oil change - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Immune

oil change

This sounds like a dumb question but when changing the oil should you check the level when the bike is cold or after warming up the engine and oil. I know the bike takes 3.8 quatrts but when cold 4 quarts is a little below the top line on the site glass but when oil is warm it is over the top line. Now im not sure if its over filled or not since i get two different levels depending on the oil temp. just wondering weather to remove some oil or not. I have always checked oil level when cold but never checked it when it was warm so I don't know if this is normal. Any sugestions (leave as is or drain some out)? When oil cools down so does the level in the site glass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
CG

You really don't need to warm it up but you should run it for like 30 seconds or so just to make sure the oil filter and pump are filled and whatnot. Pull the bike upright off the side stand when you're checking it.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

A little under the line is OK, A little over the line is not OK. Sounds like you have it overfilled. It can cause excess crankcase pressure and hence is bad for seals among other things.

When its cold make sure its at or above the min line, when its hot it should be between min and max, but never over.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Immune

thanks for the replies. I figured it was overfilled but wanted other opinions. thanks. guess i will have to drain some out.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 AM

Plugs out pumping.

A little trick I do in my car and bike is when I have changed the oil and filter I disconnect the leads from the coil to the dizzy. This prevents the engine from actually firing while there is no oil flowing in the galleries. I consider this to be important, and a cheap / easy thing to do to prevent engine wear. I just do not like the idea of the big ends pounding up and down on bearing shells that have no oil pressure to them yet! At least when the engine is turning over, just on the starter, they are passively following, and not having several hundred firing charges hammering down on dry bearings. The only way it could get better is do it with no plugs in, then there would be a completely passive load on the main bearings while cranking the oil pressure up.

I may be anal, but its simple to do.

post #6 of 14 Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post
I may be anal, but its simple to do.
And completely unnecessary! But, it won't hurt anything, so, if it makes you happy....

post #7 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Immune

My real question (concern) was I have never had this happen to me before on my other bike or my truck. when I put the oil in it was the same level (or very close) wether it was hot, warm or cold. This time it was different levels when hot and cold. I just removed some oild and its fine. Thanks for answering my question.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I use an extended oil filter (purolator pure1 or mobil 1) instead of the shorter common motorcycle filters. I pour an entire gallon and it lands perfectly a little over halfway between the marks every time. I think it would be overfilled if I used the OE Honda filter. (1 Gallon is about 3.9ish quarts) No need for measuring and extended filter for even more piece of mind.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 PM
no max no more

level sounds fine to me.. almost 4 qt is not a problem I always checked my oil cold..3.8 is in the middle of the glass on my last change.

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
My real question (concern) was I have never had this happen to me before on my other bike or my truck. when I put the oil in it was the same level (or very close) wether it was hot, warm or cold. This time it was different levels when hot and cold. I just removed some oild and its fine. Thanks for answering my question.
With too much oil, you could get some foaming where the oils gets whipped in effect when the motor is running. This could raise the level you see in the sight glass. Unlikely it was actually the temperature that raised the level.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
With too much oil, you could get some foaming where the oils gets whipped in effect when the motor is running. This could raise the level you see in the sight glass. Unlikely it was actually the temperature that raised the level.
this sounds like the most logical explanation to me... the oil is over level and is gets whipped up adding lots of air to the oil and probably making it look a lighter *(almost milky) color*(tell me if i am right) and when you park the air bubbles dissipate and return the oil level to just slightly high...

since you drained some is it still doing the same thing??

post #12 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Immune

the oil level was just below the top line of the site glass (with 4 quarts). This was after starting to fill the oil filter. Then i warmed up the motor mostly because i have not ridden it for a few weeks. rechecked the oil level and I saw no foaming or air bubbles. The oil in the site glass looked the same as when cold but was now filled the whole site glass (actually above the site glass). I let it cool down and then i rechecked it and the level came down to the top line on the site glass. I did this 3 times and the results were the same then i posted on here. I removed about 4 oz of oil and the level dropped to 3/4 of site glass being full. warmed it up and looked at it again and it was in the same place or close to it (but not at the top line). This is where I left it. The level is fine now when hot, warm and cold. I have never seen this happen before (on bike, car or truck) and thought it was weird.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pacojerts spoiler is disturbing

post #14 of 14 Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
the oil level was just below the top line of the site glass (with 4 quarts). This was after starting to fill the oil filter. Then i warmed up the motor mostly because i have not ridden it for a few weeks. rechecked the oil level and I saw no foaming or air bubbles. The oil in the site glass looked the same as when cold but was now filled the whole site glass (actually above the site glass). I let it cool down and then i rechecked it and the level came down to the top line on the site glass. I did this 3 times and the results were the same then i posted on here. I removed about 4 oz of oil and the level dropped to 3/4 of site glass being full. warmed it up and looked at it again and it was in the same place or close to it (but not at the top line). This is where I left it. The level is fine now when hot, warm and cold. I have never seen this happen before (on bike, car or truck) and thought it was weird.
I think you just had some foaming. You would not necessarily see anything different in the sight glass aside from a higher level. Foaming is the reason overfilling the crankcase should be avoided. Frothy oil is not what you want circulating through your motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode