Oil filter - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oil filter

I am getting ready to change the oil and started wondering if any other oil filters would work on this. I got my last one at the Honda dealer and felt ripped off for 15 bucks or so. Any car filters at oreilly work? Surely a kia or something tiny might work? (I'm CHEAP!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Immune

Mine has a K&N filter on it

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #3 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Optio

I've been using the PL-14620 in my cycle and four-wheeler. About 6.50 at an auto parts store and supposed to be about the best filter out there.

Here's a pretty good page to study up.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

Another one
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

post #4 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I know I'll get lots of grief about this, but I've been using Fram PH6607. I've used Fram filters on all my bikes going on 20 years without any problems whatsoever. These can be bought at Murrays, Walmart, etc.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikjmaser View Post
Mine has a K&N filter on it
If he's cheap, I doubt he'd be interested in a K&N.

post #6 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Super Tech ST6607

The best deal in town! Go to Walmart and get the Super Tech ST6607. It's only like $2 and is one of the best rated filters you can get. Suppose to be much better than Fram and as good or better than most of the other name brands.

post #7 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedcobra View Post
I am getting ready to change the oil and started wondering if any other oil filters would work on this. I got my last one at the Honda dealer and felt ripped off for 15 bucks or so. Any car filters at oreilly work? Surely a kia or something tiny might work? (I'm CHEAP!)
Here is a list I got somewhere once. the page is gone but I saved the list. Prices may very.

-------

Motorcycle-Specific Filters - (About 2.5 to 3 inches long)
Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 about $6.00
NAPA Gold 1358, Carquest 85358, WIX 51358 about $7 to $8
AC Delco PF2135 about $10
FRAM PH6017A about $7

Automobile Filters - (About 3.5 inches long - fit reference 1994 Mazda MX-3, V-6 Engine)
Mobil 1 M1-110 about $10
Bosch 3323 about $5
Purolator Pure One L14620 about $6
NAPA Gold 1356, Carquest 85356, WIX 51356 about $6
Deutsch D-370 about $4
AC Delco PF-2057 about $6
Motorcraft Long Life FL-821 about $4
STP S-02867 about $3
FRAM, Castrol, Penske 7317 about $3

Automobile Filters - (About 2.5 inches long - fit reference Mazda RX-7 and Miata)
Bosch 3300 about $5
NAPA Gold 1365 about $6
Purolator L14622 about $5
AC Delco PF1237 about $6
STP S-02876 about $3
FRAM PH6607 about $3
WalMart SuperTech ST6607 about $2

-------

I personally run the Mobil 1 M1-110. It's about $11 at Autozone. I can get an OEM filter for about the same price but I can't get an OEM filter at 21:30 on a Sunday evening 2 blocks from my house, if you get my drift?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #8 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If you're dealer is charging you $15 for a filter he is ripping you off. Talk to them. I get mine for $4-5/apiece.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedcobra View Post
Oil filter is one thing I will never go Aftermarket with because the OEM filter is that good and for a couple of dollars, it ain't worth switching.

Now, being said that, I am hoping your dealer gave you a big ole kiss and a jar of KY with the filter. MSRP on that filter is $ 11.98 so... 15 bucks even after taxes is a little out there.

We usually sell them for $ 9.50 and that is even after we pay the dealer their markup.

You should definately go talk to the Parts Manager about the price and if he doesn't look like he cares, escalate it to the GM or Owner of the place. If none of them give a rats a$$, get the hell out of there and start looking for a new local dealer or Online shop that can hook you up.

Oh and Jimbo, unless your local parts boy is stealing those filters and pocketing the money , they are not 4 or 5 bucks ya hear... unless of course you are doing special favors to him as well

post #10 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I just got home and checked the receipt from yesterday. I bought two gallons of GN4 and two oil filters. The filters were $5.45/each. That's without special favors. He said one night with RC90 and I get free filters for a year!

I do buy just about all my motorcycle stuff there though.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I just got home and checked the receipt from yesterday. I bought two gallons of GN4 and two oil filters. The filters were $5.45/each. That's without special favors. He said one night with RC90 and I get free filters for a year!

I do buy just about all my motorcycle stuff there though.
Not that I don't believe you Jim is that... I don't believe you Can you tell me the part number you got? Believe me when I tell you that 5.45 is way below the regular Dealer cost for the recommended Honda oil filter.

Now, if the owner or parts manager of that store does not know what he is doing or don't have a computarized system, then I might believe that they are selling oil filters while loosing money. Off road filters are about 5.99 a piece (MSRP) so he might have used that filter cost as the cost for the street oil filter.

post #12 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Aquilifer

This is the filter I put on my 919

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8699

post #13 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post

FRAM PH6017A about $7
I was using this one on my Nighthawk and I believe it was recalled. Something about the thread engagement only being a half a turn on certain bikes. Not so with my bike, so I used 'em W/O problems

FRAM PH6607 about $3

This is the one I mentioned above, but it has a picture of a motorcycle on the box, so if it's used on cars, Fram must package it different.
All that being said, my belief is that if you're concerned at all about oil, filters and such, you're way ahead of the game. There are throngs of people out there who don't give changing their oil a second thought, much less dispute what oil / filter to use. The fact that we're changing the oil at all ensures a long life in these engines.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Not that I don't believe you Jim is that... I don't believe you Can you tell me the part number you got? Believe me when I tell you that 5.45 is way below the regular Dealer cost for the recommended Honda oil filter.

Now, if the owner or parts manager of that store does not know what he is doing or don't have a computarized system, then I might believe that they are selling oil filters while loosing money. Off road filters are about 5.99 a piece (MSRP) so he might have used that filter cost as the cost for the street oil filter.
Hell... he should buy about 50 of the filters before the owner figures it out!
Don't screw up a good deal.

post #15 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Hell... he should buy about 50 of the filters before the owner figures it out!
Don't screw up a good deal.
Well, that was my next move but I wanted to make certain that he's getting a metal oil filter and not the Off-road paper one... you know how old geezers can forget things and all jazz

post #16 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Damhik, I've been busy chaning oil.

That's the price I got. Keep in mind, I've bought 3 bikes from the place, two helmets, two jackets, two pants, one pair of boots, two pair of gloves, and other misc. parts. I've also sent 4 of the guys who work with me to buy bikes, one who which has bought a second bike.

I buy about 10 filters per year. I don't think them losing 4-5 dollars per filter, which would come to $50, would be a big deal to them, especially considering that the parts manager played football with my oldest son.

What I was trying to point out is $15 for an OEM filter is too much, period, favors or not.

post #17 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

The part # is 15410-MFJ-D01. Which I got for the 9er and the Hurricane. The Superhawk is different I believe, but I don't feel like crawling under the bike to get the number.

post #18 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
The best deal in town! Go to Walmart and get the Super Tech ST6607. It's only like $2 and is one of the best rated filters you can get. Suppose to be much better than Fram and as good or better than most of the other name brands.
i can vouch for this one as well.

post #19 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

The ST6607 is the shorter (standard length) Walmart filter. If they don't have it, get the ST7317. It's about a half inch longer, fits fine, and is the filter for the CBR900RR, I believe.

I change my oil and filter at 3000 miles with Walmart's finest! I refuse to "drink the koolaid!"

post #20 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Damhik, I've been busy chaning oil.

That's the price I got. Keep in mind, I've bought 3 bikes from the place, two helmets, two jackets, two pants, one pair of boots, two pair of gloves, and other misc. parts. I've also sent 4 of the guys who work with me to buy bikes, one who which has bought a second bike.

I buy about 10 filters per year. I don't think them losing 4-5 dollars per filter, which would come to $50, would be a big deal to them, especially considering that the parts manager played football with my oldest son.

What I was trying to point out is $15 for an OEM filter is too much, period, favors or not.
Don't be getting all feisty on me now, as good as your butt may be for them employees and/or owner of that store, I seriously doubt that he is in the business of loosing money everytime he sells an item.

On the other side of the token, if I were to ask you to buy me a few cases of that oil filter, do you think he would give you the same price and can you bring'm with you to the shin-dig?

post #21 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
If you're dealer is charging you $15 for a filter he is ripping you off. Talk to them. I get mine for $4-5/apiece.
C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they walk you outback and tell ya ya can take all you want from the dumpster for $4 each?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #22 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I agree with XRCajun The Wall-Mart is good. I use the ST7317, It's a little longer. Interesting piece of reading.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

post #23 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Just a little note. I found this at the bottom of the page in the link below
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

What Not To Use: Bosch, STP, and Wal-Mart Supertech
While both the STP and the Bosch filters were at one point good filters, they are now manufactured off shore of sub-standard parts. The filter assemblies tended not to have even pleats and generally less media than other comparable filters. There was also a complete lack of a well functioning by-pass valve. With most filters there is an obvious and discrete by-pass valve, but with these filters the can spring and the by-pass valve are the same. The real issue is that in order for the filter to properly by-pass the entire filter assembly would have to move down during use. That is actually not possible with filter assembly properly seating into the anti-drain back valve. This means that the by-pass will effectively never work. In the center of the of picture below you see the filter assembly (top) and the can spring/by-pass valve (bottom). (The can spring / by-pass valve would flip over and into the filter assembly.)

post #24 of 27 Old 09-29-2007, 09:18 PM

I get the Honda filter (Toyo Roki, Pt#15410-MCJ-003) for 7.25 a piece, I think it's a fair deal.

post #25 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

RC, you can get all you want here for $6.99 each. $5 handling charge on less than $100 order. No shipping. They list the same part number.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/st...A&ID=970420062

post #26 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Unbannable

All I saw was Fram at Walmart. I'll look for that ST6607 next time I'm there.

I got bit by the cheap-o bug too. I bought 4L of Rotella-T full synthetic for $16!!!! It can't be that bad, everyone uses it.

post #27 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Most of the new Super-Walmarts have a seperate section near the auto section just for motorcycles. That's where you'll usually find the the filters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode