Off the subject front rotors - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Off the subject front rotors

A friend of mine rides a 1996 Suzuki GSXR-750. We just removed his front wheel to look for front brake problems. we noticed a good amount of uneven pad wear. he said the brakes are not at the top of thier game. we then checked the rotor thickness which looked to be in spec but the rotor moved a great deal both radially and laterally at the rivets. much more so than the rotors of my 9'er. Is this a problem that needs replacing or just common wear? will replacing the pads with new even pads solve the poor braking performance? My friend is pretty limited for financial resources and would like to find the most inexspensive fix. Any knowledge or references will be of huge value. Thanks everybody.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

When it comes to brakes, "inexpensive" is not what you want to persue. How expensive can it get if (when) your front brakes fail?
The excessive play you mention is of the biggest concern. Be sure to have them looked at by someone familiar with what's what and don't skimp here!

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I wish he could afford to do it all right. It just is not in his buget at the time. Would good condition used rotors be an alternitive to new?

post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Sure. If you locate a good set of rotors, you should be good to go (or stop!)
Offhand, I'd say there should be some good examples on e-bay resulting from an upgrade to wavy rotors.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Two things you don't do -- argue with a woman and trust marginal brake components. You haven't lived until you have had a front brake rotor separate from its carrier and lock up the front wheel at 160 (or even 30!) After all, what's more expensive -- two rotors or a funeral? I have bought used rotors on ebay before and always inspected them carefully before putting them into service, its usually pretty obvious if they're damaged / bent. Good luck.
Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks for the help and the advice. I talked him into trying to find a set on ebay and it seems that a large amount of the gsxr family shared the same rotors for a number of years making them quite readily available. I also ordered him some new pads to try and get his stopping issues taken care of.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
A friend of mine rides a 1996 Suzuki GSXR-750. We just removed his front wheel to look for front brake problems. we noticed a good amount of uneven pad wear. he said the brakes are not at the top of thier game. we then checked the rotor thickness which looked to be in spec but the rotor moved a great deal both radially and laterally at the rivets. much more so than the rotors of my 9'er. Is this a problem that needs replacing or just common wear? will replacing the pads with new even pads solve the poor braking performance? My friend is pretty limited for financial resources and would like to find the most inexspensive fix. Any knowledge or references will be of huge value. Thanks everybody.
As for Radial & lateral movement. That's O.K. That's what Full floating rotors do. Well,... Good ones anyway. If they don't move they can't "float" & work the way they are intended to work.
The rivets are not there to hold the rotor firmly, But to hold the rotor loosely.
My Galfer Wave rotors, If pulled Laterally, Will pull off the rotor hub with minimal force. Radial movement also, About .010" ish.
All normal.
As for pad wear, Look into the calipers,puck alighnment/sticking,ect.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

XRMikey The radial wear seams much closer to .150 than .010. I understand the principle of how the floating rotor works and cannot say that i have ever seen other rotors that moved as freely as these. I am concerned that these rotors could possibly fail in an emergency situation.
As far as the pads and calipers go I am some what confused by how erratically they are worn. I know the inside pads will wear different than the outside, but it appears to me that no pad in both calipers was worn simular to it opposite. i.e. inside left to inside right. Is there possibility that someone might have replaced 1 set of pads causing irregular pressures in the calipers?

post #9 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Possibly, or the pads were removed & replaced in different positions, Resulting in a mismatched wear pattern. As for the Rotor. It's toast. It's just flopping around there. Rotors as worn as the ones you’re referring to can have different heat & stress issues that can wear pads at odd rates.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks man. I thaught it best just to try it with all newer components.. If there is still a problem??? I will keep you posted as i get the parts.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Make sure to look over everything. Neglected brakes like those might bring up some unseen gremlins.
Change the caliper & rotor mounting bolts with New ones too. Don't reuse the hardware you take off.
They have a service limit, when met, they stretch & break. Good luck! Should be an easy fix for 'ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode