Not happy with shift into 2nd from 1st lately - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Not happy with shift into 2nd from 1st lately

It seems like it won't drop from 1st into 2nd very regularly and the shift into 2nd is hard when it does go. Bike is like new, I'm gone all the time so I ride only 1 or 2 days a week and I have two bikes.

So my 07 919 has maybe 2,000 miles on it, and I don't like how its shifting. Just 1st to 2nd.

Is there anything I can check or do I just live with it? Am I going to hurt anything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Check free play in the cable ,and Just for kicks change the oil.

post #3 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Pilus Posterior

Ride it more - I found it took about 5,000 kms to free up the 919 box.

Also adjust the shift lever down a bit - try to lower it about 1 cm first from the stock position and see how this goes – this means when you tuck your foot under you get a complete clean upshift.

It is not the world nicest shifting box and it does not tolerate lazy footwork - however I found kms & moving the shift lever helped a lot, and (in my case) changing to Motul 5100 semi-synthetic oil made a huge improvement. But now I’ve started a oil thread!

post #4 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Gets censored

Personally I think it's a fantastic gear box I'm coming off gsxr's... it's butter smooth.

Bringing you're shifter down a notch is a great idea!

post #5 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya the only time i have problems with my 919 box is when im lazy and dont do a full upshift or downshift.... other than that never had a prob... and its much nicer to shift than other bikes i have ridden.

post #6 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Personally I think it's a fantastic gear box I'm coming off gsxr's... it's butter smooth.

Bringing you're shifter down a notch is a great idea!

Butter smooth...that's the first time I've heard the 919's gear box described like that.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Butter smooth...that's the first time I've heard the 919's gear box described like that.
like he said, try gsxr or sv

you could try to adjust your shifter up/down for your riding position/height etc. Make it so the shifts are nice and firm, without hesitation, almost slam into gears

post #8 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Gets censored

Coming of the bikes I'm used to it really is.... Honestly it's the best feeling shift I've personaly had. It's all sportbikes though, there was a vtx i had for a bit, but yeah the 9er shifts great in comparision to what I have to compare it to. (Got a lil Dr. Suess there)

post #9 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

+1
When I shift like a girl that happens LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
... it does not tolerate lazy footwork...

post #10 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
like he said, try gsxr or sv

you could try to adjust your shifter up/down for your riding position/height etc. Make it so the shifts are nice and firm, without hesitation, almost slam into gears
When doing so, especially if radical changes are made, be sure to make sure that imaginary lines through the centres of the pivot points and their respective heim bearings are parallel. If not, relocate the arm on the shift rod.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
When doing so, especially if radical changes are made, be sure to make sure that imaginary lines through the centres of the pivot points and their respective heim bearings are parallel. If not, relocate the arm on the shift rod.
good point

post #12 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

#1 question are you using the clutch to upshift or just using the clutchless upshift method?

Clutchless upshifting on the 900RR/919 tranny's is never a good thing as no matter how proficient you are at it you are still putting metal on metal until the shift dog slips into place. Having said that I still do clutchless upshifts on my current track only bikes, but even then I NEVER do clutchless upshifts from 1st to 2nd it's just too big of a risk for something to go wrong and trust me on the 900RR/919 tranny there have been A LOT of 2nd gears replaced over the years.......

post #13 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Tirone

I had the same problem - shifting from 1st to 2nd was very rough (much rougher than all other gear shifts) and always resulted in a CLUNK or CLANK or whatever.

At first, I spent some time adjusting the clutch tension, didn't help

Then I found if I up-shifted at the EXACT time I pulled in the clutch (not clutch then shift, but both as the same motion) it was much much smoother. I was thinking too much slack in the chain or something ?

Then I changed to full synthetic oil and that helped a little.

Then the strangest thing happened... I was adjusting my bike ergonomics for a long trip for some extra comfort and adjusted the shifting lever down a couple of notches to account for my long legs, and as soon as I did - smooth shifting - bizarre.

Now, either

1) the angle of the torque changed enough to change how the gears shifted (probably not, but who knows)

2) the synthetic oil only had about 100 miles on it before I adjusted the shifter and it took a bit to fully smooth out (I did a couple 400+ mile days before I fully realized my 1-2 shift was much smoother).

OR

3) the adjusted position of the shift lever was a more natural position for my foot and caused me to get a more "assertive" shift motion and made it so I am not shifting like an 8 year old girl anymore (most likely)

post #14 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 03:47 AM
h8tenhogs

same same shift like a girl... miss and end up in neutral.did that before. After i changed oil ,chain and sprockets it shifts much smoother.shift like you mean it.I have also stopped power shifting it doesnt seem worth it.to small of range to get it exactly right ..... pockets ..not that deep..

post #15 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
#1 question are you using the clutch to upshift or just using the clutchless upshift method?

Clutchless upshifting on the 900RR/919 tranny's is never a good thing as no matter how proficient you are at it you are still putting metal on metal until the shift dog slips into place. Having said that I still do clutchless upshifts on my current track only bikes, but even then I NEVER do clutchless upshifts from 1st to 2nd it's just too big of a risk for something to go wrong and trust me on the 900RR/919 tranny there have been A LOT of 2nd gears replaced over the years.......
LDH, I take it then that evenif you had a quick shifter setup, you'd only use it without the clutch on the upper changes and not the 1-2 ?
Your comments please.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
LDH, I take it then that evenif you had a quick shifter setup, you'd only use it without the clutch on the upper changes and not the 1-2 ?
Your comments please.
That is correct.

post #17 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
That is correct.
Your authoritative and respected advice is sincerely appreciated.

And I'm still blown away as to how you met your wife !
Excellent !!!!!

post #18 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Le So Cal Troll

ya like said.... the 1 2 shift is always gonna be kinda clunky as its a MUCH bigger step than the rest.... shifter position will help some... but in the end your not going to change the huge gap in gear ratios compared to the rest.

that being said.... like LDH, i almost always use the clutch to shift from 1st to second, then once im in 2nd, it depends on the situation if i use the clutch or not.... usually if im just cruzin round town ill forgo the clutch... but if im being hard on her in the twisties, i like to use the clutch to keep things smooth.

post #19 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
ya like said.... the 1 2 shift is always gonna be kinda clunky as its a MUCH bigger step than the rest.... shifter position will help some... but in the end your not going to change the huge gap in gear ratios compared to the rest.

that being said.... like LDH, i almost always use the clutch to shift from 1st to second, then once im in 2nd, it depends on the situation if i use the clutch or not.... usually if im just cruzin round town ill forgo the clutch... but if im being hard on her in the twisties, i like to use the clutch to keep things smooth.
What LDH said made sense to me, especially thinking in terms of drive train shock loads from the wheel bushings all the way back to the transmission meshes. A bit of softening on the 1-2 sounds reasonable, especially if all parts come from your wallet and you're not riding to earn a living. The prospect of the last shred of a zillionith of a second gain isn't worth it.

post #20 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

I have found the '03(48K) & '06(18K) to be smooth as silk from day one after proper break in and the first oil change. Perhaps a clutch adjustment, oil change, shifter alignment is in order.

Good advice on the timing of the shift and clutch pull.

I have been using Golden Spectro 10W40 in all my bikes since 1986.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode