shaving weight.
I talked a little bit about it HERE. (11th post down)

It's fairly straight forward. Either cap the holes or make block-off plates. Your choice. If you make the block off plates for the 919 you can use the reed valve inserts as the seals.. you just have to remove the small screws for flat block-off plates to work. You will see when you get it off. It's nicer to use the block-off plates because it cleans up the top of your engine and allows easier access to the pesky spark plugs.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode