Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Oil in the air box.

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rockdog32 
#1 ·
While I was doing the valve inspection, I noticed a black substance on the outside of the air box right where it starts to connect to the fuel injectors. Just on the left side though. I traced it all the way down to the air cleaner. Opened her up and what do you know. Oil and dirt (pretty sure about that one) inside the air box. Anyone else ever come across this? I am thinking lots of reasons, but not sure where to start. Since it is just one side, bad injector? Bad gasket or seal? Piston ring? Or is it just simply from downshifting? I cleaned it all up, but forgot to take pics before hand. I am going to ride it for a couple of days and see if it comes back. Have to get a new air filter though. Thanks.

Brian

#2 ·
Brian,

I saw the same thing on the left side of my bike after getting it out after winter. I also noticed just the smallest sign of oil seepage around the left side valve cover gasket. I didn't have any oil on the filter, but did have a few drops worth inside the intake/cover. I know this doesn't help you but it is nice to know I'm not the only one who had a little oil in the airbox.

-Chris

#4 ·
I thought about that when I looked. The breather had a tiny bit of oil at the bottom (which I cleaned out), but it wasn't anywhere near full. Heck, half-full for that matter. My air filter reeks like oil :thumbdown: though.

I am definitely not passing up the fact that I might have put a little too much oil in on the last oil change. I just changed it Thursday so I'll see what happens this week. Thank you. I am really hoping it still came from the breather.

#12 ·
Checked that one. He is torqued.

one word for you: webcam.

also, you think YOU got it bad? i recently noticed air in my bike's oil box !
:bugeyes: Yikes that sucks. But a shop vac and some real quick moves to put the oil cap back on should do the trick.

#9 ·
you can't remember the last time YOU have, but for one example, i used to know where my friend Dan's older brother kept the key to his CX500 Custom.

yeah, i don't think Ron ever figured out how that turn signal got scraped the way it did. "the way it did" being me running it off the road and into the snow, scraping it on some gravel along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.