Painting the grab bar?? - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Naked bikes = Perma-grin
 
Asphalt 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 1
 
Painting the grab bar??

I've seen a couple asphalt black 919 on here with the grab bar painted a flat black. I love the look, and want to do the same to mine. Rather than experiment I thought I'd just ask. What did you use?? Brand?? Ect......

Did you spray clear over it, or just paint?

Thanks,
Luke

Asphalt 919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The best option is to have it powdercoated. I just used rattlecan primer and matte black, and then decided I didn't want it on the bike... it looks good though.

mdtoney is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
STR-III
 
cmurphy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 4,989
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt 919 View Post
I've seen a couple asphalt black 919 on here with the grab bar painted a flat black. I love the look, and want to do the same to mine. Rather than experiment I thought I'd just ask. What did you use?? Brand?? Ect......

Did you spray clear over it, or just paint?

Thanks,
Luke
I couldn't find the other thread about this so I don't have my exact paint numbers. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a can of Krylon Flat Black and a can of Krylon Matte Clear Coat. I also got some prep-all (???) and green scotch brite. It matches my Asphalt very very well.

Press Any Key To Continue.
cmurphy84 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Naked bikes = Perma-grin
 
Asphalt 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
The best option is to have it powdercoated. I just used rattlecan primer and matte black, and then decided I didn't want it on the bike... it looks good though.
Agreed, powder coating is the most durable, but costs $$$$.

Anyone painted or powdercoated the rear sets flat black??? I got to thinking about doing those too.....thinking that they might look smaller or not stick out if black....thoughts???

Asphalt 919 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
McCrimmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 3,726
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Powder coating the grab bar wouldn't be much...you might even find that some shops would just toss it in with bigger projects they are doing and charge you very little in the process...

Just my


2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
McCrimmon is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt 919 View Post
Anyone painted or powdercoated the rear sets flat black??? I got to thinking about doing those too.....thinking that they might look smaller or not stick out if black....thoughts???
I have my rearsets powdercoated and after a few months my left heel is already wearing through the powdercoat. You may have a different foot position when you ride and this won't be an issue. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and apparently I press my heel against the passenger portion - paint would have only lasted a couple days.

Also, I would recommend matte black (sometimes called semi-flat) instead of flat black, unless you want the flat black primer look. There's a noticable difference between the two.

mdtoney is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
STR-III
 
cmurphy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 4,989
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Also, I would recommend matte black (sometimes called semi-flat) instead of flat black, unless you want the flat black primer look. There's a noticable difference between the two.
Flat black is fine as long as you are going to cover it with a matte clear coat. I have some photos. I'll try to dig them out of the forum.

Press Any Key To Continue.
cmurphy84 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
STR-III
 
cmurphy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 4,989
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Here are some photos I took. I originally thought it was not a good match, but it actually is very, very close. Krylon Flat Black with Krylon Matte Clear on top.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...3&postcount=14

Press Any Key To Continue.
cmurphy84 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Praefectus Castrorum
 
brevity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,392
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Powder coating the grab bar wouldn't be much...you might even find that some shops would just toss it in with bigger projects they are doing and charge you very little in the process...
+1

It would take more leg work up front (finding a shop that would do it like McCrimmon suggests), but if they charged you more than $20 to do it, I'd be very surprised. The results will last much longer... Not that the rattle can option would look bad, it just won't last like the powder coat.

No matter which route you travel, be sure to remove the foam-type washers on the bar. Buy a couple of new ones and apply them after you paint/coat. It'll result in a much cleaner job.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

brevity is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Here are some photos I took. I originally thought it was not a good match, but it actually is very, very close. Krylon Flat Black with Krylon Matte Clear on top.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...3&postcount=14
The matte clear coat makes all the difference in the world! That looks so much better than straight flat black. Awesome job!!!!

mdtoney is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Legatus Legionis
 
SV650s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The woods of CT
Posts: 9,680
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Powder coating is preferred however if you care to go the painting route.

Hmmm...
919 Helpful Topics click,
Mr.Mike's 919 click.
Scroll down to read how the gab rail, side covers, and radiator side covers were painted.

A lot of information is a mouse click or two away.

SV650s is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south carolina
Posts: 90
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i had my grab rail powder coated along with many other things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 090.jpg (233.8 KB, 18 views)

2003 MATTE BLACK 919,POWDER COATED MUFFLER SHEILDS,BAFFLES REMOVED,GIVI 755 WIND SCREEN
BOUGHT 9/9/2008 395 MILES ,2ND BIKE 1983 V65
ROCK HILL, SC
wicked919 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Naked bikes = Perma-grin
 
Asphalt 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 1
 
Thanks guys! All good and useful info. I am going to check into the powdercoating. I know a good place that I've taken parts to in the past, like 8yrs ago.

I'll post up pictures so you can all see how it turns out.

Asphalt 919 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Naked bikes = Perma-grin
 
Asphalt 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 1
 
[QUOTE=mdtoney;292422] I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and apparently I press my heel against the passenger portion - paint would have only lasted a couple days.
QUOTE]

MMmmmm, I tend to ride in this position too. Actually I sometimes ride with my heel resting on the top of the passenger rear set...

Asphalt 919 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Machine Head
 
ideajones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,168
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I have my rearsets powdercoated and after a few months my left heel is already wearing through the powdercoat. You may have a different foot position when you ride and this won't be an issue. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and apparently I press my heel against the passenger portion - paint would have only lasted a couple days.

Also, I would recommend matte black (sometimes called semi-flat) instead of flat black, unless you want the flat black primer look. There's a noticable difference between the two.
Can you use some tank grip on that spot ? (black rubber)

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
ideajones is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Naked bikes = Perma-grin
 
Asphalt 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
Can you use some tank grip on that spot ? (black rubber)
Good thinkin'....cover that spot with something that looks nice......I like it

The asphalt black look is really an addiction. The more of it I get, the more I want!

Asphalt 919 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
Can you use some tank grip on that spot ? (black rubber)
I just noticed it a couple days ago so I'm thinking about what will work best on there. I'll post any ideas I come up with.

mdtoney is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome