Noise at low speeds.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Noise at low speeds..

Hey everyone...I've noticed that when I am riding at lower speeds (10-15mph) I can hear this noise from the front. It sounds like maybe the brake pads are still somewhat touching the rotor. It's not constant, but more on off on off on off. It's a friction noise of some kind.

Any ideas as to what it is and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Unbannable

It may just be your pads touching a little. In that case not a problem.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I hear the same thing. If it's a rotational rubbing sound it is most likely the pads. Mine gets louder when I lean into a corner. Try riding the front brakes a little and see if it goes away. If it does, mystery solved.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I hear the same thing. If it's a rotational rubbing sound it is most likely the pads. Mine gets louder when I lean into a corner. Try riding the front brakes a little and see if it goes away. If it does, mystery solved.
That's EXACTLY what mine is doing. I agree in that more than likely it is the pads slightly rubbing the rotor. Is this something that can be fixed or is it nothing to worry about? (I'm not sure if the 919 has a return spring for the pads.)

Thanks,
Cris P.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The square section seals that bear against the pistons deform when pressure is applied, and relax when released, retracting the pistons a small amount. The pads, however, are not physically tied to the pistons so will be against the rotors but not firmly -- the normal small amount of rotor runout will knock them back against the pistons, but some residual contact is common, resulting in the noise you hear. If it is excessive the rotors will get hot while riding. To check this, apply the brakes medium hard then release and ride for a couple miles without using the brakes. After this, stop using the rear brake only and feel the rotors, being careful at first, for heat: they shouldn't be much above ambient temperature. If one is hot to the touch there may be a piston hanging up on that side. If both are hot there may be a problem with the master cylinder not returning far enough to uncover the compensating port, thereby constantly applying pressure to the pistons. This is unlikely.

From your description it sounds normal.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The square section seals that bear against the pistons deform when pressure is applied, and relax when released, retracting the pistons a small amount. The pads, however, are not physically tied to the pistons so will be against the rotors but not firmly -- the normal small amount of rotor runout will knock them back against the pistons, but some residual contact is common, resulting in the noise you hear. If it is excessive the rotors will get hot while riding. To check this, apply the brakes medium hard then release and ride for a couple miles without using the brakes. After this, stop using the rear brake only and feel the rotors, being careful at first, for heat: they shouldn't be much above ambient temperature. If one is hot to the touch there may be a piston hanging up on that side. If both are hot there may be a problem with the master cylinder not returning far enough to uncover the compensating port, thereby constantly applying pressure to the pistons. This is unlikely.

From your description it sounds normal.

Rob
Sounds good man, thanks for the explanation. I'll try the braking technique and see if I notice, but from what it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks,
Cris P.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have the exact same thing. The rubbing sound gets louder when I'm leaning into a turn. Glad to hear it's a common thing and not a problem. Would still rather not have it happen tough.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

To eliminate the noise, use a pair of channel locks to pull the pads away from the rotors and quit using your brakes.

Hope this helps.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
To eliminate the noise, use a pair of channel locks to pull the pads away from the rotors and quit using your brakes.

Hope this helps.

Hahahaha...I'll just start using my reversers on the HondaJet engines I just installed.

Cris P.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

I wear skull bucket always .........I could hear that if I wanted to.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
boogerface

I notice this sound...it sounds like a modem communicating...or a turbine whirling idle...or maybe like a ball bearing spinning on the inner side of a pot. I have a friend that had a 919. He has a RC51 now, but he's the one that persuaded me to get a the niner. He told me he didn't notice any abnormal sounds...and what I was hearing was normal.

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode