NO BRAKE LIGHTS !! PLEASE HELP - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

NO BRAKE LIGHTS !! PLEASE HELP

I changed my handlebars and went to pre ride check and my brake light do not work. I checked that the front light clips on the brake lever were put back on, checked the fuses and all are fine. Any suggestions? I did a search but none seemed to help. than you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Got a voltmeter? Check that one of the wires is hot coming into the switch.

I assume you have checked and the brake lights work off of the foot switch?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I had the right rear brake light bulb go out last week(this is my second replacement in the right socket within 45K). I swapped out the bulb and then the left one went out. Fortunately I had two bulbs in stock so I changed the left one also. Everything functioned perfectly after that except my brake light stayed on and would not shut off. I had to adjust my brake light switch at the foot pedal to get it all back to normal.

Both bulbs failed on a continuity test.

Very weird?

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #4 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

I had to adjust the foot pedal as well, at first I thought my brake lights were not working but after looking at the bulbs I noticed both filaments on the bulbs were lit.

post #5 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

both bubs in rear look fine, why would i need to readjust my rear foot brake sensor and how?

post #6 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mikey810 View Post
both bubs in rear look fine, why would i need to readjust my rear foot brake sensor and how?
Does the brake light work when you use the foot brake? Just a check to see if the bulbs are working at all. Answer that and we can help you further.

It's grasping at straws without a voltmeter, or at least knowing if the bulbs work. What does "both bubs in rear look fine" mean? Do they work, or did you just look at the filaments?

My guess is you messed up something with the front brake switch, but over a forum troubleshooting has to begin somewhere.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

BTW, a quick check of the front switch. Remove both connectors, use a paper clip/piece of wire/something that conducts electricity and put it in the connectors to jump them together. This bypasses the switch. If it lights up then the problem is with the switch or brake lever initiating the switch.

Key must be on to check.

But you really need to use your foot switch first to see if one or both bulbs work at all.

post #8 of 33 Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

no lights from either hand or foot brake pedal, yes the bulbs look fine, look brand new, dont see why they would suddenly go bad, why this would all this happen from changing a handlebar?

post #9 of 33 Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Do you know they worked before you changed the bars? May not have.

If you don't have a volt/ohm meter to test them, then see below.

At this point your best (read:cheapest,quickest) test is to get two new bulbs and try them. If they work that fixed your problem. If they don't you have them for spares and we'll help further. You'll need the spares sooner or later anyway.

Or, your brake light is stuck on because one of the switches is staying made.

post #10 of 33 Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Do you know they worked before you changed the bars? May not have.

If you don't have a volt/ohm meter to test them, then see below.

At this point your best (read:cheapest,quickest) test is to get two new bulbs and try them. If they work that fixed your problem. If they don't you have them for spares and we'll help further. You'll need the spares sooner or later anyway.

Or, your brake light is stuck on because one of the switches is staying made.

+1 on the bulb change.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #11 of 33 Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i will get some bulbs in the next few days here and give it a try

post #12 of 33 Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

replaced the rear tail lights and still no brake lights.

post #13 of 33 Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

After reading this thread I went out and tested mine the other night. I only had brake lights when the front was activated, nothing on the rear. I adjusted the rear brake light switch and fixed it.

I did learn one thing that may help you. If you adjust it too far, it will stay on all the time and you will get no change when you activate the front or rear. You may want to try the rear switch.

See below pic for adjustment. You can adjust it with just your hand, no tools needed.

post #14 of 33 Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
CG

I think MD Mike may be onto something. And it could also be that your front switch is shorted or always "on". Try disconnecting the front switch and see if the back brake works right. If not, then disconnect the back switch and see what happens.

Some other members have had the brakes lights stuck on all the time and thought they had no brake lights. I think you might have this also.

If the front switch is shorted, it might just be stuck in or it might just be out of position. If I recall, the front switch can be pushed out slightly and turned so it's not seated properly into its mount. This could cause the switch to be "on" all the time. And this could happen while you are messing with the handlebars.

I'm betting you have something simple like this going on.

post #15 of 33 Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

when i disconnect the front on the handlebar the back brake lever still dont work, i adjusted that brakelight switch pointed out by marylandmike, i adjusted it out and adjusted it in, still no lights. am i supposed to hear a "click" in the foot pedal like in the front hand brake lever? i dont hear any clicks like that on the foot brake pedal.

post #16 of 33 Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Man this has been going on awhile. Why don't you try removing the two front switch wires and use a paper clip to jump the two wires together. This will complete the circuit bypassing the front switch. See what that does.

post #17 of 33 Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

tried that paper clip trick -- no lights, so that means my front swith is fine? problem in foot brake pedal?

post #18 of 33 Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Gets censored

Double check your fuses sometimes they can look good until you really inspect them. Sounds like you shorted something during the swap and a fuse popped, thats why niether switch is activating the brake light.

post #19 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Are you turning your key to the "on" before you try the brake? It shouldn't be this hard.

Spoiler:

post #20 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

It's time to start poking around with a test light or multi meter....

post #21 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mikey810 View Post
tried that paper clip trick -- no lights, so that means my front swith is fine? problem in foot brake pedal?
The paper clip is a crude replacement for the switch. When the lugs are shorted together with the paper clip, the brake light should light.

post #22 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
CG

Are you sure the bulbs are good? Check with a continuity tester of some sort.

I know you said they "look fine". Open filaments can be hard to see.

Do your tail lights work? Is the connector for the brake lights and tail lights connected?

After that, if bulbs are verified good, you need to disconnect BOTH switches. Then do the paper clip thing.

Get back to us with results.

post #23 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

You are making this harder than trying to stab someone in the dark.

Can you answer these questions? Make sure all wiring is in place as normal.

1) If you turn the key on do you have taillights at all. Don't touch the brakes. Do you have taillights? Not brakelights, tailights.

2) Are you sure your tailights are not on all the time? Remove the sockets from the tail section and turn the key on with the bulbs still in. Don't touch the brakes. Are both filaments lit in each bulb, or just one in each bulb. If both are lit your brake lights are on when they shouldn't be. You probably need to adjust your rear switch.

3) If they are not on, and applying the front brake or the rear brake (please try both individually and note what happens) then you have a no power issue to the switches. It's then down to fuses/broken wiring/bad switch somewhere.

If you go back thru and read your posts you're kind of stabbing in the dark (pun intended). I can't tell if you ever tried the rear brake with everything hooked up because you first said you disconnected the front first.

Also, do you have a voltmeter? It makes troubleshooting real easy since you can see if one of the wires to the front switch is hot. One of them should be hot when the key is on.

post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
You are making this harder than trying to stab someone in the dark.
I got stabbed in the dark. By a chick, with a key, in the forehead.

post #25 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I got stabbed in the dark. By a chick, with a key, in the forehead.
Has the restraining order passed yet?

post #26 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

No reply yet. I think he was forgeting to turn his key.

Spoiler:

post #27 of 33 Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Gets censored

Oh snap, you guys are cold.

post #28 of 33 Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

i ve been working, thanks for replies, will start checking things out and post later.

post #29 of 33 Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Gets censored

Wtf?

post #30 of 33 Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Tirone

Just had the same problem thanks for the post on the rear brake lever adjustment!

post #31 of 33 Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

fixed, got a volt meter did some checking and it was the connections to the rear bulbs took it apart sprayed contact cleaner and they finally work. took awhile ive been working alot and this michigan weather is no help in the motivation.

post #32 of 33 Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Do you do walk around inspections of your bike before you ride? I doubt that happened because you changed your handlebars. You probably haven't had rear brake lights for awhile.

Get in the habit of testing taking a minute to check headlight and taillights. Then stand on the right side of the bike and check the brake lights by placing your hand over the taillight and applying the rear and front brakes one at a time. You can tell if the rear bulbs are working. Check your turn signals too.

Glad you got it sorted.

post #33 of 33 Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Gets censored

sweet, thanks for the report

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode