Odometer - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Odometer

Knowing that the speedo overestimates by 11.1%, is it safe to assume that the odometer overestimates by the same amount?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

No. I guess we're talking 919 here. My speedo is 7 MPH high and the odo is dead on per two GPS.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
No. I guess we're talking 919 here. My speedo is 7 MPH high and the odo is dead on per two GPS.
Good to know! I was under the impressio that if the speedo is off, they're both off. I believe there was a discussion a couple years ago with concerns regarding resale value and possibly inaccurate mileage.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned its a 919. I've done several GPS runs that show subtracting 10% from indicated = actual on my bike. Trying to figure out if the miles I have shown are actually what I've done, or if I have to subtract 10% too. Kind of weird that one is accurate and not the other. Anyone know where each indicator takes its reading?

post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Jim are you sure about that? I was trying to figure out how I could have possibly put that kind of mileage on my 02 last year. With the amount of riding that I did ( about 90 miles on Sundays mostly), I chalked it up to the spedo being off. Now that I put a 17 on the front, and the spedo is correct, you're saying it dosen't matter. WTF?

post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

When I put on my Speedo Healer. My MPG dropped about 10 miles.
I was going about 160 miles to the tank(4 gals). Now it's 120 miles.
Odometer Indicated.
And it's been that way consistently.

My speed is spot on, though.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

All I know is all I know.

I've got four Honda streetbikes and every one of them is off on the speedo. But I've checked two of them, the Superhawk and the 919 for odo accuracy and they were both on. I did the test on a five mile flat straight stretch of interstate so I could check the GPS and bike with the mile markers. I can see where running through a road with corners, or especially hilly areas, would throw the reading off.

I seem to recall some internet stories of someone trying to get their warranty extended because the odo was racking up miles too fast, and the outcome being it was accurate, but have never seen anything official.

Funny thing is, both GPS are dead accurate for speed on my Z-71, Fusion and Sportrac. With the engineering capabilities that Honda has it's strange they seem to purposely offset the speedo. My 88 Hurricane is off, as well as the F3, Superhawk, and 919. All of them read on the high side.

Tire wear can play an important role in the readings also.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

According to mileage markers I chanced upon my odometer is within .5%, but in a pace test by a friendly CHP, my speedo reads 6% high. My previous Honda, an '88 NT650 Hawk, had a speedo error of 11%, but the odometer read 200.05 (halfway between .0 and .1) at the exact instant I was passing a 200 mile marker in Oregon -- that's .025% error. I'm assuming Honda wants you to feel good about going 100 mph without actually having to go 100 to do it.

Also, for those of you with speedohealers your actual gas mileage is whatever percentage the device is set higher than your calculations from the trip meter.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Jim are you sure about that? I was trying to figure out how I could have possibly put that kind of mileage on my 02 last year. With the amount of riding that I did ( about 90 miles on Sundays mostly), I chalked it up to the spedo being off. Now that I put a 17 on the front, and the spedo is correct, you're saying it dosen't matter. WTF?
Well if the ODo was correct(at16/43) and now you have a 17 front it should record less miles than you have traveled.While giving you a closer to true MPH reading.Sounds all good to me.

As for resale mine turned 64,000 last week.
I don't think its gonna matter much!

post #10 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I also believe the odo to be off. I have checked mine with a 16 tooth sprocket, off by about the same as the speedo. 15 tooth, even worse. Now when my gal and I go out on the bikes we get different numbers on our trip meters. Hers has a 17 tooth sprocket mine the 16. I have checked her odo and it is spot on. One tank of fuel and I seem to go about 20 miles more. Yes before you ask, she rides a 919.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

is it that bigga deal?
if honda had wanted us to tell how fast we are going, they would have done it right the first time, dont ya think?
i gotta sillier question, how does changing your sprockets change the way your odo reads?
the wheels are spinning the same amount, ditto for rpms, so whats the deal?

Bill

post #12 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Tirone

Changing the sprocket is essentially changing your gear ratio (final drive ratio?)....

Kind of like the differential on a car is geared. You have the transmission gears, but you also have the ring gear in the differential to multiply the torque....

The top gear on your bike doesn't change, but if you put a bigger drive pulley to a smaller driven pulley, you're changing the end speed of the driven pulley...

For example, driven pulley speeds can be measured by:

(Speed of drive pulley * drive pulley diameter) / diameter of driven pulley.... I assume this works the same with gears/sprockets and the number of teeth.

Your RPM's are measured at the engine. The speedometer most likely driven at the transmission (I don't own a bike, just a lurker) like on all cars.

Someone please correct me if my info is wrong.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

.02 worth

The newer bikes are run off the gear box, and it could be something simple like the speedo face is marked wrong. But, I don't really care, cause, to me it's like bass fishing. If I catch a few small ones I have just as much fun as one biggun, if I don't catch none, I still had a good time in the outdoors. I can't tell the differance between 69-73, 100-105, or 42-47.

[
post #14 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
is it that bigga deal?
if honda had wanted us to tell how fast we are going, they would have done it right the first time, dont ya think?
i gotta sillier question, how does changing your sprockets change the way your odo reads?
the wheels are spinning the same amount, ditto for rpms, so whats the deal?

Bill
Odo is driven from the tranny, not the wheels. If you go with a lower gear ratio the rear wheel won't cover as much ground at the same engine RPM, or tranny output speed.

My Hurricane odo is driven off front wheel revolutions. In that case, a gearing change won't effect it. Not true with a bike reading the output shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode