*NEWB*Looking at buying my first bike, Honda 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

*NEWB*Looking at buying my first bike, Honda 919

Howdy everyone,

Im sure yall will notice im a newb to this sight,

but I wanted to ask for some insight here, I have never ridden a bike, but right now, I want one, and want one in the worst way, I particularly like the Honda 919 im going to go look at one Friday or saturday.

this one to be exact 2003 Honda 919

Im mostly curious what yall think if the 919, and well..if any of you can give some insight on the price, i feel its priced a tad high, and more like 2,500. are the miles an issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
Howdy everyone,

Im sure yall will notice im a newb to this sight,

but I wanted to ask for some insight here, I have never ridden a bike, but right now, I want one, and want one in the worst way, I particularly like the Honda 919 im going to go look at one Friday or saturday.

this one to be exact 2003 Honda 919

Im mostly curious what yall think if the 919, and well..if any of you can give some insight on the price, i feel its priced a tad high, and more like 2,500. are the miles an issues?
I wouldn't suggest a newb rider to buy a 919. More than enough power tonget you into a tight spot you do not have the skils or experience to deal with. Buy something smaller and cheaper to crash, ride the shit out of it for a.couple of years, then track down a 919.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I thought that as well, i have friends who are pretty sure a 919 would be fine for me, im not a stranger to performance vehicles, just never a bike

post #4 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I'm with beefsalad. No experienced rider who cares about your well-being is likely to recommend a 919. Start with something cheap and light. Ride it until you're sick of it, sell to the next new rider.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 02:59 PM
dazed and confused

Guess I'm third. I would absolutely advise against the 919. When I was just starting I was positive that I could control a big bike, but money and common sense won out and I got a cheap 1985 650 as a starter. Rode it for 5 years through high school and college then sold it for more than I bought it for. Thinking back though, I'm pretty sure I woulda wound up either in jail or the morgue within the first month had I had something like the 919 - there's just no way I would have had the control needed to manage it. Evaluate yourself, but don't let your buddies pressure you into something just because it'd be cooler.
The one exception I've seen is somebody that's grown up with dirtbikes. Since they already have plenty experience with really torquey bikes they can usually transition pretty easy.

post #6 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Centurion

Garage
I rode a honda cb-1(400cc) for 3 months before buying my 919 and I've been ridding since Juna 2014...I'm quite a responsible rider and so far the 9er has been good to me. But I feel that I'm not effectively using all that power and the bike still scares me when I grab a full wrist of throttle...

The 919 is my dream bike but I'm considering to downgrade to something with less power because I would like to have a nice progressive learning curve WITHOUT killing myself.

Soooo I would suggest you take it easy and progressive when it comes to this topic. Not sure how old you are, but I'm 23 and I would prefer to ride a 919 at full potential when I hit 40 than risk dying now :P Maybe at this age i should spend more money on girls instead of motorcycles since i'm still young and dashing

post #7 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 PM
dazed and confused

Oh, and if you're worried about the fun factor, many riders will tell you that it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

post #8 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 03:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapedLabRat View Post
Oh, and if you're worried about the fun factor, many riders will tell you that it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Railing around Harleys on my 250r makes me chuckle, especially when you see them trying.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
+1 aww yes...

post #10 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Cornicen

1st, I think that is a good price for that bike.

In terms of what bike to choose, you should buy a smaller one (and not a 600 supersport). Experience with performance vehicles does not translate to motorcycles because you have to learn all of the controls, balance, weight inputs, etc for the first time. These have to become muscle memory and you have to work on these skills for as long as you ride. Why do you think so many people buy a bike and then decide it's not for them? It's not easy. A smaller bike is lighter which makes it easier to handle, it doesn't have the power (believe me, there is plenty though) so you can manage it more effectively. What you come to realize after you're on a bike for a while is how much of its potential you are using, and if you aren't racing competitively you probably aren't using very much of it. Once you make that realization you might decide that a smaller bike would be a better choice for you anyway!

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #11 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
I rode a honda cb-1(400cc) for 3 months before buying my 919 and I've been ridding since Juna 2014...I'm quite a responsible rider and so far the 9er has been good to me. But I feel that I'm not effectively using all that power and the bike still scares me when I grab a full wrist of throttle...

The 919 is my dream bike but I'm considering to downgrade to something with less power because I would like to have a nice progressive learning curve WITHOUT killing myself.

Soooo I would suggest you take it easy and progressive when it comes to this topic. Not sure how old you are, but I'm 23 and I would prefer to ride a 919 at full potential when I hit 40 than risk dying now :P Maybe at this age i should spend more money on girls instead of motorcycles since i'm still young and dashing
I am 30, the 919 just shows awesome to me, i was just sitting on a Kawi Z1000 did not seem to heavy, but im sure with engine running that could be very different.

I do apprecaite all the input guys, I dont want to die myself. i just get very contradicting things on this topic. heard at highway speed, the bike is easy to handle, and at lower speeds comes the tiping potential.

post #12 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

It's exactly the slow speed maneuvers that you have to get down. You can get that on ANY bike, but it's much easier to do on a bike that won't get you in trouble (and won't hurt your wallet).

Some more advice... You will drop that bike. You will, I guarantee it. So do you want to buy your dream bike NOW and know that you will damage it soon? Or buy a beat up well running learner bike, beat the snot out of it and hone your skills (and dropping it a few times for good measure) and then work UP to your dream bike?

Age and experience with other vehicles does not a good motorcycle rider make.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So yall are saying its the slow speed weight more then then highway speeds that are going to get me in trouble, the bike does have sliders on it, I will seriously consider ya'lls stance, I was sitting on my friends Z1000 moments ago, that balanced well and i did tip it and was able to recover it, that is without the engine running.

post #14 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM
GLG-20

Garage
This may not be at all what you are interested in, but if you have access to any fields or trails to ride (there must be some around Edgerton!), a dual-sport bike is a great starter IMHO. Actually, they are a good starter even if you don't take them off-road. I learned a lot on mine, and mistakes in a field or on a trail hurt a lot less than on the street. A 250cc-400cc bike will have all the power you need for the street. And has been stated in other threads, when you want to move on you can sell it for little to no loss.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #15 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM
The 35.5 MPG 919

Quote:
Definitely this. I had a 225cc bike for a little under 4 years. I had more fun on this at full speed through the twisties than I do on 919 at half speed.

There's just something fun about revving the hell out of a smaller capacity bike

post #16 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 PM
TEXAN

My 919 is my first road bike. I've been riding it for three years now and I LOVE it.

Having said that, I had years of experience on dirt bikes before I put a leg over a road bike. And to be honest, that first road bike was a friend's uber-powerful TW200 - watch out!!! It was a great way to get a bit of road-going experience without having the bike get away from me with its 16 horsepower of road-ripping FURY.

From the TW200, I went to a borrowed Street Triple that I don't really fit on (as if I fit on the TW200!). So, a bit of a step up in power, then. I managed to ride it for several months without tearing the handlebar off of the bike in shear terror, so I felt I was ready for a 919.

I was correct, sort-of. It has taken me three years to feel that I am truly competent as a street rider. I still have so, so much to learn! Being over 40 helps with not biting off more than I can chew (because I ceased being bullet-proof a long time ago). Even so, the 919 is a beast, even considering that new bikes these days are double-beasts (see one my dream bikes, the Tuono V4R).

Bottom line? Somehow, ride something that is not a 919 for a time, even if you score that 919 now and park it. Something lighter, with less power. You'll thank us later.

post #17 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
So yall are saying its the slow speed weight more then then highway speeds that are going to get me in trouble, the bike does have sliders on it, I will seriously consider ya'lls stance, I was sitting on my friends Z1000 moments ago, that balanced well and i did tip it and was able to recover it, that is without the engine running.
It's not just the weight (although that will help you a lot). When you are green you will make mistakes that result in acceleration in higher rpm ranges than you intended. You will also be more ham fisted. With a powerful bike it will lunge forward and you might not be able to control it. A smaller bike will be more forgiving in these instances.

If you're a car guy it would be a bit like learning to drive stick with a powerful, high reving na motor. Except you're on two wheels and totally exposed.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #18 of 34 Old 03-19-2015, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
It's not just the weight (although that will help you a lot). When you are green you will make mistakes that result in acceleration in higher rpm ranges than you intended. You will also be more ham fisted. With a powerful bike it will lunge forward and you might not be able to control it. A smaller bike will be more forgiving in these instances.

If you're a car guy it would be a bit like learning to drive stick with a powerful, high reving na motor. Except you're on two wheels and totally exposed.
Thats a good car analogy, I like it, I learned to drive stick in a 2001 Trans Am WS6( that was not stock) in the snow, when my brother came home to sell it, he got in his friends car to take him back to school tossed me the keys and said Drive it, i said i dont know how, he said Learn and left.... thats how i learned to drive a manual It was an excellent experience

post #19 of 34 Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Tesserarius

919's are kind of boring. The upper rpm range is really flat.
You should look at the Triumph speed triple.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
919's are kind of boring. The upper rpm range is really flat.
You should look at the Triumph speed triple.

That's exactly why I like the 919... the power is low enough that you can have fun without tripling the speed limit... I test road a speed triple and it was no fun until well over the speed limit... top end power is fun on the track and pretty much nowhere else (without risking jail time) low end and mid range power like the niner has makes it a perfect bike in my opinion...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #21 of 34 Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Howdy everyone,

... I have never ridden a bike...
This makes me want to say no. If you had previous experience with dirt bikes or something I'd say go for it, but while 0-hero learning I would say no. If you are a statuesque fellow (aka 6'2" or something), I would get a street and trail to learn on. You can get a CRF250L for 4K... They take a beating, make a good first/only bike, and I wish I had one even now just don't have room for one. That being said, if you are strapped for cash, need a one stop shop, and consider yourself EXTREMELY responsible, the 919 at a good price is a great first bike considering it can be tame, but is super capable, and nicely upgradable at the same time.

post #22 of 34 Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post

That's exactly why I like the 919... the power is low enough that you can have fun without tripling the speed limit... I test road a speed triple and it was no fun until well over the speed limit... top end power is fun on the track and pretty much nowhere else (without risking jail time) low end and mid range power like the niner has makes it a perfect bike in my opinion...
I have tons of fun on my Speedy from 0-10 over the speed limit and everywhere in between. I also have a different sprocket on mine that keeps the fun down low. I would definitely not recommend the Speed3 as a first bike though, way to much power, but definitely a great "upgrade" from the 919. Even though I don't have the 919 anymore I still look at the clock every day at 9:19 on accident.

post #23 of 34 Old 03-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Dragon Slayer

I got my dirt bike at age 10 and rode till I was old enough to drive a car. I didn't ride street bikes till age 30. My first bike was a nighthawk 650. I felt it was powerful enough but not too much so. I wanted to get accustomed to all the things going on with street riding. I rarely met other bikes on the trails and 0 cars. Riding in traffic is different and requires constant vigilance. I ride knowing many drivers don't see me or don't care. You need to act quickly and instinctively on occasion to avoid death or injury. Doing so on a bike you can't handle compounds the danger.

post #24 of 34 Old 03-21-2015, 12:51 PM
The Instigator

919 can be a good first bike. It ALL depend on the rider.

post #25 of 34 Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Howdy everyone,

I have never ridden a bike, but right now, I want one...
We can understand your desire to have a bike, we all love the fun they provide, but the 919 is no place to start, IMO.

Go get a 250 or 400, something that'll feel exciting without being too risky, and do all the generic BIKE learning that you need to do before before you add in the power and weight of a 919; stopping, turning, braking for turns, accelerating out of turns are all things that will be new to you.

Go look at RNickey's youtube vids of riders crashing on Mulholland for an idea of how quickly it can go wrong, even when you don't mean it to...

You need to get a whole lot of skills ingrained in you and be responding automatically before you add in the complexity of a 400-plus pound, 100-plus hp machine.

As some on here suggest, it might work out fine for you, but then again, it might not...

post #26 of 34 Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Good user name.

Many people don't want to start on an entry level bike, but it does make the most sense. It would seem like the deal in front of you is so good you have to jump on THAT 919. Another deal on another bike will come along.

If you start on a 2-3 thousand dollar learner bike, once you know the ropes you'll have no trouble selling it for nearly what you paid, you will know more about yourself as a rider and you'll know more about some nuances of motorcycles (suspension, engine configuration, etc).

If you start on a 2-3 thousand dollar learner bike you have more money for gear, gas, and insurance.

If you have to buy a 919- get a set of frame sliders on order and installed immediately.

Last- I think it is flat out inaccurate for an experienced rider to tell a new rider a 919 "can be a bit boring". The 919 has the power to kill you, it is a wheelie machine, capable of touching 150mph.

Most of all, we want you to enjoy the ride and stay in the motorcycle community.

post #27 of 34 Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Left of Centre

Stutz's sense of humour can take a little bit of figuring out...

post #28 of 34 Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Get it!

The 919 is a great start in that:
- It's a versatile utility vehicle, you won't out grow a 919
- Cheap, dropping it isn't a huge deal
- Has a very comfortable up right riding position
- It's not over powered for 919cc's, today's 600s have more horse power and weigh less

Miles are not an issue and the Grey 919 the coolest imo!

My friend Clorox came to me with the same question with regards to his first bike. Same as you he had zero experience. Knowing him as an intelligent sensible person I recommended the 919 and let him ride mine in a parking lot... He dropped it coming to a stand still. He was okay and I had T-Rex sliders so it wasn't an event. He found a 919 in the Dallas craigslist and we road tripped down to pick it up. We began riding with Sena headsets so I could give him immediate feedback on positioning/ posture. Today he is a much more confident/aggressive rider, that's because he knows his limits and rides his own ride.

Just like everyone on a motorcycle we are all learning still. There's always someone faster or slower than you. Take it slow and ask other riders' to follow you and give constructive feedback. Leave ego's out of it and focus on besting yourself, not others. If you think you can ride sensibly for the couple of years I'd say get it.

Here is his progress on the 919
post #29 of 34 Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Here is his progress on the 919
I like those rims

post #30 of 34 Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
I like those rims
I do too! What are they and were they a direct fit?

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #31 of 34 Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Robert

Garage
Personally, I'd look for something in the 5,000+/- mile range. Too many miles for me. Mine's an '02 and had around 1,500 on it.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #32 of 34 Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Discen

The 919 was my 1st bike. I had dirt bike experience and I think the 919 was a great bike for ME to start on.

I still have it and will probably keep it forever.

post #33 of 34 Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
The 919 was my 1st bike. I had dirt bike experience and I think the 919 was a great bike for ME to start on.

I still have it and will probably keep it forever.
Amen to that Brother!! +90000 bumps

post #34 of 34 Old 03-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Robert

Garage
Once I finish my CBR900 rearset mod, buy this one. My equilibrium still hasn't come back enough for me to ride street. Dirt soon but no more street. Well, I don't think so anyway. Fucking stroke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2371_web.jpg (152.4 KB, 12 views)

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode