Ohlins remote shock adjust mount - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
What, me worry?

Ohlins remote shock adjust mount

This thread is in response to a question from mambomonster about mounting the remote adjuster. This is the mounting location recommended by Ohlins, but the connection going to the remote preload adjuster is flexible enough to allow mounting to other spots in that vicinity, should the passenger peg extensions be removed. As far as I know, the remote adjuster was the only variation offered for the HO 201.
It has been pointed out that, because the frame lacks the rigidity of a true racing bike, the benefit of a top-line shock may not be fully realized on the 919. All I know is that there are a lot of rough roads here in the Hill Country, and the bike feels dramatically more planted, stable in hard cornering, and is just more confidence inspiring since getting the Ohlins. Gone is the "buckboard bounce"--now the rear wheel simply stays planted, whatever the road offers. Maybe not the most cost-effective mod, but it sure improves the ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 Ohlin shock adjuster 1.jpg (100.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 919 Ohlin shock adjuster 2.jpg (87.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 919 Ohlin shock adjuster 3.jpg (72.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 919 Ohlin shock adjuster 4.jpg (85.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 919 Ohlin shock adjuster 5.jpg (76.3 KB, 40 views)

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.

--Robert A. Heinlein

GL1500CD Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Cornicen

I mounted mine similarly.

Ride quality is infinitely better! The bike is now safe to ride spiritedly through corners that aren't glass-smooth...I couldn't believe how bad it was the first time I hit a bump in a curve. I would not own this bike now if it weren't for the improvement that an aftermarket rear shock provided. I don't know if other shocks do as good a job as the Ohlins, but, it allowed me to happily keep my 919.

post #3 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Thank you sir.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Pilus Posterior

Man your bike needs a clean!

Bawahhahahha

Question - has anyone fitted the base Ohlins unit to their 919 - the one without the remote canister. I notice it is quite a bit cheaper than the fancy-pants one, and presumably a lot better than the stock shock.

post #5 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Bawahhahahha
I know, I know.... but I got my priorities straight:

RIDE! > Maintenance >>> ...(clean, wait--oh look! Shiney object!!!)

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.

--Robert A. Heinlein

GL1500CD Valkyrie
post #6 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Here's mine mounted.

It's CNC machined aluminum and kinda looks like a sewing machine foot. If you look at the profile of the foot peg casting, you'll see what I mean.

I had it painted @ work with aircraft paint, flat black.

The hose is lightly coiled and attached to the little shield behind the shock with a zip tie.

The bike might not be up to realizing the full potential of the Ohlins shock, but after riding on it for six years, it's one of those things you quit thinking about it works so well.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-04-2010, 04:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think I just routed mine up and under the seat.

I always think it's good to keep anything with an adjustment knob out of sight. People have a tendency to turn knobs for no good reason.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 AM
h8tenhogs

dont clean it. ride the wheels off of it. thats not a hardley davidson

post #9 of 21 Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 AM
McTavish

Quote:

Bawahhahahha

Question - has anyone fitted the base Ohlins unit to their 919 - the one without the remote canister. I notice it is quite a bit cheaper than the fancy-pants one, and presumably a lot better than the stock shock.
My understanding is that particular unit is a lot of money for what it is. I went with a Penske unit with remote reservoir. I bought it as a 2 way, but it was woefully inadequate in terms of low speed compression damping for which there is no adjustment. I had it converted to a 3 way, and now I'm happy. Buy a 3 way or don't buy, be it a Penske or Ohlins. Day Kyle has had super deals on Ohlins in the past, end of and off season being a good time.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:

Bawahhahahha

I have one of those units on my bike. Very happy with it, really change the way my bike handles. Pretty much only useful if you're riding one up. I put my factory shock on if i ride 2-up which is pretty much never. The reason I bought it was because I found it on closeout and even with the new spring it was half the price of the one with the pre-load adjustment.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #11 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I'm getting ready to install my shock and was wondering if those who have the Ohlins could snap a pic or two of how you had to cut away the underpan to fit the can with the adjuster. Thanks in advance.

post #12 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I think I just routed mine up and under the seat.

I always think it's good to keep anything with an adjustment knob out of sight. People have a tendency to turn knobs for no good reason.
Yep. Cant tell you how many times I come back to the bike at a parking lot to find the steering dampers been fiddled with and set to max.

post #13 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Cornicen

Has anyone else mounted the preload adjuster of the Ohlins under the seat? Anyone have a pic? Considering keeping it out of sight. (less things to break too if you go down.)

post #14 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
Has anyone else mounted the preload adjuster of the Ohlins under the seat? Anyone have a pic? Considering keeping it out of sight. (less things to break too if you go down.)
Affirmative. There's a metrosexual forum member that goes by the handle Ferris Bueller. Search for a thread regarding cleaning up his undertail (not a gay joke) and you should find a picture of his bike with the Ohlins adjuster tucked in there somewhere (no tranny tucking joke intended).

post #15 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
Affirmative. There's a metrosexual forum member that goes by the handle Ferris Bueller. Search for a thread regarding cleaning up his undertail (not a gay joke) and you should find a picture of his bike with the Ohlins adjuster tucked in there somewhere (no tranny tucking joke intended).
Ya, that works cause of his low-mount pipes. I still have the high mount dual pipes though. I'm running coerce rearsets that dont have passenger provisions. Looking for alternative mounting for the preload adjuster. Might just fab something up to bolt on to the heel guard of my rearsets.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 AM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
Hmmm... i see someone hasn't let old stuff go (i ended up getting anthony products). all this passive aggressive talk about sexuality coming from someone in the land of silk shirts (not a blouse), tans (not jersey shore), and choke artists (not a gay joke, a lebron joke) is quite entertaining.

as for the placement of my pre-load adjuster. while running the stock pipes i had placed the little mounting bracket in between the shifter side exhaust hanger and frame. worked great. you can do it too, i have faith.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Glad you're paying attention brother! I bow to anyone who can take a photo as cool as your 919 cm3 banner.

post #18 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
MSF blacksheep

this thread has made me laugh! thanks mambo!

in my introduction thread shows how my adjuster was mounted when i had stock exhaust, even though i have the new exhaust mounted in the photos...

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...end-27013.html

post #19 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
Hmmm... i see someone hasn't let old stuff go (i ended up getting anthony products). all this passive aggressive talk about sexuality coming from someone in the land of silk shirts (not a blouse), tans (not jersey shore), and choke artists (not a gay joke, a lebron joke) is quite entertaining.

as for the placement of my pre-load adjuster. while running the stock pipes i had placed the little mounting bracket in between the shifter side exhaust hanger and frame. worked great. you can do it too, i have faith.
I was a bit concerned of the heat coming off the pipes in that position. But if you've done it with no problems, hey, I'll look into it.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Chief 10 Beers

I just routed the adjuster under the seat, cut off the top of a sock and and sliped it over it to protect/cushion it, held it on with a tie wrap and it just sits in a cozy spot in there...no "mount" and no problems.

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #21 of 21 Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrady View Post
I just routed the adjuster under the seat, cut off the top of a sock and and sliped it over it to protect/cushion it, held it on with a tie wrap and it just sits in a cozy spot in there...no "mount" and no problems.
Thats Plan B, right there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode