Non-cat Y-pipe for 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 55 Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Non-cat Y-pipe for 919

I have an '07 919, with the cat in the y-pipe.

I would like to replace it with an earlier no-cat Y-pipe, though I'm not seeing these widely available.

Anyone have a "spare" no-cat Y pipe?

On a related note, here's a question or two for you exhaust gurus:
How restrictive is the catalytic converter?
I'll be installing Semi-Grey's (good looking!) PAIR plates. Will the missing PAIR-air put an extra load on the catalytic converter and cause problems? (extra heat, etc).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I've got one: PM me with shipping info, and I will send it along if you reimburse me for the freight.

Tom

post #3 of 55 Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I've got one: PM me with shipping info, and I will send it along if you reimburse me for the freight.

Tom
PM sent - Thanks!

post #4 of 55 Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Oooh, I'd like to get in on this as well if someone else has a spare they'd like to part with.

post #5 of 55 Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Centurion

Although I dont see the point of doing so, you could punch it out with a hammer & punch. I have an 02 with the black no cat pipe. I wanted to upgrade to stainless so I got an 06 pipe & removed the cat since I didnt have one before & did not want to mess things up by having one. It takes longer to remove the Y than remove the cat. I dont think the cat on this bike is the bottle neck just IMHO; not based on anything but my eyes.

post #6 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I did the same thing about 2 years ago. Not a problem just punch it out.

post #7 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 AM
hairball919

Those catless y-pipes are still available! I bought one off a guy in from THIS forum, and it was still in the OEM Honda box with the part number still on it. So my buddy with an '06 919 used that number and ordered one from an online OEM Honda Parts retailer! Sure enough, he got the BLACK pipe without the cat. He DID get the factory replacement like the one I got. All you have to do is go to a Honda Dealer and order one for a 919 from 02-05 ONLY (06 & 07 have cats). The catless pipes are flat black, the ones with cats are silver. They sell for about $106 or something. What I found odd was how the LOOK like they have a bulge for the cat, but it was just left there (according to an engineer/machinist friend of mine who worked at Boeing for 30 years) only because it's cheaper for a manufacturer to not change the tooling when they make a part, then just omit one piece, then to retool or set up everything. Plus it saves them time. Makes sense to me.

WAIT! Here it is! Here is the part number I ordered! I just called my buddy and he found it on his receipt:

"JOINT, EXHAUST"
18380-MCZ-003
$99.62 is what he paid from MRCycles.com and here is the microfische pic:
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...2005&fveh=3016

Hope this helps! Let me know!

BTW... here is a (not very good) shot of mine installed. BFD? I know.

post #8 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Cool, good info all around. And in the spirit of WT in response to anyone posting up a pic of their bike:

Chain looks dry. :P

post #9 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

It didn't even occur to me that I could remove the catalytic element so easily.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to keep the original on hand for a few days to make sure the new piece was working as expected.

I need to clear a day or two on a weekend....
- Y pipe
- PAIR plates
- SS brake lines
- ...and the OEM tires have 4,000+ miles on them.

post #10 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Milites Gregarius

What's the advantage of ripping out the cat ? Does it cause some restriction ? I have an 06.

post #11 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff919 View Post
What's the advantage of ripping out the cat ? Does it cause some restriction ? I have an 06.
yes it restricts a bit... and the law says your supposed to have it... which makes tearing it out all the more satisfying

post #12 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
yes it restricts a bit... and the law says your supposed to have it... which makes tearing it out all the more satisfying
All the cops in KY take theirs out.

post #13 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
All the cops in KY take theirs out.
They are also known for dating their sisters and first cousins but that don't make that a good idea either

post #14 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Greg

A little off topic, but...
I wanna take the charcoal can off...should I splice the dangling hoses together ? Seal them off? The canister gets in my way more than the cat.
If I dangle them won't debris and particulates get "recycled" without an an filter ?

post #15 of 55 Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Man View Post
I wanna take the charcoal can off...
Sounds like you have the Kalifornia emissions version.

As I understand it, you can just remove that whole system and not miss it.

post #16 of 55 Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Milites Gregarius

I removed mine, as it is a necessary loss for the centerstand. I have felt no ill effects

post #17 of 55 Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
And in the spirit of WT in response to anyone posting up a pic of their bike: Chain looks dry. :P
If you're referring to my chain, it was. In fact I just had it lubed the other day when my new rear tire was installed. But hey, how observant of you!

post #18 of 55 Old 04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Greg

Yeah, TRAFFIC, Al Lamb's Honda of Dallas sold me a bike 2+ weeks ago and salesman said they had less $ in it (inventory cost I asked ?).....he didn't clarify. 2007 New 919, no miles, $6732 OTD & I was happy. It wasn't until a few days passed and I contemplated a centerstand that I noticed this Big-Time Dealer foisted a CA version off on me. I wouldn't thought they'd even GET CA versions here in Texas. My stupidity...

post #19 of 55 Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Greg

Thanks Guys! My can is coming off today as soon as I get off my can.

post #20 of 55 Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Tirone

anyone notice apower gain from removing the cat? i just removed my baffles a few weeks ago and didnt notice a gain, pc111 might help, i guess.

post #21 of 55 Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Tom,
The Y pipe arrived - I'll be turning wrenches today.
Reimbursement for shipping on the way.

Thanks!

post #22 of 55 Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Man View Post
Yeah, TRAFFIC, Al Lamb's Honda of Dallas sold me a bike 2+ weeks ago and salesman said they had less $ in it (inventory cost I asked ?).....he didn't clarify. 2007 New 919, no miles, $6732 OTD & I was happy. It wasn't until a few days passed and I contemplated a centerstand that I noticed this Big-Time Dealer foisted a CA version off on me. I wouldn't thought they'd even GET CA versions here in Texas. My stupidity...

Bought My 2003 Chevy DMAX From Texas, it was sold new in Texas, but it has the stupid Fed Emmissions on it as well, who would have figured?

All Dmax's came with cats and EGR's starting 2004.5 and newer......Oh well I removed the cat from my 03 LB7 along with the muffler, now it sounds great!

I know it is not a 919, but it is another TX vehicle with the Fed Emmissions crap.

I bought my 919 from TX as well, but 07 guarantees the cat and crap, but at least it does not have the Cali Gustapo stuff!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #23 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Well, I did some work on the bike yesterday.
No, I did not get the cat-less Y pipe installed. Removing/replacing the Y pipe requires removing the swing arm as per the service manual, though I think it can be done by just removing the rear shock. I'll have to cobble together some method to keep the rear end up during the swap.

After I installed the Watsen turn signals, PAIR plates and SS brake lines there was not enough time left in the day to tackle the Y pipe.

BTW - the turn signals are great! Very bright and very small. If you get them, order them with the Honda connectors rather than the older style bullet connectors. That would have made the installation a whole lot faster for me.

post #24 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Centurion

Just remove shock & lift the rear of the bike, keep the swingarm on.

post #25 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Just remove shock & lift the rear of the bike, keep the swingarm on.
Yes - despite what the service manual says, that's what my eyeballs told me.

So long as the bike is supported at the rear (hang it from the grab bar?), removing the rear shock does not look difficult. Who has direct experience - how long a project is that?

post #26 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Centurion

Me, its not hard but you have to lift the rear up several inches or the shock wont clear. If you think you need to remove the hugger you are still not high enough.

post #27 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Yes - despite what the service manual says, that's what my eyeballs told me.

So long as the bike is supported at the rear (hang it from the grab bar?), removing the rear shock does not look difficult. Who has direct experience - how long a project is that?
I would probably not hang from the grab bar. I hung from the passenger pegs. Be sure to not disconnect the shock from the reservoir, it is under high pressure and you will "not" be able to put it back together. Lift the bike from two I bolts in the rafters and two ratchet straps, take out the two bolts from the shock, take the clamp off the reservoir, and remove the whole assembly.

whole project shouldn't take more than a hour and a half including time to go to the store to get bolts for the rafters and straps.

post #28 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

When I removed my Y-pipe, I put a steel rod thru the center stand mount and jacked it up using a hydraulic jack. If you use this method get someone to help you keep it balanced.

post #29 of 55 Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I lifted it with my right hand and removed the shock with my left. Put the y pipe in and replaced everything while still holding it right handed

post #30 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here is how I did mine:

Lift the bike up and place jack stands under the rear sets.

Remove the left cover and loosen the clamp holding the shock res.

Removed the hugger and rear wheel

Remove the shock bolts and take out the the shock, letting the swing arm drop down.

Re&re the y pipe

reinstall everything in reverse order

I am going by memory so correct me if I missed anything.

post #31 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

There is no appreciative gain in hp by taking out a cat. The exhaust gases will flow better but it was designed to baffle some sound and burn any remnants of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas. My Speed Triple had a "pre-cat" in the header and then a cat in the midpipe. With both of those removed along with the SAI (similar to your PAIRS system) I have only a 3 hp gain.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #32 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
There is no appreciative gain in hp by taking out a cat. The exhaust gases will flow better but it was designed to baffle some sound and burn any remnants of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas. My Speed Triple had a "pre-cat" in the header and then a cat in the midpipe. With both of those removed along with the SAI (similar to your PAIRS system) I have only a 3 hp gain.
i would strangle kittens for a free 3 hp gain...

post #33 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
hairball919

[QUOTE=May Man;303263] 2007 New 919, no miles, $6732 OTD QUOTE]

Holy crap, man, did I get ripped off or what? Mine was $8330 OTD. I figured since the regular retail price was $8500, plus all the added costs, I was getting a decent deal. Looks like I should have kept checking more dealers since they were all willing to beat previous price quotes.

Oh well, it's done and paid for. No sense of me whining. Besides, in the next few months my garage will have an added decoration and my 919 will have a playmate: I'm going to get a Kawasaki Z-1000. I'm only pissed that I hadn't seen them when I was bike shopping. Only 9 pounds heavier than a 919. Pretty bike, and even knew they only list for like $8500. So I decided to get one this summer. Hey, others have several toys, so it's my turn. Geez, my buddy has like 13 bikes in his garage.

So now I'll go drown in my sorrows over paying so much for my 919.

post #34 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
There is no appreciative gain in hp by taking out a cat. The exhaust gases will flow better but it was designed to baffle some sound and burn any remnants of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas..
Oh, great! Now I better call every drag racer and classic car and muscle car owner I know and tell them they might wanna put their cats back onto their 3-inch exhaust because they didn't gain a thing by removing it.

I got into this arguement with someone else in another forum one day. My question (that nobody could answer) was that if removing a cat makes no difference what so ever in flow or power, why does everyone with cars take theirs out the first chance they get? Leaving a cat in is like running 3-inch exhaust pipe through stock mufflers. It just makes no sense. You're defeating the purpose of doing all you can to get more flow. Sort of why all the aftermarket mufflers for bikes and cars having bigger ports through them. For added flow. Some of us don't worry too much about unburned fuel. But every time I hear or read about someone claiming NOT having a flow-restricting cat, I want to throw up. And your 3 hp claim seems logical. But add that 3 hp's for removing a flow-restricting cat to any added hp you might get from aftermarket exhaust and mufflers and numbers start to climb.

Being Mr Car Photographer for 30 years, I've lost count of the literally thousands of car shows and drag races I've attended, not to mention how many new friends I've made over the years who are into performance and power. I can assure you they would ALL laugh at me until the cows came home if I were to get out my megaphone and make the announcement that removing a cat and freeing up the flow was a big waste of time and has not nor will it ever make any difference at all in power gains from the removal of something that restricts exhaust flow.

You get the point. We could go on and on and on about removing or not removing the cat. But all you have to do is go to ONE drag race or ONE car show and take a poll. Ask how many people left their cats installed but put in headers and Flowmasters or bigger exhaust. Then report the results back into WT.

By the way, the way I lifted my bike, as foolish as it may sound, is to use an engine hoist and a strap through the grab bar. It's not like the back end is super heavy. I never had to remove the hugger nor the entire shock. Just the top of the shock, swing it back, lower the swing arm, and turn the Y-Pipe. Of course I tried to just pick the bike up with one hand and hold it in the air for 10 minutes while I used the other hand to do all the work, but apparently I hadn't eaten enough wheaties that day to lift the back end of a 480 lb (wet) bike and hold it in the air for 10 or 15 minutes. My friend used the hoist to lift his 919 with no issues, so I did it. No issues. Hey, it's bolted into the frame.

post #35 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

The only down-side I see to removing the cat is the time it takes and making things louder. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust. The $#@! mandated emissions crap does tend to grate on my nerves, so having it gone is reason enough all by itself.

I don't have access to rafters, though I have a reasonable facsimile that'll work. That and a ratcheting tie-down strap will do nicely.
Thanks!

post #36 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I left my cat in to keep mice out of the airbox.

post #37 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i would strangle kittens for a free 3 hp gain...
Word on the street is you spank monkeys for even less!

post #38 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I left my cat in to keep mice out of the airbox.

Funny stuff, man.

post #39 of 55 Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Word on the street is you spank monkeys for even less!

post #40 of 55 Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Tirone

Quote:
The only down-side I see to removing the cat is the time it takes and making things louder. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust. The $#@! mandated emissions crap does tend to grate on my nerves, so having it gone is reason enough all by itself.

I don't have access to rafters, though I have a reasonable facsimile that'll work. That and a ratcheting tie-down strap will do nicely.
Thanks!
ha ha rafters . check out mia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode