Oil leak - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak

I never thought I'd utter this phrase: My Honda 919 has an oil leak. It's got <600 miles on it, so I assume it's a dealership prep problem -- rather than an factory problem.

It seems to be leaking only while riding it. It can sit for days without leaking one drop of oil, but ride her for 6 miles, and the oil's seeping out from somewhere in the area of the collar/platform on which the oil filter sits. It does not seem to be the filter -- no leaks from the contact area. Is that collar removable? There are also 2 oil lines that attach to this collar. They are secured by hose clamps.

I'm hoping that's the source, but it's not so obvious -- they don't seem lose. I will be taking it back to the dealer, but that's >40 miles away from home.

Any ideas?? Anyone else ever have a similar leak? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

At 600 miles I am sure they will fix it for free under warranty.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

That's my take on it too, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this leak. Thanks!

post #4 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The collar you mention is an oil/coolant heat exchanger, and the lines to it are coolant, not oil. If the oil is appearing from between the engine case and the body of the exchanger it is almost certainly the sealing o-ring damaged on installation or and undertightened central mounting bolt, neither of which is serious enough to prevent riding back to the dealer for repair. If, however, the oil is coming directly from the exchanger there may be a problem with a weld or a crack which could fail completely, depositing the entire 4 quarts of oil on the road directly in front of the rear tire. You can imagine the consequences of this. A bit of advice: call the dealer and inform them of the nature of the problem so they can have the proper parts on hand for repair. You could do this yourself, but would still need the proper o-ring, so let the warranty handle it: that's what it's there for.

Rob

post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
call the dealer and inform them of the nature of the problem so they can have the proper parts on hand for repair
You were kidding, right?
If it's anything like my local dealer: he'll take it in & leave it. Four days later they'll look at it & order what they need. Parts arrive 7-10 days later. Four more days then parts are put on. Should be about 3 wks turnaround.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

In the mean time, old pizza boxes make excellent oil soaker-uppers. Just slide one under the bike and when it's saturated, just throw it away and replace with another. Easy clean-up with little or no mess, what more can you ask for. Of course you will have to eat more pizza in order to have a supply of pizza boxes on hand.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Rob:

Thanks for the detailed description. I was wondering how those plumbing parts all related to each other. My dealer is pretty cool, so I think I'll take your advice. The leaking does seem worse (or at least more noticeable) than it was when I bought the bike.

mark

ps Upon close inspection, it does indeed seem to be the o-ring problem. With engine running, there is visible, but slow, seepage from the contact area between the exchanger and the block. Thanks for the heads-up, Rob!

post #8 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Unbannable

Whenever my bike is parked out in the sun for a while there will be some vapors collecting and leaking out one of the tubes. It's normal but I thought I had a leak at first too.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Wha???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Whenever my bike is parked out in the sun for a while there will be some vapors collecting and leaking out one of the tubes. It's normal but I thought I had a leak at first too.
Vapors? Of what nature? No leak is normal, except possibly the few drops from the reserve tank vent hose.
If there is any coolant residue showing at any hose/pipe fitting at any time it is indicating a problem, if only a slightly loose hose clamp. In the long term, the leakage path will build up crystalline coolant solids which will force the hose away from the fitting, erode the metal of the pipe, and cut the rubber of the hose by a simple mechanical process similar to sandpapering. Eventually, it will leak regardless of how tight the clamp is, so address this now before you have to start replacing parts. Also, carefully inspect the end of the hose at the fitting: if there are green deposits showing at the ends of the reinforcing fabric braid between the inner and outer layers of rubber it usually indicates a slight split in the inner rubber allowing coolant through to the fabric, and the hose should be replaced immediately. Better a preventative replacement now than a catastrophic hose failure some time in the future which could put you on your head, or at the very least strand you somewhere with an overheated motor.
I don't wish to sound alarmist, but I've seen too many cooling system failures that could have been prevented with a little foresight.

Rob

post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Discen

Gtimark, you did not oil the chain right before you found the leak did you? I use gear oil to lube the chain and even though I wipe it off couple times, after first ride I might still have couple oil drops from the front sprocket guard area

post #11 of 13 Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey Serge,

No. I wish it was something like that. Mine truly seems to be leaking from the seal between the heat exchanger and the block, just like Rob suggested. But, thanks for the input, I appreciate it

post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Got the bike back from the Honda dealer. The O-ring was bad and they "discovered" that the water pump also was bad!! What gives!??? The bike has only 550 miles on it!! Where's the quality I've come to expect from Honda?

Anyone else ever heard of a bad water pump?? BTW: the bike gave no indication of a bad pump outside of a drop of coolant once or twice since last summer. The coolant seemed to be coming out of the overflow line.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimark View Post
BTW: the bike gave no indication of a bad pump outside of a drop of coolant once or twice since last summer. The coolant seemed to be coming out of the overflow line.
I found the 9er to be very prone to doing this if the coolant is .000000023" above the normal line. When I changed coolant it would weep out after a hard ride until I took a squeeze bulb and got the level to "normal" per the manual. Since then it's all been good, 4000+ miles later.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode