Niner appreciation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Niner appreciation

So it's finally all together (05 converted to red, triumph s3 bars, rashed/broken parts fixed). I've been riding it more lately and am beginning to appreciate it more for what it is.
Sure it's not brutally fast like like my other bike but at over a hundred lbs lighter, it feels weightless in comparison and can be thrown around much easier. Zips through traffic wonderfully and feels great over bumps too (nj roads suck).
The mirrors took some tinkering but I can see great out of them now. My bro-in-law called them Mickey Mouse ears but I'm getting used it. The biggest issue is their location as my other bike has them up on the fairing where they're more at eye level. But the mirrors and gauges are both round so they're symetrical imo and will stay.
I like the quiet pipes. I feel stealthy compared to my turbo bike which is quiet around town but screams above 4k. On the 919, by the time you realize I'm there, I'm already gone! I've heard some folks call it twitchy down low but that was overcome with just a little concentration in throttle control. If you want twitchy, take a ride on a 748!
If I was going to change anything cosmetic, I'd probably powdercoat some of those dull grey parts - top triple clamp, airbox covers, grab rail. Other than that, I like the classic styling. Smaller turnsignals would be nice (or integrated), but around here you want those soccer moms to see as much flashing orange as you can. Call me old fashioned - I've been called worse!

One last thing: what the heck is up with the seat pushing you forward all the time?! What were they thinking? Have you guys with tons of miles on the stock seat gotten used to it, or do you just constantly adjust your shorts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Have you guys with tons of miles on the stock seat gotten used to it, or do you just constantly adjust your shorts?
No, they get a better seat. I gotta say, as much as I love my 9er, I hate the seat! Sometimes, I pull over during a ride and sit on the curb to give my cheeks a cushy rest.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Corbin is your friend.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice review!

All bikes' stock seats are only for the ride home from the Dealer. For the adrenaline rush of owning a new bike overcomes the pain temporarily.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 PM

The new Multistrada we looked at has the hardest seat I've ever sat on, and the KTM 950 Adventure isn't much better. Even the dealers are astounded by them. We are told optional factory "comfort" seats may become available. Why not make the "discomfort" seat an option, just to see how many people would order one?

-Peter Egan

post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

One hundred miles of backroads blasting today. Just after the halfway point, coming around the first part of a sweeping S at about 90, there he is parked in the trees - State Trooper! SHIIT!! Run Forest, Run!
Luckily, it must've been an unmanned vehicle, he was napping, whatever. He never even pulled out. Good thing too 'cause there was pretty much no where for me to go and even with his big heavy cruiser and a measley 235hp 4.6L, I probably couldn't have outrun him.
Anyway - so is this what it's like to whiz around the curves without all that wobble & chassis flex? Way groovy!

post #7 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
One hundred miles of backroads blasting today. Just after the halfway point, coming around the first part of a sweeping S at about 90, there he is parked in the trees - State Trooper! SHIIT!! Run Forest, Run!
Luckily, it must've been an unmanned vehicle, he was napping, whatever. He never even pulled out. Good thing too 'cause there was pretty much no where for me to go and even with his big heavy cruiser and a measley 235hp 4.6L, I probably couldn't have outrun him.
Anyway - so is this what it's like to whiz around the curves without all that wobble & chassis flex? Way groovy!
Remember no bike is faster than a radio! Don't get yourself hurt to avoid a silly ticket.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Or worse, risk hurting someone else. Even though I was way out in the sticks. Surprised to see any five-O at all out there.
Yeah, those were the old days. I'll take the ticket if it comes to that. "All growed up" I've been trouble-free for several years now.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Or worse, risk hurting someone else. Even though I was way out in the sticks. Surprised to see any five-O at all out there.
Yeah, those were the old days. I'll take the ticket if it comes to that. "All growed up" I've been trouble-free for several years now.
Haha. You're having way too much fun, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Common sense goes a long way. I sometimes lack it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode