Official 919 Exhaust Stink thread - Wrist Twisters
 5Likes

post #1 of 87 Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Official 919 Exhaust Stink thread

A big round of applause for Kristen. She was responsible for putting this thread together.

This thread will be linked to the 919 Helpful Topics.

Ask any ten 919 owners about the smell of their exhaust and you will get ten different answers. They will range from: what smell? sometimes I smell it, and finally, this bike stinks!
Ask these same riders how the smell affects them and you will hear: doesn’t bother me a bit, my girlfriend won’t ride with me anymore, and in the extreme, this smell makes me want to sell my bike.

The plot thickens: There are numerous owners with stock 919's with or without fly screens who do not have the dreaded stink. So the saga continues. Please feel free to add your .

Please do not start any more 'stink' threads, use this one to add your input. The more information the better.

Note: 2006 and newer 9ers have a Catalytic Converter. They are easy to spot:
Black exhaust Y connector--no cat, stainless exhaust connector Y--cat.

Here are some suggested cures with links to corresponding threads:

1)Fuel variables-
Thread #1
Thread #2

2)Modification of existing exhaust-
Thread #1

3)Complete exhaust overhaul-
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

2007 red. bafflectomy. 87 octane. honda screen. no stink before no stink after. i stink but the bike doesn't unless while idling in the garage. otherwise, no stink.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #3 of 87 Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

it's the smell of <braveheart> FREEDOM !!! </bravehart>

post #4 of 87 Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM

2002 yoshi slip-ons, K&N filter.

I would qualify this stink as "damn my clothes stink bad"

after installing PC III and using fairly conservative Erion map I see small improvement to "my clothes still stink but I can live with it"

post #5 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 AM
hairball919

Replaced my Y-Pipe with the black one without the cat and BAM!, stink was gone! Simply amazing! And serious!

post #6 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i geuss i just drive to fast to get the "stink" on me. 07 with scorpion SO pipes, K&N air filter, flapper mod and pair block offs. no stink that i can tell

post #7 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Before I sold the 04 919.

Stock w/D&D cans - bad stink.
switched to Satos and added PC-III w/custom map - still stink and louder than w/D&Ds
(both with PMMA Honda wind screen)

loved the machine but fell for a near-new 954

stock 02 954: quiet - no stink - more power - better handling - best bike move I ever made

post #8 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
i geuss i just drive to fast to get the "stink" on me. 07 with scorpion SO pipes, K&N air filter, flapper mod and pair block offs. no stink that i can tell
You know...this got me thinking...

If the PAIR system is in place to burn the vapors from the top end of the engine off in the exhaust port/header/whatever, then maybe plugging this up is what is removing the stink.

Hmm...just a thought, but I'm no motorcycle expert or mechanic. I might just be pulling stuff out of my...........

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

'03 919. Stock, the stink was bad. With PCIII and newer generation Satos (longer outlet) the stink was greatly reduced but not eliminated.

post #10 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

My completly stock 06 has no stink

post #11 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

my g/f says it smells, i say i'm going riding and i can't tell... i can't tell, so i ride. i have had numerous slip ons, several maps i toodled with, and finally realized, if i don't care, why try to fix it? as said, the smell of "freedom!"

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #12 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

I have the 07, and when it was stock, the stink was bad enough that my woman's helmet had the smell in it. I went to 900rr header and removed the stink. Now I'm gonna try Satos with the original header and a PCIII. I hope the woman doesn't have the stink issue again, cause otherwise she's gonna get lonely on the couch.

post #13 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I have the 07, and when it was stock, the stink was bad enough that my woman's helmet had the smell in it. I went to 900rr header and removed the stink. Now I'm gonna try Satos with the original header and a PCIII. I hope the woman doesn't have the stink issue again, cause otherwise she's gonna get lonely on the couch.
+1 satos

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #14 of 87 Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 AM
I like yellow bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Replaced my Y-Pipe with the black one without the cat and BAM!, stink was gone! Simply amazing! And serious!
You see I found the exact opposite, see https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...9&postcount=18

In the days when I was actively chasing Honda about this there were two components to the stink problem: the stink itself and the fact that it was making some riders or pillions ill (carbon monoxide). So Honda's solution in fitting a cat where there hadn't been one before was probably partly to try to reduce the stink, but partly (and perhaps most important from a liability point of view) to reduce the amount of poisonous gas in the exhaust fumes.

Janet the jet
post #15 of 87 Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 AM
hairball919

How wierd, Janet. Wierd that I got the opposite effect. But yep, no more stink from mine after the new Y-Pipe, Yoshi's and PC3. But then like so many other issues we all seem to have and post about, it seems like so many of us get different results from the same issue. Strange how life works.

post #16 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Tirone

07 919 stock cans no stink... I could not understand what the fuss was about until i put the yoshi cans on now i know with no inserts it was bad, I cut inserts in half and installed the stink is not as bad, my thinking is the extra back pressure forced the exhaust gasses further back behind the bike that could be why the y pipe with no cat seamed better or am i just thinking wrong cause i know some complained even with stock cans

p.s sv 1k no stink at all.

post #17 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Tirone shoelaces

The '06 and '07 models have a CAT?! Balls

OK - I need to get rid of that crap. Anyone have the stock exhaust Y-connector w/out the cat they are not using?

post #18 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Who has to know?

Anyone notice a difference with a windscreen on the front? I wonder if that disrupts the airflow in a way that affects the exhaust gas' path.

Recently I was without my bike for about a year. I never thought the stink was a big deal, I would ride my bike before going out for the night, etc. Now, the stink leaves a horrible odor on my clothes, I don't even want to ride before going out with people.

The only two things I can think of are I forgot how bad the stink was back then, or the (Honda) flyscreen has made the difference. I never used the screen before, but put it on so I could ride on I-95. I want to remove it again, but when I tried last night, I realized I don't have the right tool to install the factory bolts after the screen comes off! Doh. I'll do it next week and see if there's any difference.

post #19 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLittleSecret View Post
Anyone notice a difference with a windscreen on the front? I wonder if that disrupts the airflow in a way that affects the exhaust gas' path.

Recently I was without my bike for about a year. I never thought the stink was a big deal, I would ride my bike before going out for the night, etc. Now, the stink leaves a horrible odor on my clothes, I don't even want to ride before going out with people.

The only two things I can think of are I forgot how bad the stink was back then, or the (Honda) flyscreen has made the difference. I never used the screen before, but put it on so I could ride on I-95. I want to remove it again, but when I tried last night, I realized I don't have the right tool to install the factory bolts after the screen comes off! Doh. I'll do it next week and see if there's any difference.
I ran with and without a windscreen and stock cans...had the stink both ways. It wasn't horrible for normal weekend rides, but I really noticed it on my jacket when I would ride to work.
Jucebox likes this.

post #20 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Ive had my 9er for nearly 2 years now.Its standard apart from a pair of cans.No stink recorded

post #21 of 87 Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Legalize it please?

07 919 with 3700 mi and i've never noticed a smell. what octane gas are you using... a buddy of mine had a 91 gti vw that use to ping and smell like farts unless he ran super in the dub.

post #22 of 87 Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM

new 08 model - stock standard - highest octane - no stink

post #23 of 87 Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post

OK - I need to get rid of that crap. Anyone have the stock exhaust Y-connector w/out the cat they are not using?
You're in luck! You can buy them right from Honda even now! Seriously! My buddy did it last month. I got a brand new OEM catless y-pipe from a guy in the forum still in the box from Honda for $75. I gave the part number to my buddy with an 06 919 and he ordered one online and sure enough he got the same one. They are BLACK! This is important to know. Apparently that's Honda's way of identifying them or something. The 06 and 07 y-pipes are silver and have a cat. So, all you need to do is order a y-pipe for ANY year of NON-California 919 before 06 and you'll be jammin' man! If it will help I can call my friend and see if you has the part number (I tossed my box).

And seriously, NO stink since PC3, catless Y, and Yoshi's.

post #24 of 87 Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post

You're in luck! You can buy them right from Honda even now! Seriously! My buddy did it last month. I got a brand new OEM catless y-pipe from a guy in the forum still in the box from Honda for $75. I gave the part number to my buddy with an 06 919 and he ordered one online and sure enough he got the same one. They are BLACK! This is important to know. Apparently that's Honda's way of identifying them or something. The 06 and 07 y-pipes are silver and have a cat. So, all you need to do is order a y-pipe for ANY year of NON-California 919 before 06 and you'll be jammin' man! If it will help I can call my friend and see if you has the part number (I tossed my box). My buddy looked up the part number before he ordered and found out that the only difference was that the last 2 digits (03 vs 30 or whatever the two were) were reversed! Sneaky Honday folks!

And seriously, NO stink since PC3, catless Y, and Yoshi's.

post #25 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Tirone

Australian 2007 stock standard 919. No smell running 91 or 98 RON petrol.
Is this unique to USA ?
There doesnt appear to be any threads in UK sites re this smell.
Do any Australian owners have an exhaust smell ?
Phil

post #26 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i had a steak for supper last night and my exhaust smells.

post #27 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
Australian 2007 stock standard 919. No smell running 91 or 98 RON petrol.
Is this unique to USA ?
There doesnt appear to be any threads in UK sites re this smell.
Do any Australian owners have an exhaust smell ?
Phil
The "stink" problem goes waaay back to the early days of the Hornet in the UK. Janet the Jet worked with Honda trying to solve the problem.

post #28 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 AM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i had a steak for supper last night and my exhaust smells.
Well, I had fish and eggs, yet my exhaust smell like roses!

Actually, from now on my nightly dinner menu is going to consist of nothing but PHISH and DISCO BISCUITS!!! (Google those 2, and try not soil once you hear them!)

post #29 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Keep this up and the thread gets moved to Derailed Rollercoaster. j/k

post #30 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #31 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here's one for you. My '02 had bad stink when I got it. Now I have a PC3, windshield and de-baffled pipes. Still stinks. Not as bad but it is still there. My jacket always smells of exaust. My fiancees 02 basiclly stock, no exaust mod, no PC3, recently put on a windshield and seat cowl. She says it has never had the stink. I just smelt her jacket because I don't believe it. No smell at all. Maybe one day when she is out I will swap everything over. She would never know.

Spoiler:

post #32 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Here's one for you. My '02 had bad stink when I got it. Now I have a PC3, windshield and de-baffled pipes. Still stinks. Not as bad but it is still there. My jacket always smells of exaust. My fiancees 02 basiclly stock, no exaust mod, no PC3, recently put on a windshield and seat cowl. She says it has never had the stink. I just smelt her jacket because I don't believe it. No smell at all. Maybe one day when she is out I will swap everything over. She would never know.
Maybe she bathes and washes her clothes more than you???

zinnnnnnnggg wakka wakka I crack me up

post #33 of 87 Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
Maybe she bathes and washes her clothes more than you???

zinnnnnnnggg wakka wakka I crack me up
I have washed my jacket many times. Bathes? What is that? I know I am sometimes gassy, maybe it is me. Ya you crack me up too. You are quite a card Barton!

Spoiler:

post #34 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Australian fuel just doesn't stink.

I've had my 900 Hornet long enough to do 7000km on it, and I have yet to experience any 'stink' out the Hornet exhaust!

So, the question is, what the hell do you Americans use for fuel, or what the hell is in your fuel?

I generally use 95 RON fuel or 98 RON when I can get it. If I am forced to use 91 RON my Hornet literally pings its head off, but it still doesn't stink.

Maybe its got something to do with the fact that recently in Australia premium unleaded 98 RON was up to $1:60 AUD a litre, or for you Americans that's $4.61 USD a gallon? Maybe we get what we pay for, and your 'gas' is watered down with something????

Or maybe all American Hornets have their mufflers packed with at the factory?

post #35 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post
I've had my 900 Hornet long enough to do 7000km on it, and I have yet to experience any 'stink' out the Hornet exhaust!

So, the question is, what the hell do you Americans use for fuel, or what the hell is in your fuel?

I generally use 95 RON fuel or 98 RON when I can get it. If I am forced to use 91 RON my Hornet literally pings its head off, but it still doesn't stink.

Maybe its got something to do with the fact that recently in Australia premium unleaded 98 RON was up to $1:60 AUD a litre, or for you Americans that's $4.61 USD a gallon? Maybe we get what we pay for, and your 'gas' is watered down with something????

We all stink from smoking crack and just blame it on the bike.

post #36 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
We all stink from smoking crack and just blame it on the bike.
Well I didn't smoke crack "today"

But put on quite a few miles and all I could smell was liquid fertilizer.Dam farmers,I guess they get a better crop when they throw liquid sh*t all over. I can tell you whatever you are smelling is not as bad as what the farmers are throwing on the fields.

post #37 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post

Do you have a catalytic converter on yours? If so...that would be why it doesn't stink. I don't have one and I run the cheapest name brand gas I can find. Normally it is Shell. I don't really have any complaints about the stink. My jacket smells a little like exhaust, but no worse than riding on the lawnmower all day.

post #38 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Do you have a catalytic converter on yours? If so...that would be why it doesn't stink. I don't have one and I run the cheapest name brand gas I can find. Normally it is Shell. I don't really have any complaints about the stink. My jacket smells a little like exhaust, but no worse than riding on the lawnmower all day.
Yeah, mine has a cat (all road vehicles in Aust must have), so that may be why no pong. Been toying with making a few 'cut and paste' mods to the stock exhaust, other than the Yoshi TRS carbons I just bought, just to see what happens.

Anyone please post some pics of the US stock Hornet exhaust system please, so I can compare?

post #39 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

If I remember correctly, the bulge in the Y-pipe is present on cat and non-cat 919s. The only difference is one is filled with platinum honeycomb (catalytic converter) and the other isn't.

post #40 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Who has to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLittleSecret View Post

Alright, well I finally removed my Honda screen this past weekend. I rode to Publix and back, never going over 45mph. It seems at these low speeds that the exhaust gases are able to ruin clothes, as it had done on short trips like this one many times with the flyscreen in place.

Without the screen, the stink seems to be greatly reduced. That's the only riding I've done since removing the screen, but I think that was creating a pretty big problem on my bike. I bought the bike used, but I believe it to be stock, and I run 87 octane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode