Noob has a question on reducing speed. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Guys I just got a 919 and now that I'm getting use to the bike, needless to say I'm going as fast as I can go when I can.So what I wonder is what's the best/safest way to decrease speeds when needed? I've read most braking should be done with the front and some on the rear. This is ok. I've also tried them alone from eachother and not even good at slow speeds. Right now I'm trying out the whole engine braking thing. The proper gear and a smooth disengage with the clutch feels best but is this neccassary? I like the feeling of coming right up to the vary last moment of needing to slow down, performing my action and then going about like its nobodys business lol. Advise please. I could just slow down to but.. and this is for street riding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

No offense but how long have you been riding?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Front brakes are primary, the end.

post #4 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Take the MFS before you kill yourself!

Ahem, not kidding. I've been riding for twenty years and I still learned tons in the basic 2 course I took last weekend with friends.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
The Cripple

Slow the fuck down, end of discussion. If you're riding on the street, you make sure you maintain proper distance from other vehicles, objects, etc. Don't wait until the last minute jump onto your brakes, and use both for better braking power. However, keep in mind that the front provides 70% and the rear provides 30% as you brake harder, more force should be applied to the front while less is applied to the rear. If you cannot apply that concept, then you're shouldn't even worry about engine braking at this point. Get the basics of braking first.

post #6 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1

No offense but how long have you been riding?
No offense taken..close to a month! Lol

post #7 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You should take the MSF class, if not run to your nearest bookstore and get Proficient Motorcycling and Sport Riding Techniques. Seriously, you'll have more fun

*edit, just added links to Amazon

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #8 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callinmeupward

No offense taken..close to a month! Lol
Don't nab the front brake fast on initializing your braking. Go smooth and steadily increase your pressure to load the front forks. You nab too fast and you'll eat it, especially in less than ideal conditions.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster
Slow the fuck down, end of discussion. If you're riding on the street, you make sure you maintain proper distance from other vehicles, objects, etc. Don't wait until the last minute jump onto your brakes, and use both for better braking power. However, keep in mind that the front provides 70% and the rear provides 30% as you brake harder, more force should be applied to the front while less is applied to the rear. If you cannot apply that concept, then you're shouldn't even worry about engine braking at this point. Get the basics of braking first.
Using the brakes is a peace of cake..but on my home from work I get a lot of smooth short black tops with little to no traffic.. its more applicable to come to the next blacktop turn and be gone then to lolligag about it. In town i watch every corner and keep speed down and maintain a "cusion of space".

post #10 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Quote:
You should take the MSF class, if not run to your nearest bookstore and get Proficient Motorcycling and Sport Riding Techniques. Seriously, you'll have more fun

*edit, just added links to Amazon

Thanks for the references.

post #11 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
The Cripple

Yes, take the MSF course. There's a lot more to street riding that you're likely not aware of.

While I understand your description of the situations regarding short blacktops, it raises some concern for me. For one, are you giving yourself enough time to assess the situation before you jump in? If not, you're going too fast. Are you giving yourself enough time to gauge traffic? If not, you're going too fast. Are you giving yourself enough time to assess any potential hazards where you plan to go and identify any immediate as well as potential threats? If not, you're going to fast. Just things for you to think about and they indeed are things you need to think about on a continuously, revolving basis.

post #12 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Ok pvster.yeah.. The time to evaluate things is very crucial..while I've been hitting these blacktops I've more counted on things not coming up.. traffic can be seen as far as I can see, roads are smooth,no sand patches...just fields of wheat and bugs. No gurantee these will stay this way though..thanks.

post #13 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Pro Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callinmeupward View Post
I could just slow down to but.. and this is for street riding.
15 years experience here.
Ugh. I hate hearing those words.

"I could slow down"

Take everyone's advice and be careful. 1st rule.
Speed is for tracks.

But we all know these bikes aren't made to be slow.
So there's where your experience will shine.
Get riding and used to using brakes in every situation.
Turns, short bursts, uphill, etc...
For me:
Front brakes are the main source of stopping power.
Rear brakes are hardly used unless it's a emergency stop.
Or if I just roll slow to a stop sign, or a slower pace.
Faster paces are ALL front brakes.

My advice is to make sure the roads are relatively clear to try any of the bikes capability out. Never do it inside cities, or crowded roads.
Traffic or not.

Lost two good friends because they were going too fast.

post #14 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Havok...
Very well understood. Will keep that in mind. In the city , I won't consider the way I've been going about it on the blacktops..

Using the breaks to roll have been very good for me. A lot of these lights up north are very accurate at judging thickness of traffic and if I slow down and go slow as possible they will change for me or the soonest oncoming traffic.

but no matter where I am, all replies have been to slow down and front break mainly. Pretty much well said.

post #15 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

That's not to say you shouldn't use rear brakes. You really ought to get use to squeezing both for stopping. You'll be better off when the time comes to evasively brake; someone who rarely uses the rear will more likely demand too much traction causing a lock-up.

Unless of course you've tricked out your 919 with ABS brakes

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #16 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Pro Electrician

I should've clarified a bit....
Looking back, I do use rear brakes somewhat.
But I don't really ride fast enough on streets to use the combo.

Either way, practice.

'03 cb900f (919)
'87 Magna v45
'78 xs650 (project)
post #17 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Quote:
That's not to say you shouldn't use rear brakes. You really ought to get use to squeezing both for stopping. You'll be better off when it times come to evasively brake; someone who rarely uses the rear will more likely demand too much traction causing a lock-up.
I do feel most comfortable with applying the front brake first and then using the rear break to meet my need. Basically the 70/30 idea.

post #18 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Havoc so I'm suppose to look back and use the rear break at the same time?? Lol jk :smartass here:

post #19 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I use my rear brakes all the fucking time no matter what anyone else says and I use them right.

I wear them out as much as the front. They are smaller swept area and they work harder so they wear out at an accelerated rate when used properly.

When I was 18, I used excess rear and the back end slid out. That was all it took and that was 38 years ago.

Nuff said.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #20 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Don't ask me! I ride like a maniac, whipping the hell out of my little 400 everywhere I go...

:buell:
post #21 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Tirone

maintain lower gears. 1,2,3. The moment you release the throttle, engine braking applies already.

post #22 of 81 Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Aquilifer

let us know where you live so we can stay away from that area until you get more experience too.... Go take the MSF course, get some riding appropriate gear, take in earnest what they teach and tell you at the MSF. If you want to ride fast take that shit to a track.....

post #23 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Rich

OK, a different type of advice. Yes, speed is fun, not just for the track, and I doubt you will listen to anything different. However, you are young, probably don't know half of what you think you do, and aren't aware of a lot of things that may kill you.

That being said, take it easy for a while and don't push yourself quite so much. Have some fun with the bike, and learn what bikes and traffic are all about. If you do that, you will learn a little more about riding, and who knows, you may actually survive a little longer ...

post #24 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I use my rear brakes all the fucking time no matter what anyone else says...
I'm with this guy here, and not only in age....

I use my rear brake every time I come to a stop. I like the way the chassis feels steadied at both ends, and only using the front unnerves me. I'm a lot happier with maybe a little lockup at the rear (which is easily rectified) than I would be with any kind of lockup at the front.

Having said that, keeping a heads-up approach to the traffic means an awful lot of speed adjustment can happen just via the throttle...but then I'm not screaming up to corners on the redline, and jamming' 'er in at the last second.

post #25 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Tyrone Shoelaces

Front brake then downshift.

Simple as that.

And honestly, if you're coming to an internet forum to ask how to use the brakes on a motorcycle, you probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle.

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”-Ron Swanson
post #26 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Tyrone Shoelaces

I don't use my rear brake unless I'm on an unstable surface (grass, gravel, etc.)

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”-Ron Swanson
post #27 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

I didn't ask how, I said I wanted some advice on the best way to reduce speed.

post #28 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Just ride it like you stole it! You'll pickup the rest along the way

:buell:
post #29 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Gunner

Quote:
I do feel most comfortable with applying the front brake first and then using the rear break to meet my need. Basically the 70/30 idea.
no.. youre misunderstanding the rule. it doesnt mean that YOU use 70/30.. it means that if you apply equal pressure to BOTH brakes at the same time, 70% of your stopping power will come from the front, and 30 from the rear. now, Im not saying that you should be applying equal pressure, but Im not saying youre not. this will sound kind of obvious, but,you should be applying as pressure as it takes to stop. if youre approaching a redlight, and your doing 30mph, a 1/4 mile away.. you can engine break most of the way, and come to a full stop with either front OR back.. or both if it makes you happy. now that same light, but youre being a moron doing 75mph, and youre an 1/8 mile away..well.. you better be handy with both brakes.. and dont lock up the rear!

post #30 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Just ride it like you stole it! You'll pickup the rest along the way
dude... seriously?

post #31 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ble-30332.html

watch this video, read the thread, smooth inputs, MSF (preferrably immediately)

post #32 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Also, the niner speedo reads optimistic by 5-10. plenty of threads on that here too!

post #33 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

Im starting to wonder if I put this question into a thread the wrong way. It looks like almost everyone Shit they're pants as they typed a reply. So let me put it this way. Because a machine is engineered to do some interesting things just how really is a 919 capable of performance when it comes to decreasing speed? I want to know as much as I can and as I ride I want to apply these things the best way possible. Lots of good answers tho aside from the ones who shit themselves.

post #34 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Go find a large empty space and find out for yourself.
The stock brakes are adequate.
Those who have spent $1200 on brake upgrades report positive results.

post #35 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 11:29 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok View Post
I should've clarified a bit....
Looking back, I do use rear brakes somewhat.
But I don't really ride fast enough on streets to use the combo.

Either way, practice.
exactly, practice practice and practice.

There in no better feeling when one brakes with his right hand, downshifts and slightly drags the rear brake while leaning his bike into the turn. Just enough to get the rear tire sliding. Than bang down gears as needed while controlling rear by slipping the clutch (to keep the rear tire from hopping)

Anyone can tell what I am trying to achieve here? post a pic if you do

post #36 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

post #37 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

basically. this pic would be more appropriate since it's Hornet forum

post #38 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Man and Machine

I had only thought of what may be possible through using the entire bike. Very interesting.

post #39 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
I had only thought of what may be possible through using the entire bike. Very interesting.
However, YOU have only been riding for a month. This means you don't know diddy squat and if you attempt such a thing, you will most likely end up killed. Does it sound like we're shitting our pants? Why? Because we're trying to stress to you that we want you to survive! It isn't a laughing matter or a joke. Being on a bike requires full awareness and intentional training. Instinctive responses in a car most likely will mean disaster on a bike.

To make matters worse for us, is you are adding other elements to the situation that is beyond your control such as other drivers, potential threats/hazards that have not been assessed and other things. The best thing you can do is take the MSF course. The next best thing you can do is find a big empty space and practice low speed maneuvers, practice emergency stops with front, rear, and both, practice evasive maneuvers, etc.

post #40 of 81 Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
However, YOU have only been riding for a month. This means you don't know diddy squat and if you attempt such a thing, you will most likely end up killed. Does it sound like we're shitting our pants? Why? Because we're trying to stress to you that we want you to survive! It isn't a laughing matter or a joke. Being on a bike requires full awareness and intentional training. Instinctive responses in a car most likely will mean disaster on a bike.

To make matters worse for us, is you are adding other elements to the situation that is beyond your control such as other drivers, potential threats/hazards that have not been assessed and other things. The best thing you can do is take the MSF course. The next best thing you can do is find a big empty space and practice low speed maneuvers, practice emergency stops with front, rear, and both, practice evasive maneuvers, etc.
+1! Do not try to power slide, it won't turn out well for you, I guarantee it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode