Overheated Battery - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Overheated Battery

I seem to have a problem with my battery overheating. I have an '02 919 and for the past two summers, my battery has died at the end of a long, hot ride in the middle of July or August (this is a very late post). Now this isn't just my battery discharging and simply needing some time hooked up to the battery tender, my battery dies. It stops holding a charge at all.

Each time this has happened, it has been a very hot day, and I have gotten stuck in traffic for the last 30 minutes of my ride. Extreme heat and long periods of idling are known to murder batteries.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen and if there is any kind of solution. Something to keep the battery cool? Otherwise I'm going to have to buy stock in Yuasa.

I know some of you will say, "What the hell are you doing sitting in traffic on a hot day? Split it!" Unfortunately, New Jersey hasn't seen the light to make it legal and people sitting in tunnel traffic on their way to NYC are just the kind of people who would open a door out of spite.

Anyway, has anyone else had problems with hot batteries and did they come up with any ideas to counter it? Thanks.

-Nate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

That battery has exceeded its life expectancy. Just grab a new one and be done with it.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If it is the OEM battery, you have gotten a decent amount of life out of it after nearly 5 years of use. If you are concerned, check your charging system to ensure the proper amount of current is getting to the battery. Periodically remove the battery, clean the sides, and clean the posts with a copper bristled toothbrush. Apply a dielectric compound to counter any debris and corrosion from building on the terminals. Other than that, unless you can remove anything that impedes airflow to the battery tray, there is not much else to do.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

My .02c FWIW:

I do not think your battery is overheating, sounds more like it is not holding a charge or it is weak. Sitting in traffic idling does not give the charging system time to do it's job.

I would first check the battery terminal connections to insure they are clean and above all tight. Next test the battery terminal voltage. A fully charged battery should read between 12.8 and 13.2 volts. Below 12.3 volts a slow charge with a battery tender is recommended. Start the bike, throttle up to 5,000 RPM's, the battery terminal voltage should be around 15.5 volts.

Do not sell these Yuasa maintenance free batteries short, my 2002 is still original, I had a similar one in a 650 Hawk-GT that was 8 years old and still going strong when the bike was sold.

Welcome to WT...

post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
That battery has exceeded its life expectancy. Just grab a new one and be done with it.
This has happened twice. The second time was with a 1-year-old battery.

The charging system seems fine.

Once I'm done sitting in traffic, I am on city streets that don't allow for very high revs (I'm lucky to hit 4000rpm in first gear for maybe a block before I have to stop at the next street.)

So is it better to rev an unloaded engine while sitting in traffic to keep the charging system going? Or should I do laps around my block once I get home?

Thanks for the speedy responses.

-Nate

post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site. If it's really that bad a situation buy a battery tender and throw it on there once you get home.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think Jim has a valid solution. If the bike isn't revving constant, the bike's charging system may not have enough time to actually charge the battery. Invest in a battery tender, and connect it when the bike isn't being ridden.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Deltran Battery Tender Plus

or:

Deltran Battery Tender Junior

Buy either one and keep it hooked up to the battery while the bike is at home. They come with a quick disconnect.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thanks. I forgot about that solution. I actually already own a tender (for the winter). I guess I'll hook up the pigtails and just plug it in after every ride.

Thanks again.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you're sitting in traffic on a hot day, your fan is going to kick on. Your fan running while idling will drain a battery... that, and yours is shot. Yours outlasted the one in my 929 by a year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode