Official Buell statement - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Exclamation Official Buell statement

Official Statement from Buell Motorcycles:
EAST TROY, Wis. — (Thursday, October 15, 2009) Buell Motorcycle Company officials thanked the company’s customers, employees and dealers for an unforgettable ride, following today’s announcement by Harley-Davidson, Inc. that it will discontinue the Buell® product line as part of Harley-Davidson’s go-forward business strategy. The new long-term strategy aims to drive Company growth through a focus of efforts and resources on the Harley-Davidson® brand.

“I want to personally thank all our past and present Buell employees, dealers and suppliers for their efforts. I also want to thank Buell motorcycle owners for their support and passion for the brand,” said Buell Motorcycle Company President Jon Flickinger.

Flickinger said a limited number of new Buell motorcycles remain available for sale through authorized dealerships and production will wind down by October 30. He also stressed that Harley-Davidson will provide replacement parts and service through dealerships and that warranty coverage will continue as normal for Buell motorcycles.
“I will always be proud of what we have accomplished. It is a testimony to what a small group of passionate and inspired people can do, and with brilliant innovations, we’ve produced some of the best-handling bikes of all time,” said Buell Chairman and Chief Technical Officer Erik Buell. “I personally look forward to exploring how I can continue to work with Harley-Davidson to bring advanced product technology to riders.

“I have also had the great fortune to meet and get to know many Buell riders over the years, and they are an amazing and interesting group of free thinkers,” Buell said. “May you ride with pride into the future. And may your roads ahead be as adventuresome and rewarding as mine have been for the last 26 years.”

A wholly owned subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, Inc. since 1998, Buell Motorcycle Company was founded in 1983 by Erik Buell and produced more than 135,000 motorcycles. Over the past 26 years, Buell motorcycles won numerous design accolades and awards, and countless races and championships around the world, including the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike championship in 2009.

Erik Buell Confirms Buell Going Out of Business

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

RIP Buell, even if you don't like the bikes you have to give kudos to Erik Buell for following his dream and actually producing his own bike line.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #4 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Livin the dream

I'm wondering how good that "service" at the HD dealerships is going to be. I mean, who are you going to complain to when the service sucks?

I frequent the V Rod forums, about the only Harley I would own, and they don't get any service or respect either... and it's a Harley.

I tried to buy a Buell before I bought my 919 and no one in the dealership would even acknowledge my presence, even thought I was the ONLY customer in the store.

I like the looks of the Buell bikes but never got to ride one. Maybe someday.

Doug

post #5 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
Buell Motorcycle Company was founded in 1983 by Erik Buell and produced more than 135,000 motorcycles, and according to statistics 134,994 broke down at least once every 4 times ridden with the remainder only breaking down every 8th time. Over the past 26 years, Buell motorcycles won numerous design accolades and awards, and countless races and championships around the world, including the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike championship in 2009, And receiving the Oil Dry companies neverending gratitude for the increase in sales, And the National Motorcycle Tow Trucks Association medal of thanks.
*(parts of this are artist *(me) embellished to make a more interesting story)...

post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've done several demo rides at Bloomington HD. Riding a Buell was always interesting. They are really cool bikes wrapped around the wrong engine. The engine wouldn't have even been so bad if the powerband wasn't so narow. The real deal breaker for me was the tranny. Absolutely horrible.

But even at that, Eric managed to produce 135,000 bikes. Imagine what he could have done if he had used the RC51 engine. I'll bet we haven't heard the last of Buell.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Legalize it please?

:'-(
I hope he redesigns something cool and HD begs him to come back and he tells em to stick it. I always liked those bikes. Something different.

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

*holds up his lighter*

post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioguy View Post
I'm wondering how good that "service" at the HD dealerships is going to be. I mean, who are you going to complain to when the service sucks?
They all differ I suppose.

This might suprise you...

Whenever I needed new tires on my RC-51 I always took my wheels to a local Harley dealer. They were fast/friendly/cheap.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

the receptionist at Ocean County HD answers the phone "O.C. HD, where the bikes have the attitude, not our staff "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode