Now a proud owner of an 06 919, a few more questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Now a proud owner of an 06 919, a few more questions

Just picked up a 06 919 with 7000 miles for 4300. I noticed a few things that I have questions about.

1. What tha heck is up with the chain? Right now it seems way too loose. It seems to be resting on the swing arm? It drives fine and the owner said he thought it was loose as well and brought it in to the dealer but the dealer said it was adjusted correctly. I don't see how that could be right.

2. First gear sounds different than the other gears. I a little bit of a whine or something. I can notice it when I downshift from second, as I release the clutch, there is a noticeably different gear noise as I hear first coming in.

3. When I grab and wiggle some of the body panels, like the tail, it can wiggle. Normal or something loose?

4. Lastly, What is that general whining noise when the bike is running? Fuel injectors.

It runs and drives fantastic, I think I am in love. I am just curious if these things are normal. That "growl" at 3500rpm is just awesome.

Thanks,

Jackson Agar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
just send it.

Garage
Nice Bike. Welcome aboard. I'm in the SW suburbs. You should give me a shout if you want to go for a ride sometime.

I can't provide much 'helpful' feedback so I'm going to have to wait for someone else to chime in.

The chain problem is a little concerning, but nothing else sounds like its outside the norm.

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

1st gear Honda whine is absolutely normal. Don't worry about it. Consider it an indication that you now KNOW you are in 1st. I don't usually slip into first until right at a stop or very near to it, so the whine isn't as noticeably. It's louder in higher RPM's.

Plastics will always move a little bit; they aren't fastened down as tight as metal bits, nor should they be.

Ride it like you stole it, these bikes are very sturdy.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #4 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Tyrone Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfefe2 View Post
Just picked up a 06 919 with 7000 miles for 4300. I noticed a few things that I have questions about.

1. What tha heck is up with the chain? Right now it seems way too loose. It seems to be resting on the swing arm? It drives fine and the owner said he thought it was loose as well and brought it in to the dealer but the dealer said it was adjusted correctly. I don't see how that could be right.

2. First gear sounds different than the other gears. I a little bit of a whine or something. I can notice it when I downshift from second, as I release the clutch, there is a noticeably different gear noise as I hear first coming in.

3. When I grab and wiggle some of the body panels, like the tail, it can wiggle. Normal or something loose?

4. Lastly, What is that general whining noise when the bike is running? Fuel injectors.

It runs and drives fantastic, I think I am in love. I am just curious if these things are normal. That "growl" at 3500rpm is just awesome.

Thanks,

Jackson Agar
I just picked up an 06 a week ago with 9,700 miles.

1.) I thought my chain was very loose as well but I've had no real trouble from it.

2.) First gear is probably straight cut instead of a helical cut like 2-6. Straight cut=strength, helical cut=quiet

3.) Mine does it too. I checked all the bolts and screws and everything is fine. Honda probably did this tto prevent panels from cracking if anything nudged it.

4.) My thought would be the cam chain and valvetrain.

And, yes Love the growl as well.

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”-Ron Swanson
post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
no max no more

sit on the bike and feel the chain slack..it will tighten up

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #6 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
919>food>beer

as stated... all is fine and correct, the chain is better to be loose than tight and at rest it does lay on the swing arm

post #7 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Former 919er

Congrats! You should hook up with crakerjac and compare for your peace of mind. Have fun and post some pics!

post #8 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Le So Cal Troll

4 sounds like the fuel pump noise. (is it the same noise that you hear when you turn the bike on and flick the kill switch to run? if so yeah its fuel pump)

either way everything you describe is 100% normal... the 919 is VERY solid.... ride it like you stole it and you will never have any issues.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys! The noise is not the same sound as the fuel pump when I first turn it on. It is the same noise all 919s seem to have while running, kind-of like a turbo-ish whirring/whining noise. It is not an issue just curious what it is.

Also, Crakerjac, I would love to meet up sometime and ride. We will have to wait until I get used to the 919 a little more (I am coming from an '82 250cc with 15 HP and 100hp is quite a bit more power apparently (also, as I found out today, disc brakes are so much better than drum brakes)).

post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM
just send it.

Garage
Yeah. Just take it easy until you get used to the bike. When you feel more comfortable on the 9er, give me a shout.

[This space for rent]
post #11 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm WAY cooler in person.

Sounds normal to me!

post #12 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Tyrone Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfefe2 View Post
kind-of like a turbo-ish whirring/whining noise. It is not an issue just curious what it is.
I'm 99.999% sure it's normal DOHC noise. There's a lot of little doo-dads doing their thing under that cam cover.

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”-Ron Swanson
post #13 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Hastatus Prior

Congrats on the bike! All that sounds normal in my experience with the 9er, when my chain is adjusted to specs if will touch the swing arm (right at the rubber guard)

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode