3Likes
  • 1 Post By ray.beard
  • 1 Post By DSB_ESQ
  • 1 Post By g00gl3it

post #1 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Question Painting parts

Ok, so looking for some input/advice. I am planning on painting some of the trim black from the silver it is. I know powdercoating is the best long lasting option however bike down time and money are at issue. If down the road(a couple of years) I am not 100% happy with the result I will have them powdercoated. What kind of primer would work best and after I spray I would assume a nice clear coat would be good to use. Post up paint (basic black) spray brands you recommend. I plan on doing the rearsets, those small silver covers, the headlight brackets, the silver covers the rearsets bolt to and the headlight trim ring and possibly the gauge cover(not really needed as I have a buell windscreen that covers it.) I used the black rubber dipping on a few of the parts but it is starting to wear off and I am liking the blacked out look. I would love to do the forks and triples black but will wait on that until I tear it completely down in a few years for new berrings and a fork rebuild(only 11k miles on the bike)

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 AM
PB

I understand your reservations with powder coating, but you may want to call around and see what you can get. I'm dropping off parts today to get done and they're charging me $65 for the rear grab handle, both side covers, and the headlight ring. He said frankly, it'd cost less, but they have a minimum charge, which I understand. Having spent the time to plastidip those parts last year, $65 is well worth the time it would otherwise take me to do it myself. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just suggesting you see what's out there.

post #3 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I agree ^^, just accept the downtime and do it right the first time. It look so much better than paint.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #4 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The next time I have something powdercoated, I'm gonna wait until I have a giant pile of parts for the same color. Maybe i'll strip a bike down to the frame so I feel better about the pricing

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
The next time I have something powdercoated, I'm gonna wait until I have a giant pile of parts for the same color. Maybe i'll strip a bike down to the frame so I feel better about the pricing
Sounds familiar.

HeliMech likes this.

post #6 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 PM
The Cripple

You won't regret going with powder coating. I understand your concerns regarding down time. Just find replacements of the parts you want powder coated and send them off while you ride. After they are done, spend a day swapping your stock bits for powder coated bits. Then you can sell your stock bits at the same price you picked up your replacement parts in order to recoup your costs.

Worked extremely well for me and had a good deal due to the mass pile of parts I had powder coated at once.

post #7 of 24 Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM
PB

I just dropped the parts off at the shop and they said they'd be ready by the weekend, Monday at the latest. That's a quick turn around, so another reason to try to get them powder coated.

post #8 of 24 Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Tesserarius

i was thinking about painting those silver side covers recently.. i thought painting them to match the dark engine color of the later 919's would look good.. but maybe black looks better because it's right next to the black seat. thoughts?

is powdercoating also better for these?

post #9 of 24 Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Wrap them in the 3m Carbon Fiber wrap - looks pretty good:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1413 (Large).JPG (303.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1414 (Large).JPG (273.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415 (Large).JPG (348.0 KB, 25 views)

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 24 Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
PB

Goog, I think he was talking about the silver side covers. So, this:

Versus this:

The second picture was after I plasti-dipped the rear grab handle and those side covers. And yes, I agree that making them black along with the grab handle makes the black flow nicely from the tail up to the tank. I plasti-dipped to see if I liked the look and now I'm powder coating them along with the headlight ring. While I agree with others that the full on black and silver delete look is great, I think this is a nice compromise for a clean look that doesn't require a lot of work. Also, it groups the colors which I think the 919 really needs. There's too many types of silver and black on the bike originally. Now, if only those rearsets were the same silver as the swingarm and pivot support...

post #11 of 24 Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

AH, yes, of course he was... I was only skim reading and didn't realize it.

Yes, I would powdercoat those as well. That's the worst part to get to, however, since it involves dropping the swingarm, so you have to have the entire back end of the bike hoisted.

They do look good in black, though!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1641 (Large).JPG (222.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1655 (Large).JPG (170.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1667 (Large).JPG (238.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 12_rear shot of exhaust_doesn't that look SWEET!.jpg (296.5 KB, 19 views)

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 24 Old 03-24-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
AH, yes, of course he was... I was only skim reading and didn't realize it. Yes, I would powdercoat those as well. That's the worst part to get to, however, since it involves dropping the swingarm, so you have to have the entire back end of the bike hoisted. They do look good in black, though!!!
You have to
Drop the swimgarm to get those big covers that the rearsets mount to off??? I thought they were just covers? Really haven't investigated it too closely

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #13 of 24 Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 AM
PB

Yeah, it's a bigger undertaking than just unbolting them since the swingarm pivot goes through them. It's that spot with the black cover. Also, since the pivot is one sided, you need to pull out the entire rod to get both sides off so, as Goog pointed out, at that point you might as well take off the swingarm too and get that done at the same time.

If the rearsets were the lighter silver to match the swing arm, this wouldn't be an issue. I just never understood why the rearsets were the darker silver of the engine. It doesn't make any sense from a design perspective since all of the other silver components on the bike (engine side cover, lower forks, and headlight mount) are all the lighter silver. I just want to minimize the different colors on the bike, which is making me think I'm just going to end up blacking the whole thing out when I rebuild the front forks......

post #14 of 24 Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Tesserarius

actually...i just ment the small silver side panels under the tank

but good to know!

post #15 of 24 Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM
PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
You have to
Drop the swimgarm to get those big covers that the rearsets mount to off??? I thought they were just covers? Really haven't investigated it too closely
Dano was talking about the pieces the rearsets attach to, which is why I replied to him with the most recent post.

I knew you were talking about the ones up under the tank, which is why I posted the pictures in post 10 to clarify. No worries.

post #16 of 24 Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Tirone

Matte black for the silver side panels and grab handle give a good look and helps them blend in a little. Just have to be reeeeally careful not to scratch them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2361874290.jpg (94.8 KB, 66 views)

post #17 of 24 Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Why do you have a crossbow attached to the front of your bike?

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 24 Old 03-25-2016, 12:09 PM
PB

Looks like a ballista. Was that one of the concept bikes from the Walking Dead?
CKutz_GO likes this.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Tirone

Didn't notice the fine work of Filipinoaviator behind the bike when I posted the pic haha. Painter and ballista builder he is.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-26-2016, 12:22 PM
McTavish

Quote:
How difficult is it to get that stuff one bubble free picture perfect ?
Does it release if one gets into it and realizes the need to restart, such that it can still be used again?

post #21 of 24 Old 03-27-2016, 12:32 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Quote:
How difficult is it to get that stuff one bubble free picture perfect ?
Does it release if one gets into it and realizes the need to restart, such that it can still be used again?
It's pretty straightforward...Just keep it warm with a hair dryer and it is very pliable. You can peel it back off if you need to readjust; they also make an adhesive you can use if you want a stronger bond. I didn't use any adhesive on the front side, but used hot glue liberally on the inside seams to keep it from peeling back.

If you do get any bubbles after wrapping, just light score the material with a knife or pin and press the air out.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #22 of 24 Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM
McTavish

Quote:
It's pretty straightforward...Just keep it warm with a hair dryer and it is very pliable. You can peel it back off if you need to readjust; they also make an adhesive you can use if you want a stronger bond. I didn't use any adhesive on the front side, but used hot glue liberally on the inside seams to keep it from peeling back.

If you do get any bubbles after wrapping, just light score the material with a knife or pin and press the air out.
Thanks for all the insight and added info.

post #23 of 24 Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Ian

Quote:

Here is a post I made a few years back that details my DIY vinyl wrap process.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ips-30473.html

post #24 of 24 Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 AM
PB

I picked up the parts from the powder coater yesterday. They were ready earlier, but I was out of town. I had him do the tips of the bolts for the rear grab handle too and I'll leave the ones on the side covers silver to match with the rest of the hardware. All said and done, $65 and that was just because they have a minimum fee they charged. Echoing what others have said, it's definitely the way to go. I'll update with pics once I get them on the 919, as soon as this snow melts...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode