Newbie help: Should I buy this 06 919 w/rust? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Newbie help: Should I buy this 06 919 w/rust?

Great forum. I'm a long time biker and have wanted a 919 for some time. I live in south FL and have recently seen 3 used bikes, one 2006 and two 2007 models. They all have low miles but the 2006 is the cleanest. The problem is that they are ALL rusty. They are spotted all over. I have seen some of the threads on this and recognize that it appears to be common with these materials.

Attached are some close up pictures of the 2006 that I saw today. The owner bought it new and had to garage it due to bad knees. It's got about 2400 miles on it.

My question is: Can this bike be cleaned or will I have to replace all the rusty bits? It may not be obvious in the pics at first glance, but the hand and foot levers, triple clamps, and various nuts and bolts all have rust. This thing has been garaged for Pete's sake....the salt air is strong around here and it appears that Honda went cheap on some of the parts.

What do you guys think? Is it a good example and worth $4200? I can get a brand new 2007 leftover for $6400...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (123.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (108.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (123.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (72.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (81.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (98.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (101.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (129.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (96.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (90.8 KB, 69 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Gets censored

Its up too you, when you buy a new one you're either gonna be out there 7 days a week wiping it down after every ride or its gonna look like that used one real quick. You live in FL, mine looked MINT until 2 months after I moved back to FL, meh its part of the deal. Salt sux but it is what it is, better than living in georgia. i ride too much too clean it daily.

Id go for the 4k one personally these bikes run forever. How many miles are on it? and some steel wool will work wonders on minor surface rust, dont go crazy though tread easy.

post #3 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Fat guy on a little bike!

Agreed.

The bike is in great shape but it sounds like you and I are alike. I can't stand rust and that would drive me nutty.

Jeff
post #4 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
CG

Looks pretty good to me. Most of the parts you mention are actually aluminum I believe so maybe some oxidation but not actually rust on those parts?

I agree that probably anything in your area will look similar. And a little steel wool on the steel parts will go along way.

post #5 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Pilus Posterior

Ekkkk!!!!!!!!!!! No rust on mine! And there does not appear to be anything cheap about the fittings - must be the conditions in your area.

post #6 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Tirone

the pipes are easy to clean up. take 600 grit wet sandpaper, soak in water, then sand the pipes down (on the bike) until the stainless steel looks new again. they will have a dull silver finish. now, polish with Mothers metal polish. they will look like chrome. once you start the motor they will turn a nice gold color.

the nuts and bolt can be polish with Mothers or take a soft brass brush (about 1 1/2 inch long) and brush. they clean up nice.

post #7 of 36 Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
My header pipes are like that too. one of the joys of riding in January on Iowa salt covered roads. Let us know how they clean up, if you get it.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #8 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

yea you could ploish the headers, like all the time, if i was you and bought that bike i would pull them off and ceramic coat them, will last almost forever. or i hate to say it have them chromed, will save you alot of cleanup time in the long run, if you are more of a ridder than a polisher.

if you buy it and want to have them coated but dont want to have the bike down to have it done you may beable to find a used set of headers to have coated while you can still ride.... oh yea i have a set kicking around i am willing to sell

post #9 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I was stationed in Okinawa Japan, and that is the corrosion capital of the world!

Use SOS Pads, the soap is a good lubricant, and the steel wool will clean the rust stains off.

The aluminium parts, it just depends on how shiney you want them to be, but once again use the SOS pad and just do NOT let the soap dry out, it will make it hard to polish what you are working on.

Like stated about the pipes, 600 grit wet paper and then polish.

I live up here in the panhandle, but I am 50 miles inland, just 2 miles south of Alabama and I garage my bike every night

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #10 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Pob
Tirone

Hi I would buy it, it's fine - nothing an afternoon in the garage with a few rags and polish and bit of elbow grease won't sort out. Once cleaned up use ACF50 - I swear by it it's fantastic stuff. Over here the councils salt the roads in winter and we get so much rain - I have used ACF50 for years and it stops all the corrosion and lubes bits as well. Bear in mind it's low miles so engine and everything will be like new. Do an oil and oil filter change straight away and ride it.

post #11 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Just so you know, I paid $5,600 for my left over 07 about 6 months ago.

post #12 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Thanks for the comments. I'm still on the fence but leaning towards grabbing it to save the two grand. It is frustrating however and I must admit that I'm a little suspicious of these guys for not monitoring the condition of their rides better. The thing is that I've seen three of them and they all have similar issues on the surface. I saw two of them come out of their garages where they were stored and they still had the issues.

My second choice (a very close second) is a Yamaha FZ6. I rode a 2001 FZ1 for four years and loved it. I thought about moving to a 600 to get better mileage. The FZ6 has similar HP but of course is down on torque. I've looked at a number of FZ6s and FZ1s in FL and so far have seen NONE, that's ZERO, with the surface rust/oxidation that I'm seeing on the 919s. I hate the FZ's batman front end like a lot of people and prefer the classic look of the 919. I also want the the torque but man I hate seeing all the issues.

The better condition of the used Yammies has me questioning the material quality used on the CB. I will be making a decision in a day or two as I'm ready to ride. I can get a 2008 FZ6 with low miles for about the same price. I've even seen brand new ones on the Internet for $4999.

post #13 of 36 Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Hey nine1nine, that's a great price. I have one in Orlando for 6400 and one in Atlanta for 6200. They are both about 7k out the door. I would buy the new one at 5600 in a second. If anyone knows of one at that price, please send me a message. I see one listed on Cycle Trader in WA for 5400 but apparently the buyer has to physically appear to buy it now - some kind of new rule with Honda?

post #14 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

what rust?
save 2 G's and buy it, you wont regret it, 9ers are bitchin rides dude

post #15 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Di"zx"en

Save the money and get the used one. It really doesnt look that bad but I know what you mean about the corroded bolt heads. Very annoying but easily taken care of. With the money you save, head down to Harbor Freight and get yourself a 3/4 horse buffing wheel and a stand. Remove things alittle at a time and clean it up. You'll get to know the bike inside and out and have a little therapeutic time to your self as a bonus.

That'll work........
post #16 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Found another

I dunno - still hesitating. The rear sprocket pic also bugs me. That chain looks like it's never been cleaned - another sign of a careless owner. My gut says no on this one.

But...I found another. This is a 2007 with only 43 miles on it. Owner let it fall over an dented the tank. She's asking 4500...I'm thinking of deducted for the tank repair and making an offer. It's spotless otherwise and garaged in Orlando.

Oops - pic uploader keeps failing. Anway, it's spotless 07 with a golf ball sized dent on the right side of the tank.

post #17 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
So you'd rather spend money to replace a dented tank than a little elbow grease and maybe $250 for chain and sprockets? Well, do what you want. I think I'd go with the 'new' one.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #18 of 36 Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
I dunno - still hesitating. The rear sprocket pic also bugs me. That chain looks like it's never been cleaned - another sign of a careless owner. My gut says no on this one.

But...I found another. This is a 2007 with only 43 miles on it. Owner let it fall over an dented the tank. She's asking 4500...I'm thinking of deducted for the tank repair and making an offer. It's spotless otherwise and garaged in Orlando.

Oops - pic uploader keeps failing. Anway, it's spotless 07 with a golf ball sized dent on the right side of the tank.
bought mine with a pretty big dent in the tank... never fixed it... just keep the crap that needs maintaining maintained.... and ride ride ride... pluss new paint LOVES asphalt.

post #19 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 AM
CG

Quote:

Sounds like the one I would go for. A brand new tank is ~$400. Even if you have to pay $4500 and replace the tank, a 919 with 43 miles for $4900 (with a new tank) is a pretty good deal in my book.

I would bet there is some other damage though. Check the engine side cover, bar end, mirror, lever, radiator. It's hard to just dent the tank without some damage elsewhere. The other bits might have been replaced.

post #20 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The 06 will clean up fine. I was actually going to mention the chain as well, looks godawful. The dented 07 is sweet, but the tank dent would drive me nuts. You could search ebay and maybe find another red one available, but unless you can find a better source than me, Candy Glory Red from ColorRite is $87 / HALF PINT!! So painting is out of the question for me. I want to paint my side covers and hugger but you need $87 base, $87 top, $18 primer and $18 clear. $210 just for materials is lunacy, not to mention I would need someone to paint it. You could go the aerosol route for a little over $100 but I wouldn't do that on the tank.

Weigh the pros and cons of the 06 and the denter and go with your gut. If you got cash you could just totally repaint the denter and make her one of a kind. Or live with the dent

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #21 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
Sounds like the one I would go for. A brand new tank is ~$400. Even if you have to pay $4500 and replace the tank, a 919 with 43 miles for $4900 (with a new tank) is a pretty good deal in my book.
$400 sounds much better than all my rambling.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #22 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Here's the pic of the dent. Does a new tank come painted? She says it fell over on her leg and nothing else hit - I would of course need to see it...she sent me two large 3MB pictures and I can't see another scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919wdent.jpg (49.8 KB, 27 views)

post #23 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

You should buy the $4,200 one. I paid $4,099 on the road (tax, title, and license fees) for my 2003 back in 2008. It had 15,xxx miles on it, no adjustable suspension, and the tires were near the end of their life.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #24 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Buy my nice silver 04. No dent, no rust, just lots of Honda Polish and ArmourAll, sitting in my basement.

post #25 of 36 Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Buy my nice silver 04. No dent, no rust, just lots of Honda Polish and ArmourAll, sitting in my basement.
It is nice.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #26 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

After talking with the owner of the bike with a dent, I'm not buying it. He (not a she) has a lien and wanted cash in exchange for the bike. Right! I also decided not to buy the dirty 2006 with so many spots of rust and/or oxidation - just didn't feel right.

I found another leftover 2007 in south GA and it appears that the dealer may let it go for just under 6k - still working with them but it looks promising.

post #27 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Tirone

I think you are being WWWAAAAAYYYYY too picky. Just buy a new one so you will be happy. When you buy used you get USED!

post #28 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
After talking with the owner of the bike with a dent, I'm not buying it. He (not a she) has a lien and wanted cash in exchange for the bike. Right!
whats wrong with a lien on the title? thats easy to deal with! give him cash, get a bill of sale, and take the bike. go to a notary and have an agreement signed by both of you and notarized stating that he will pay the balance in full and request the lien be removed and title sent asap, to which he will then immediately sign it and send it your way by so and so date. if that doesnt happen, whatever conditions you guys agree on will come into effect. if worse comes to worse, just sue him to which you've already got a won case because of the notarized agreement. piece of cake.

post #29 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

He didn't give me that loving feeling and was quite uncomfortable when I suggested a cashier's check payable to his lienholder - the only way to do it semi-safely. Forget it.

I just gave a 1000 deposit over the phone for the new 2007 in GA. I got it for 6k OTD it's worth the extra 1500-1800 to start riding and not worry any more about all the shysters in FL.

I typically buy used and all of my current vehicles were bought used so that's what I prefer in order to save money. I do expect however, that the owner will have cared for the vehicle and can easily show a documented maintenance history. I just have not had luck finding a 919 in that condition for less than $5k. To each his own, thanks. I appreciate all the comments and look forward to picking up the niner in a week or so.

post #30 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Discen

I keep my bikes in immaculate condition; that being said, I would hate to see someone like mambo coming my way... cautious is one thing, anal and fussy is another. BTW, recently paid 3500 for my beautiful 919, made the deal in one visit, smooth as silk.. thanks, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040059.jpg (65.8 KB, 14 views)

post #31 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Di"zx"en

$1800 would have bought alot of cleaning supplies.........

That'll work........
post #32 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yes you are all correct. I look forward to spending a lot of time riding my new bike and less time online.

post #33 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

$6K out the door is a great price for a great bike. I bought mine new too. I didn't see the discount for used bikes I could find at the time really worth it.

Enjoy it and ride safe!

post #34 of 36 Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM
CG

I would no way have paid $$ to the owner of a bike with a lien. If things go south, yeah, you have legal recourse and legal fees and headaches to go with it.

Sounds like you got a great deal to me. When I was looking last fall, the best I could do on a new bike was 7K plus tax & tags. I found a nice lightly used bike for $4900 but had to drive ~12 hrs RT to get it. Was worth it to save the $2100 at the time but I would have taken the deal you got for sure.

Enjoy!

post #35 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Congrats and wishing you many happy miles on your new 919!
Rust seems to be a problem on some of them. Could be the build years were they possibly used different subcontractors for finishing or paints?

post #36 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I would have been leery of parting with my cash without receiving a clear title, too...Glad to see you found the bike you wanted though. I've read quite a bit about the rust issues from riders on the Hornets Nest in the UK, the fixes that were mentioned above will work well for you, should you need them.

Happy riding!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode