NON OEM WINDSHIELDS - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

NON OEM WINDSHIELDS

What do you have? How does it work? Mounting issues? It's getting cold in northern NJ (had to light a coal fire tonight), I need a windshield. Too many postings without much info (no offense), what works well for you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have the f-18, wife has the f-16. I like them both. They do direct the wind at your face however. Mounting is easy enough.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

other than a really big screen, I don't think any of them are great on the 919. It's design seems to, no matter what screen you have, direct wind at the head.

post #4 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

F18 here, and i like the looks, but its not the greatest for wind protection.

The huge shield is the plexifairing and motorcyclesuperstore.com has it. They accidentally sent me one instead of my F18, and that thing is huge.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Optio

You're always going to have wind on the helmet unless you get a cruiser-style giant screen, and who wants that on a 919? The issue is whether the wind blast on the helmet is "clean" air or buffeting. Most of the smaller screens aren't going to have buffeting issues on the helmet unless you're a really short guy. I have an F-18 also. Like the look, but not sure how much actual wind protection it provides. Think I'm going to pull it off when the weather turns warm in the spring and see whether it really does anything or not. Put it on almost as soon as I got the bike, so can't say for sure right now how much difference it actually made.

post #6 of 65 Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
You're always going to have wind on the helmet unless you get a cruiser-style giant screen, and who wants that on a 919? The issue is whether the wind blast on the helmet is "clean" air or buffeting. Most of the smaller screens aren't going to have buffeting issues on the helmet unless you're a really short guy. I have an F-18 also. Like the look, but not sure how much actual wind protection it provides. Think I'm going to pull it off when the weather turns warm in the spring and see whether it really does anything or not. Put it on almost as soon as I got the bike, so can't say for sure right now how much difference it actually made.
I rode my wifes bike a few times before it had the f-16 shield on. Makes a big difference!

Spoiler:

post #7 of 65 Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

This little guy makes a big difference. Doesn't turn your 919 into a Goldwing, but I wouldn't be without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliders 003.jpg (71.8 KB, 132 views)

post #8 of 65 Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Givi A305 (made for a 599 Hornet). Its taller than the OEM. Brings the wind up to about neck level (I'm about 6'2")

Wasn't a bolt on. Had to make some custom brackets out of Plexiglas.

post #9 of 65 Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Givi A305 (made for a 599 Hornet). Its taller than the OEM. Brings the wind up to about neck level (I'm about 6'2")

Wasn't a bolt on. Had to make some custom brackets out of Plexiglas.

The f-16 and f-18 mount the same way but I bought the mounting kit. Looks good Mike.

Spoiler:

post #10 of 65 Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 AM
no max no more

national cycles plexifairing 2 is a short full side shield you will be looking over it and it has a sporty look if you adjust it all the way back and down....pops on in less then a minute...once its adjusted..why fool around with something smaller...ride 100 mph all day long with no stress at all on the body..legs dont get tossed around eather

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #11 of 65 Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
This little guy makes a big difference. Doesn't turn your 919 into a Goldwing, but I wouldn't be without it.
I have this GIVI too.
It gets the wind off my chest.
Also keeps bugs off the instruments and the front of my jacket,except the arms. A bigger screen would be nice when it's cold, but would spoil the looks of the bike ( in my opinion )

post #12 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
2007 919 (Gotta love it)

Monster

I used the Ducati Monster's windshield. Makes a BIG difference. And it looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC 533.jpg (38.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg CC 534.jpg (104.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 0812091554.jpg (146.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 0812091554a.jpg (141.0 KB, 109 views)

post #13 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Last year I put the F-15 on my 919. It is a bit larger then the F16 and F18. Definately not suppossed to fit, but, after about 5 days of assemble, ride, and remove to make another small change. It worked great. I rode about 200 miles that days and was really happy with the protection and quiet. I went thru a curve over my head met an oncoming car, and went out thru a front yard. When I got up, my sheild was in 25 pieces. I'm now using an F18, with my 755 due in tomorrow.
You may think the sheild in not doing any good, but, use it a few times and then take it off and go ride,You'll see right quick a little cold air goes a long way.
I ride because I love to ride, if it doesn't look just right, that means nothing to me.

[
post #14 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have the F18 & the F16 Sport shield. I couldn't really tell much difference between the two. Both kept the wind off my chest and did not cause any helmet buffeting although I thought wind noise was more with the F16 and I found the F16 was caused me a lot of front end shaking if I took my hands off the bars.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #15 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Which Givi is that one? Not bad looking.

post #16 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Last year I put the F-15 on my 919. It is a bit larger then the F16 and F18. Definately not suppossed to fit, but, after about 5 days of assemble, ride, and remove to make another small change. It worked great. I rode about 200 miles that days and was really happy with the protection and quiet. I went thru a curve over my head met an oncoming car, and went out thru a front yard. When I got up, my sheild was in 25 pieces. I'm now using an F18, with my 755 due in tomorrow.
You may think the sheild in not doing any good, but, use it a few times and then take it off and go ride,You'll see right quick a little cold air goes a long way.
I ride because I love to ride, if it doesn't look just right, that means nothing to me.
Do you remember the fitting details of the F-15? This looks like it might be what I want. Thanks.

post #17 of 65 Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Pilus Posterior

I like mine NAKED

post #18 of 65 Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Do you remember

Do you remember the fitting details of the F-15? This looks like it might be what I want. Thanks

Basically the holes in the glass at the bottom are in the wrong place. I left them alone as to not weaken the sheild. The sides that bolt to the adapter to headlight are wider, so the adapter needs to be made thicker. I put 2 pieces of metal together with 3M doubled sided tape. Then re-drilled the bottom holes in the metal bracket to fit the holes in the sheild. As it was it laid back too much. It needed to stand up a lil straighter. That's why I took it off and on several times to get the angle right.
I'd go for it if you want the bigger size.
I never throw away any type plates and adapters I stop using as I'll mill one to fit something different quite often.
If I can find the plates, I'll let you know. If I find them and you spring for the sheild, I'll mail them to you.

[
post #19 of 65 Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Do you remember the fitting details of the F-15? This looks like it might be what I want. Thanks

Basically the holes in the glass at the bottom are in the wrong place. I left them alone as to not weaken the sheild. The sides that bolt to the adapter to headlight are wider, so the adapter needs to be made thicker. I put 2 pieces of metal together with 3M doubled sided tape. Then re-drilled the bottom holes in the metal bracket to fit the holes in the sheild. As it was it laid back too much. It needed to stand up a lil straighter. That's why I took it off and on several times to get the angle right.
I'd go for it if you want the bigger size.
I never throw away any type plates and adapters I stop using as I'll mill one to fit something different quite often.
If I can find the plates, I'll let you know. If I find them and you spring for the sheild, I'll mail them to you.
Thanks for the offer, I may very well take you up on that. The size of the F15 looks big enough to keep wind and rain off without looking like a bubble. I'll let you know if I order one and of course mail a check for the shipping. Thanks again!

post #20 of 65 Old 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Which Givi is that one? Not bad looking.
A240

post #21 of 65 Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

RE:

My Givi 755 and new mirrows. Why did Honda use the reverse thread on the mirrow adapters? So, if they vibrated loose, they would constantly try to tighten back up by wind pressure? Blue locktight works well for that!

[
post #22 of 65 Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Sorry PC acting up and won't upload.

[
post #23 of 65 Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Tirone

I tried an F18. Only so-so chest protection, but a turbulent blast at my helmet.
I'm 5'10". I got a Honda screen when they became available again. Good chest protection with some wind at the helmet, but not very turbulent. A good compromise for me plus the mounting hardware is first-rate. Years of experience have taught me to be wary of accesory mfg. claims. "universal fit" means it won't fit anything, "custom fit" means it won't fit YOUR bike/car.

post #24 of 65 Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Memphis Shades Blade Runner in gradient black. Four point mount and very solid.

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 2.jpg (104.6 KB, 90 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #25 of 65 Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Brutale Hornet Builder

Hmmm my 919 came with this bathtub
-was on the bike for the first 20 minutes in my garage and now in a box
Shown with a friend who helped me pick it up and my to kids Mikkel and Malene

Model is unknown - havent looked at it since

Now running with a Powerbronze F5 in irridium blue, had to fabricate as I was not satisfied with the crapy suplied adapters/fitment

Did some Carbon strips with holes for the screen and a bigger one to get under the headlight bolt, thin enought to be flexible and follow the curve of the screen and strong enought to hold it secure at 150km/h
-just sawed it out of a small carbon sheet from the garage

Very good quality and good protection and looks (is more Shiny/Chrome and allmost the Hornet blue in the Sun)

Lars / Opper

post #26 of 65 Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Re: Opper

That 1st blue sheild looks like the bikini fairing that Chapparell, and some other warehouses used to sell. They had a round and square headlight model.

[
post #27 of 65 Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
My Givi 755 and new mirrows. Why did Honda use the reverse thread on the mirrow adapters? So, if they vibrated loose, they would constantly try to tighten back up by wind pressure? Blue locktight works well for that!
Hey, what kind of mirrors did you get? Are they wider than the oem? This is one of my biggest complaints on the 919, I would love to see something other than my shoulders! I was thinking of getting widening brackets but could probably buy new mirrors for the same $ or less. Any luck uploading the pic? Thanks.

post #28 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

RE: Mirrors

They are Emde that Honda stocks at a lower price then OEM. Metal not plastic. They are rectangle shaped and not quite as wide as stock. I found some polished alloy extenders That are being shipped from Hong Kong, now to move out 60mm on each side. I never liked the Mickey Mouse ears look of the OEM. I'll try again to make the jpeg of the mirrors smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror_externer_Chrome_800px_s.jpg (40.9 KB, 19 views)

[
post #29 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
They are Emde that Honda stocks at a lower price then OEM. Metal not plastic. They are rectangle shaped and not quite as wide as stock. I found some polished alloy extenders That are being shipped from Hong Kong, now to move out 60mm on each side. I never liked the Mickey Mouse ears look of the OEM. I'll try again to make the jpeg of the mirrors smaller.
I bought some of those mirror extenders. Made a big diff for me. I can see past my shoulders now.

post #30 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

RE:

Still hoping it will come thru.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirrors.jpg (150.4 KB, 84 views)

[
post #31 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Still hoping it will come thru.
How effective is the 755?

post #32 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I bought some of those mirror extenders. Made a big diff for me. I can see past my shoulders now.

Which ones did you get?

post #33 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Which ones did you get?
I got them off of eBay, its been awhile, but pretty much like these. Nice quality aluminum with Stainless Hardware

Ebay Auction

post #34 of 65 Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I got them off of eBay, its been awhile, but pretty much like these. Nice quality aluminum with Stainless Hardware

Ebay Auction

Thanks! I'll buy a pair tomorrow, these are the cheapest I've seen.

post #35 of 65 Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

RE: 755 Givi

Not alot different from the National F18. But, looks to be more aero shaped. Probably paint it Candy Glory Red when i decide to turn loose of the $$. That is hi dollar paint. $34 for a spray bomb!

[
post #36 of 65 Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM
just ride it...

I know a lot of people don't like national cycle, but I have the f-16 tall, and I love it. was easy to put on and take off. Good to tuck down behind, good screen over all. Even helps keep my tankbag dry, as long as I keep moving.

post #37 of 65 Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
just ride it...

my windscreen

post #38 of 65 Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post
I know a lot of people don't like national cycle, but I have the f-16 tall, and I love it. was easy to put on and take off. Good to tuck down behind, good screen over all. Even helps keep my tankbag dry, as long as I keep moving.
Good info CB, I can't seem to make up my mind which screen to go for. Everybody has their own opinions on them. I've been leaning towards the N.C. plexifairing GT. I know it's big but I think I'd only use it for cold weather. I'm just afraid to shell out $200 bucks and think it's butt ugly and not like it!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #39 of 65 Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Optio

My f-18 is now for sale if anyone's looking. Check the for sale section.

post #40 of 65 Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
just ride it...

I think it was the big GT windshield, my dad bought an old '77 goldwing and it came with it, he hated it and gave it to me, and I mounted it on my Nighthawk 750. It was pretty good, but you're right it was butt ugly. I only had it on when it was really cold. Alas, I sold it with the nighthawk or I'd make you a sweet deal on it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode