New Ventura Pack-Rack I got yesterday. Sweet! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

New Ventura Pack-Rack I got yesterday. Sweet!

After I saw a picture of a Ventura Sport Rack, I googled "Ventura Motorcycle Rack" and found their website. They are made in New Zealand. I discovered that the ONLY distributor in the United States is right here in my State, just 50 miles away! I clicked on their website and checked out prices. I had originally wanted the Sport Rack but after seeing the Pack Rack, I felt it was more beneficial for carrying stuff like a back pack (hence the name). I called them and they had them in stock, so I hopped on the bike and rode up there. The rack was only $75 but the mounting kit was a whopping $159! But hey, the rack is worthless without the mounts. It only took a few minutes to install it right there in their parking lot. And those folks are some of the friendliest people I've met in a long time. Very small place, in fact it's just a small office in a business park, and they have a small warehouse in back. No shop.

Here is the new Ventura Pack Rack installed on my bike (I love this one over the RennTec I just ordered because it can face either direction!). If you like this rack, you should check out the others they have! http://www.ventura-mca.com/

NOW apparently I'll end up selling the brand new RennTec rack I just ordered from the only U.S. distributor! I got the last one he had in stock, and paid just over $160 with shipping. What a waste of money since I bought the new (and much cooler) Ventura rack yesterday!

For the few of you who haven't seen the RennTec rack for the 919, this is what it looks like. Only mounts in one direction, but at least you get to keep your stock grab rail.

This is the Ventura Sport-Rack, similar but with vertical bar to stop stuff from sliding...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
The Cripple

yep, the ventura rack is a long time favorite on this forum, and one comes up for sale every once in a while.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

You're in Portland? What a coincidence. I just bought my bike from Honda of St John last month!

The only "issue" I have with the Ventura rack is that there is a cap in the mount that will allow water to get under/inside the tail section. They only include a cheap pair of foam gaskets that don't even stick to plastic! So, I'm going to attempt to make my own gaskets out of rubber. Maybe I'll see if the RennTec spacers work with this rack mount. If they do, I'll use it so I can reuse the grab rail and it's original gasket.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You'll probably lose some of those plastic caps that cover the bolts. Yhey have a tendency to jump out. When you go back to pick up some spares get me some. I need a couple.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
The Cripple

same here, and those caps dont last long to being pryed out either. grab some spares for me as well.

yeah the foam inserts dont work well. you'd think they'd come up with a better solution but apparently not.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Tirone

Anyone know of any luggage racks with a backrest, or just a bolt on backrest? I've been looking around, but haven't really been able to find to much. I know of the corbin seat with the attachable backrest(thanks HJ), but I really dont want to spend that much.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Princeps Prior

Your choice is either the ugly Corbin backrest combo......or a top rack and a top case that has a built in back rest. Either way will set you back.

Personally, I tell the wife to stay home.

Goldwing it is not.......

post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

I'm going to e-mail them pics of my bike with the rack in the morning, so I'll ask about spare plastic caps. They'll probably say they don't have extras because they only have what they are sent. They don't have any kind of shop, just an office and back warehouse. But I'll certainly ask about extras. Mine are super tight, in fact I had to pound them in because they were so snug. If mine come out, I'd be totally shocked.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
The Cripple

ohfour, trust me they'll fall out over time, even more so if you pop em out to take the rack off. it's just a matter of time.

dutchthrone: regarding the backrest, i had a similar issue, and come to find out the ventura rack works well for this. i'm still thinking about how to attach a cushion of sorts to it when i want to. it has a sticker that says its not a backrest, BUT works well so long as your passgener doesnt lean back with their full weight/strength. so work it has worked well with my girlfriend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode