Painting heat shields - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Painting heat shields

Ok so i am strapt for cash and time etc

i was thinking about sanding the heat shields down with 600 grit then prime then sand with 8080 prime again then paint paint paint like 10 coatrs and let it cure in the oven or something idk

What are your guys thoughts on this

Also anyone that had any powdercoating done on their bikes how much did it cost?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It would have to be heat resistant paint if it's going to last.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 16 Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

idk if its true but ive read on somewhere that they dont get over like 150 or something and most paint can handle that

post #4 of 16 Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
919 City Pilot

ruff em up a lil with scotch brite, I did no primer 2 coats alternating between flat black and a metal flake dark gey......soild allmost matches perfect and does not scratch easy.... dont think about it to hard....easy! they dont get that hot to worry about~

post #5 of 16 Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

Hey can you post up some pics of how yours came out? im gonna do mine first thing in the mornign if its not raining

post #6 of 16 Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

woooo, easy on the grit there.. 600 dry is probably about as high as you'll want to go for prep.. i'd reccomend 320...

those insanely high grits are for color sanding, and clear knockdown, which are used on finishing.. and not good for paint adhesion

as your going on direct metal,,, thin out your primer, this stuff is porous, and any amount of thickness on that much of a heat sensitive area will pop the paint, regardless how high a quality, or humidity, or temps during spray.. id also stay away from a catalyst based paint... unless you can give it ample time to dry, heat will cycle it and youll end up with ghosting, splotching, or even orange peel....

of course in rattlecan your options are limited....

also, check out alsacorp.com they make some of the craziest paints, additives, effects and so on....
they make the worlds first non-pigmented black paint, a chrome paint that has 98% reflectivity of chrome... and crystalizing paints, thermal changing paints, and well, damnnear anything.. films, fabrics, leather...
AHem...
BUT they also make a prime and prep sealer coat and coloring that is rated for use in fire!! kinda like bbq paint for stuff, but better,
called pyroproof... i think you can get it in smaller quantities,

but check it out anyway... i know your on a lowcost ideal here, but you'll spend more money later cleaning up the mess, and trying to remove botched paint....

post #7 of 16 Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 AM

I've found that powdercoating on parts this size isn't terribly expensive. I had a luggage bracket done on my last bike and it was only $40. So you might want to call some coating companies in your area and check.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

I got impatient and did it myself tofay i got a scotchbright esque scrub pad and brushed and roughed up the hell out of it then laid down a coat of primer then put on 100 degree+ rated spray paint on it about 4 times over each part. It looks good The color isnt as black as i want but thats only temporary till i get time to go buy the colors that i want and try to color match it cause right now its a pure flat black wich isnt bad but i want a little more gloss so i think im gonna go over it again another day.

BUT.. for now i must say GOD [email protected] my bike is sexy... it looks like a a ninja who could pop out and chop your head off so as you can tell im quite pleased with it.

I aslo threw on a carbon fiber buell windscreen that makes it that muchc sexier. So im about ready to go for a cruise after its completely dry and cruise some babes haha

post #9 of 16 Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there's temp rated paint available to stoves, exhausts and the like...

flat black 1200degree stuff ($5-$8 per rattle can)

ninja choppin off heads eh? <g>
when ridin in philly, i'll have to keep an eye on the shadows and see if one of them moves

post #10 of 16 Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
...The color isnt as black as i want but thats only temporary till i get time to go buy the colors that i want and try to color match it cause right now its a pure flat black wich isnt bad but i want a little more gloss so i think im gonna go over it again another day.
A great semi-flat black is Krylon "Rust Tough" (RTA 9203 Semi-Flat Black). I used it to paint the clutch cover on my 9er engine and it looks great. It has a slight sheen to it or semi-gloss look. It has been way tough as only direct impacts from a rock or two have only slightly chipped it. I buy it at Autozone. The engine side cover gets about as hot as the exhaust heat shields, if not hotter. It has held up for almost 2 years and over 14,000 miles. Note: I didn't prime before I painted but it was heavily sanded to get out the gouges that were in it from touching the ground.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #11 of 16 Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Powdercoating is the way to go!! did it in my buddies basement - Cheap!

post #12 of 16 Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows View Post
Powdercoating is the way to go!! did it in my buddies basement - Cheap!
I heard you mention that before. did you just use a reagular household oven?

post #13 of 16 Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

if you want flat black you can use the spray paint that is made for grills " 1200 degree" . You can get it from any hardware store.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

yes - just a regular electric oven he has in his basement just for these projects.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Unbannable

That looks really good shadows. Take the color out of your turn signals and maybe loose the reflectors and you'll have one slick bike.

You migh even be as cool as David Hastlehoff from Knight Rider.

How do you like those bar end mirrors?
Where did you get them too? Thanks!

post #16 of 16 Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I need to get a new picture - I've gone with the CA integrated with the smoke lens - there is no color back there - and have removed the front blinkers and replaced them with smoked Flushmounts with LED Boards - No Color up there - the only color on the bike is the spark plug wires and the rear spring. this winter's project will be to send the header into be Jetcoated. getting closer and closer to the Stealth bike i envision. I do need to something about that big ass F4i front fender though......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode