Offer to trade w/ my 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Offer to trade w/ my 919

So i am looking for a 1000rr or a 954 and i was originally interested in a blue and yellow 1000rr. i posted a thread in the 1000class secton but theres only so many ppl who look there lol. anyway a guy wants me to trade me for his mint 03' 954 with 7k miles on it for my 02' 919 (near mint) with 2000 dollars. he was asking 5800 so thats like getting 3800 for mine and then i would have to pay the difference which is 2000. but the catch is he wants to keep his michlen pp2's that he has on it or he offered that i give him 300 more and i could keep em. i was like you can keep em for 300. I told him i would buy tires for my 919 b/c their shot, but if he wants to keep his pp2's ill just tell him i need to buy tires for the 954 so ill just give it to him with the bad tires on it. What is your guys opinion on this? is it a good deal? Should i go for it. Do the 954's have any problems i should know about? any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Sike

Have you checked cycletrader? If not, do a nationwide search to get some parameters on what your bike is listing for as an asking price and what his bike is listing for as an asking price. Then, if the numbers look reasonable, you need to see his bike (if that is impossible, asked for pictures from every angle and copies of service records). If it still looks good, I would consider the tire issue silly, but I would be willing to negotiate that number down a bit (unless he just put them on, as in less than 100 miles). The only 954 I personally know about is a guy I see at trackdays with one. He has beaten on it for a few years and it has never broken.

Good Luck, Steve

post #3 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

The $5800 is high. There is no way I would give him $2k, my 919 and $300 extra for tires. IMO: a fair deal would be no more than $1200 - $1400 plus your 919. The tires must also be included.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I wasnt going to give him 300 4 the tires anyway. So i should only offer like 1200-1400? How much do you think my bike is worth with almost 12k miles and a tbr pipe with all stock stuff too? its i nice shape but it is an 02? Ill hold off on the trade until i figure the prices out. thanks

post #5 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Kellys BB or NADA look through rose colored glasses. It is best to find prices in your part of the country. This however might not be possible. Since I'm not too far away (CT) a clean 02' 919 with 12k miles would sell for around $4200. This time of year when winter is coming the retail prices tend to drop.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster4344 View Post
I wasnt going to give him 300 4 the tires anyway. So i should only offer like 1200-1400? How much do you think my bike is worth with almost 12k miles and a tbr pipe with all stock stuff too? its i nice shape but it is an 02? Ill hold off on the trade until i figure the prices out. thanks
On Cycletrader, there were two 919's that were similar at $4500 and $6000. The 954's ranged from $3400 to $7200. I think Mike is right, looking at the numbers, that $1200-1400 is a reasonable offer. Maybe tell him $1000 with the tires and ask him to check the numbers and get back to you????

Good Luck, Steve

post #7 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Optio

Before you even get to carried away, I'd take a look at what insurance is going to cost if your planning on having full coverage.

Depending on various circumstances you could easily be looking at 1200-1800 a year vs less than a couple hundred for your 919 (not sure what your paying)?

post #8 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I know i looked into that. The insurance would go under my fathers name. I was looking at an 06 cbr1000rr that i might end up getting instead but anyway for full coverage through progressive with 1000 dollar deductables it was only 195 for the year on that 1000rr and for 100 dollar deducatbles it was 345 a year. keep in mind hes 55 yrs old with not a single ticket. I could only imagine this 954 would be cheaper.

post #9 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Sike

Quote:
I know i looked into that. The insurance would go under my fathers name. I was looking at an 06 cbr1000rr that i might end up getting instead but anyway for full coverage through progressive with 1000 dollar deductables it was only 195 for the year on that 1000rr and for 100 dollar deducatbles it was 345 a year. keep in mind hes 55 yrs old with not a single ticket. I could only imagine this 954 would be cheaper.
You might want to be careful with that idea. My wife works for a major insurance company and all of the insurance companies put an emphasis on investigating fraud. Will the bike be in his name? Will he actually ride it? Some policies don't cover other riders (you in this case), especially riders below the age of 25. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but instead providing some information.

Good Luck, Steve

post #10 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

well im not gettin the 954 i said no after you guys said that it was kinda high and he didnt wanna go lower so i think im gonna get that 1000rr instead anyway... my policy will cover other drivers under 25 but i think i will put me on there as a second driver just incase im not sure. But my dad might drive it once or twice just to see how it is. and the bike will be in his name. i might just go in my name if not really expensive and not get coll and comp. that kinida stuff helps but im a body man
But thanks for the heads up steve I see your new to here. Well welcome and thanks for the advise!!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

well guys havnt been on here i over a month b/c ive been swamped in skool with finals nd other stuff. But just for an update. I sold the 919 for 4200 to a guy in P.A. and i told him aobut the site idk if hes a member of even if he checked it out but anyway, i did not get a cbr1000rr like i wanted. I ended up going over to a zx10r 05'. I knoww i traveled away from honda but i thought that this bike was a good deal. Its mint with 8.8k and it came w/ micron pipe, stands, levers, spools, sliders, intergrated in the rear, and other stuff but i cant remember noww. I am now subcribed to a zx10r form and i see my buddy "sike" on there too! now i gotta wait till spring to ride it. And oh boy just sitting on this bike makes me miss the comfort of the 919. I hope i made the right choice.

post #12 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Congrats faster. ZX10R is a very nice bike. I hope it suits you. Let us know how you like it once you get some seat time.

post #13 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Sike

Quote:
well guys havnt been on here i over a month b/c ive been swamped in skool with finals nd other stuff. But just for an update. I sold the 919 for 4200 to a guy in P.A. and i told him aobut the site idk if hes a member of even if he checked it out but anyway, i did not get a cbr1000rr like i wanted. I ended up going over to a zx10r 05'. I knoww i traveled away from honda but i thought that this bike was a good deal. Its mint with 8.8k and it came w/ micron pipe, stands, levers, spools, sliders, intergrated in the rear, and other stuff but i cant remember noww. I am now subcribed to a zx10r form and i see my buddy "sike" on there too! now i gotta wait till spring to ride it. And oh boy just sitting on this bike makes me miss the comfort of the 919. I hope i made the right choice.
Congrats!!!! My 10 is my favorite bike that I have ever owned (I do love the 919, too) The 04-05's are very exciting and famous for their power delivery. If the comfort is really important to you, you can put superbike bars on it (I did due to a fused neck). SpieglerUSA sells a complete and great kit!!!

Enjoy, and I'll see you over on the 10 site. Be a little careful with the advice over there. Most of the folks are great, but their troll ratio is higher.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Twisted Wrister

Congrats on the bike. Be safe and stay in skool.

post #15 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There is NO relaxing on a ZX10. The riding position isn't comfy for long, and that thing wants to kill you as soon as you get the least bit careless.

post #16 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The riding position isn't comfy for long, and that thing wants to kill you as soon as you get the least bit careless.
sounds like my ex-wife

post #17 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
sounds like my ex-wife

omg there was a post on another forum i was reading and we were talking about the new 09 R1 and a guy said that he thought it was extremely ungly and it looked like a terd or something and then he goes "but im the one married to a yedi"!
ahahahaha i havnt laughted so hard in my life and this reminded me of it.
I know the bikes gonna be uncomftorable and all but hopefully ill be ok because i have youth on my side. Ill let u guys know how the bike turns out. Its raining here in upstate ny tday and i can finally get down my driveway with the bike if the sun comes out and the roads stay clear. It will be cold but i dont think i can wait till spring!!!
JimBO~

post #18 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
There is NO relaxing on a ZX10. The riding position isn't comfy for long, and that thing wants to kill you as soon as you get the least bit careless.
That is mostly just rumors started about the 04-05's (they might be the most extreme bike ever sold to the general public). Under 7,000 rpm they aren't so bad, putting out about 100hp. Above that, things can get exciting. I have about 8,000 miles on my 07 in 1 1/2 years (and 5 trackdays), and it hasn't tried to kill me, yet. The 06-07 puts down more HP, but the delivery is not as extreme and the wheelbase better for power delivery.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Tesserarius

The 750 two stroke triple they made in the late 60's, with the hinge in the middle of the frame, was the "widowmaker"!

post #20 of 20 Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Weel i finally got some time on my new bike! Yesterday it was about 19-22 degrees. OMG was it cold! but anyway. I had to sneak down my dirveway because there were still patches of ice still present in my 1/4 mile long driveway mostly downhill. I hit the road with a long sleeve shirt, a heavy sweatshirt, my leather armored motorcyclejacket, and my dads extra large carhartt jacket. I had thick thick gloves on and i was off. The bike is definately as comftorable but it feels light and nimble. The ride isnt as good either but what are ya gonna do, i mean it is a super sport and not a naked, the power is awsome and the bike definately needs a damper in the front because if you dont know what you are doing the front end could easily go into a tank slapper. The throttle takes a lot of twisting and i think im going to put a 1/5 twist to make the throttle only twist 1/5 to WOT instead of the 1/4 turn that it is now. I can already feel the bike just wants to take turns at insaine speeds and i cant wait till it warms up. I read reviews and a lot of people claiming the bikes speed will read 104 in first and i really didnt believe it but now i do. THe bike has a long first gear and yet enough power to loop it over with a little twist of the throttle. The bike has that stupid tach with the black pedals going around numbers instead of a simple needle and i hate that but so far i like the bike a lot! But i can already tell i want to strip it and put some different bars on it. but well see. Idk if i want to do that untill i get a cbr1k my real dream bike. well ill post some pics soon i just dont have time with finals week in college. But they will soon be over and im going to fl. in Jan. and im going on a few bike rides w/ the uncle so ill get a bunch of pics from that too!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode