New tyres (US-tires). BT56 a little too ordinary.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Al

New tyres (US-tires). BT56 a little too ordinary..

Even though my 919 has only done 3231 kms, 2008 miles (huh - one mile for each year), I have had a few slides from the standard BT56's and I feel a little less confident than I would like to feel. Three times now the slides have been from the front and quite a few from the rear while leaned reasonably well over mid corner at reasonable speed and throttling on. I could live with the rear slides as it's only to be expected but it's the manner in which these slides occurred which has me a little concerned. When the front slid the first time, it was while flicking from right to left in an S bend going down a steep inlcine. It simply understaired (pushed) into the oncoming corner. Luckily I was in a position to simply respond by using my body to quickly change my lean angle and momentarily let the front brake go while using the rear brake - I could see some lesser condifent riders trying to straighten up and getting into all sorts of trouble, by running wide. The second time, a few miles down the road it was virtually the same thing but I was pushing the bike and just starting to lean into a tight corner when the handlbars suddenly started turning by themselves, telling me the front once again began to lock up. Again I simply let off the brake, then re-applied them, pulling the bike over a bit more than I might normally into the corner. The third time was just the other day on the same strech of road, similar to the second slide.

No real drama's here but I get the very distinct feeling that those front slides especially, where getting very close to the ragged edge. The rear end slides, I can induce almost at will, even though I wouldn't purposely do so, but it feels like you can predict when it would happen. Maybe this is Bridgestone's built-in slip factor and better riders than I can use it to their advantage,, but I must admit that I feel just that little bit insecure in my mind on this rubber and I am one to believe that self confidnence is a huge part of how well you can ride a bike. My brother and I got a great deal on a set of Metzeler M3's so we replaced them yesterday. I have always wanted to try the M3's so I just had to take them. I hope we did the right thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had a set of M3s on the 919 when I bought it. the front was cupped and the rear had about 1k miles left. I didn't know any better so I put 6k miles on a cupped front. Let us know how you like them. I didn't want to take the chance on another set, because of being unhappy originally.

I went with a Road 2 for its life expectancy. Only because I have done about 12,500 miles since April 10

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Tire abuser

I have a Metzeler M1 (the pre-cursor to the M3) on the front of my 919 and I had a rear M1 until recently. I had M3s on a Husaberg Supermoto before that. I really liked all the Metzelers I have tried. Now I have a BT56 on the rear of my 919 and I am having way too many slides and scary moments. The Bridgestone seems to break away with no warning. I have had more skidmarks (in my pants and on the pavement) in 2 months on the Bridgestone than I did in the entire season of Metzeler riding. I think you'll be satisfied.

post #4 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The OEM Bridgestones are crap! Personally, I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's, for their longevity, superlative traction in corners, telegraphic messages they give when breaking away into a slide, and wet manners second to none. I have heard good things about the Metzerers as well, but have never tried them.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

had a nice little parking lot fall thanks to the bridgestone bt56's... nice bruise on my leg.. nice scratches on my new bike... i run michelin pilot powers now... you will fall in love with the 9er again with her having new shoes on... enjoy!!

post #6 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
DaveCB919F4

Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's

post #7 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Ceebee919,

I had a similar question just a short time ago. Alot of these guys posted some super responses.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16090

Really enjoying your posts, by the way.

post #8 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Hastatus Posterior

CeeBee919 I'd be interested to know where this happened. (Maybe PM me?)

Yes, I have felt the same way ever since I got my 919. I just have never felt confident with those tires, especially when cornering hard, you can just feel it not having a good grip (don't know how else to explain it) The rear is coming up for replacement and I am considering a few:

Michelin Pilot Power

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Michelin Pilot Power Road 2

Continental Attack (pretty keen to try these)
http://www.canyonchasers.net/blog/ar...ks-Tested.html

The New Bridgestone BT016
http://www.mynetmoto.com/motorradrei...port_tyre.html

A mate of mine just put the BT016 on the rear and is very happy with it (CBR600RR)

Considerations:
I commute 90% of the time
I go for weekend blasts in the twisties
Auckland is VERY wet!!!

Any suggestions?

post #9 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

whatever robtharalson suggests is gospel...

post #10 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I have Pilot Powers now and am about ready to order a new set.

Anyone running a Pilot Road 2CT on the rear with a Pilot Power on the front? I don't have a wear issue with the front like the rear, I commute a lot, and I just prefer the tread pattern of the Power front tire to the Road 2 front. Can you mix/match tires like that?

I'll most likely just get a front and rear Pilot Power.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #11 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I have Pilot Powers now and am about ready to order a new set.

Anyone running a Pilot Road 2CT on the rear with a Pilot Power on the front? I don't have a wear issue with the front like the rear, I commute a lot, and I just prefer the tread pattern of the Power front tire to the Road 2 front. Can you mix/match tires like that?

I'll most likely just get a front and rear Pilot Power.
thats what i am using.. i have no complaints.. sticky as glue.. and i lean it wayyyyyyyyyyyy over...

post #12 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
thats what i am using.. i have no complaints.. sticky as glue.. and i lean it wayyyyyyyyyyyy over...
What kind of mileage do you get on them? I would like a set, but went with Road 2, because of mileage factor.

post #13 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Anyone try these yet:

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/motor...t/default.page

(Diablo Rosso)

Just got recommended them by my bike shop - apparently exellent feedback from customers

post #14 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
My little michelin man on the very edge of the tire is all but gone. No slips at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
What kind of mileage do you get on them? I would like a set, but went with Road 2, because of mileage factor.
I have personally put about 3,000 miles on my tires. The previous owner said he had them put on about 5,000 miles before I bought it. With that said, I do believe him and think they truly lasted about 8,000 miles.

HOWEVER, when I bought it, the chicken strips were about 2 inches wide and the center was already getting flat. I believe he rode quite conservatively and used it for commuting. I'm guessing my next set will last about 5,000 miles. I would love to be pleasantly surprised though.

My brother-in-law has Dunlop Qualifiers (stock tires) on his '07 600RR. I put about 1,200 miles on them and they seemed to be an alright tire as well. I did not push his bike like I do mine since it was not mine to break. I will tell you that they didn't last him very long. He's just over 4,500 miles and they are showing threads.

post #15 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i have 2000 miles on mine... so far so good...

post #16 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Anyone try these yet:

(Diablo Rosso)

Just got recommended them by my bike shop - apparently exellent feedback from customers
had the pirelli corsas on my cbr1000rr... they worked just peachy.. i would recommend them..

post #17 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Sike

Quote:
Anyone try these yet:

(Diablo Rosso)

I'm getting a set this Friday. A few of the ZX10 guys have tried them hoping for more mileage and really liked them. I won't be able to report back for about 2 weeks though, because the exhaust is getting coated.

However, I have been using Pirelli DCIII's for about a year and a half on my 10 and love them, so the Rosso's made great sense for my 919.

post #18 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Anyone try these yet:

(Diablo Rosso)

I am happy with my Pirelli Rosso front tire, but opted for more miles.

post #19 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM

I have run m3s since last spring (1200 miles). All I try to ride are tight curves. Have about 1/8" strips or 1/2 the elephant left. Takes 3 miles to heat up. 33lbs front/36 rear. Never a hint of a silp and no signs of wear. I like them a lot. I had Q's on my last bike and these m3s on the 9er have given me more confidence. I plan to do a track day at Mid-Ohio this spring to really test them.

post #20 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Tirone

Quote:
:

Michelin Pilot Power

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Michelin Pilot Power Road 2

Continental Attack (pretty keen to try these)
http://www.canyonchasers.net/blog/ar...ks-Tested.html

Considerations:
I commute 90% of the time
I go for weekend blasts in the twisties
Auckland is VERY wet!!!

Any suggestions?
hey Farab,
I'm running conti road attacks on mine.
doing pretty much the same 90/10 split as you.
I've done about 2500ks on em so far,very minimal wear just losing the writing on the back.
love them in the dry,no chicken strips on the back tyre now..
a little left on the front... (need to work on that)
not to bad in the wet , just need to avoid the shiny slippery as **** wet seal
maybe need to warm them up some more before riding hard in the rain.

when these wear out (prob in about another 10000+ks)
theres a shet load of tread on em.
i'll try the sport attack.

oh i had a pilot sport on it before the contis,only lasted 4000ks bloody awesum grip
not a good life span tho.

post #21 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Al

When we were thinking of replacing the BT56's, Michelins did pop into the discussion but I have had a long standing distrust of them.
Why...???
It started about 20 years ago when I first tried a set (can't remember which ones though) but all I can remember is one day at about the half worn mark, they began letting go, just out of the blue. I am sure I got thrown onto the road one time by them, and from then onwards they just changed their characteristics, almost as if I had a different tyre on. I never really gave it another thought and just kept using them but noticed they would give hair-raising slides (actually,, not slides but just letting go completely), almost throwing the bike sideways at the most critical moments in corners. Of course, I would simply interpret this as a warning to slow down a bit. A couple of bikes later I tried another set, a newer model of Michelin tyre,, which did exactly the same thing - half worn and whammm,, away they went again. Again, I loved my Miche's so I rode accordingly. Then another set later it happened yet again at or near the half worn mark. This time I begain thinking about it. Heading into the 90's, I had an earlier Suzi GSXR750 K model and nearly dumped it big time with a set of them. This was the last set I ever went near, as this "almost lose" scared the sh*t from between my cheeks.

Mid 90's, I had a break from bikes for about 13 years and got back on them in 2006, VTR-1000, and started asking about Michilens. As you would guess, I got answers from those who loved 'em and those who didn't love 'em. The thing that stuck in my mind was the amount of people who said they get about half worn and begin to change habbits... I couldn't believe I was hearing the same old "same old" if you get my drift (no pun intended). Even a great friend of mine who uses nothing but Miche's inadvertantly lets it slip every now and then that he gets more and more slips and slides as they go into the second half of their life, yet to him, Michelin is all that exists.

Maybe it's just time to forget the past and move on as I am sure technology within Michelin (and all other tyre manufacturers) has got better out of sight,, and that ALL tyres actually change as they wear BUT I just cannot help but get a chill down my spine when the big M is mentioned. I am sure they stick like the proverbial to a blanket but have any of you experienced any of the mid-life crisis I have heard of and experienced first hand...??? You can get some real good deal with Miche's at times, yet I look the other way in fear...

post #22 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
When we were thinking of replacing the BT56's, Michelins did pop into the discussion but I have had a long standing distrust of them.
Why...???
It started about 20 years ago when I first tried a set (can't remember which ones though) but all I can remember is one day at about the half worn mark, they began letting go, just out of the blue. .... Maybe it's just time to forget the past and move on as I am sure technology within Michelin (and all other tyre manufacturers) has got better out of sight,, and that ALL tyres actually change as they wear BUT I just cannot help but get a chill down my spine when the big M is mentioned. I am sure they stick like the proverbial to a blanket but have any of you experienced any of the mid-life crisis I have heard of and experienced first hand...??? You can get some real good deal with Miche's at times, yet I look the other way in fear...
Obviously, if you don't trust a tyre or a brand of tyre then you shouldn't use it.

I'll never argue against a buying decision based on long experience, and since there are many good tyres on the market to choose from at the moment it is relatively easy to match your requirements to a brand -- lots of feedback from lots of riders helps, and brother do you have that here!

Having said that, I must add that since starting on Michelin M59's in 1988 on a Hawk GT (or Bros as they were called in Europe), then the M89's (not as good a tyre as the 59's), and on to the Pilot Roads, the characteristic that I most liked about them was their consistency: if they didn't do something yesterday then they wouldn't do it today, and in point of fact they seemed to get better as they wore. That's over twenty years, many tyres, and 200,000 miles of canyon carving, commuting, and touring.

Hmmmm ... as I was writing this, it occurred to me that most of my racing experience was on lightweights: 250 production, 250 GP, endurance racing KZ/GPZ 550 and 750's, etcetera, and little in the way of hyperhorsepower firebreathers. The 919 is by far the most powerful motorcycle I've ever owned, though not the most powerful I've ridden by far, and I ride it like it was a lightweight: agressive corner entrances, holding as much speed through corners as I can, but not smoking the tires on exits, so maybe I'm not putting enough heat into the tire to break it down and cause the "mid life crisis" CeeBee describes. Judge what I say in that context and decide if it is applicable to your riding style when making a decision about tyres.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #23 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Obviously, if you don't trust a tyre or a brand of tyre then you shouldn't use it.

Rob
Every motorcycle forum that exists has the tire discussion about once a week or more. The funny part is that those of us who have been riding for 30+ years can tell everyone that modern tires are almost all better than anything in the 70's, 80's, and most everything in the 90's (meaning our current "worst" is better than that era's best). That said, I think it would be really hard to go wrong with anything coming from Michelin or Pirelli, and probably Conti, too. Like Cee Bee, I'm not a Michelin fan, but that was based upon a recall I felt I was cheated on. I had the PR 2CT's on my Ducati and they were fabulous tires (maybe the best rain tires I have ever ridden, and I ride often in the rain). So, pretty good chance that it is hard to go wrong nowadays.

post #24 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

The only think I find shaky at all about my Michelin tires is the line that runs the entire way around each front and rear tire. It almost looks like the tire was put together in a two piece mold that was joined just off-center. This line is almost perfectly straight the long way around the tire just to the left of center (maybe an inch). Does anyone else have this sort of line/groove in their tires? Know what it is? I don't.

post #25 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
919 City Pilot

Loved my BT56's

Been on Perrelli Diablos since then........

post #26 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
The only think I find shaky at all about my Michelin tires is the line that runs the entire way around each front and rear tire. It almost looks like the tire was put together in a two piece mold that was joined just off-center. This line is almost perfectly straight the long way around the tire just to the left of center (maybe an inch). Does anyone else have this sort of line/groove in their tires? Know what it is? I don't.
i think thats where the center .. harder compound meets the softer sticky side compound... i notice sometimes i see the line and sometimes i don't...

i was hesitant at fiirst when i put the pilot powers on my bike.. i had used pirellis on my cbr1000 and was really happy with them.. but on the morning i had my little parking lot exercise (fell down went boom) i WANTED different tires on that bike before i went home.. the only thing we had in the parts department was michelins and several of my coworkers (all riders) said the pilot powers were good.. i put them on and i must say they are as good or better than the pirellis were and i have no complaints.. i will never run bridgestones again.. if they are on a bike i am going to buy .. a new set of tires will be worked into the deal..

post #27 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Sike

Quote:
If they are a multiple compound tire, then I would say it isn't that unusual. I've had 4 sets of multiple compound tires (2 Michelin, 2 Pirelli) and 2 out of 4 you could see the "line" between the compounds. And, I haven't had any problems related to this (and the most recent set I could see this on had a trackday after this was already visible).

post #28 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
When I first started with the M59's I noticed the line you are referring to after only a couple thousand miles of riding, and it worried me. 11,000 miles later it was still there and it didn't worry me at all. Practically every one I've run since, including the 2CT's, have it as well, and no problems at all. It is not the joint line between the compounds (which you can see as a difference in the surface texture of the rubber if the light is just right), it doesn't seem to affect the wear or traction, and has no other down side, I refuse to worry about it. Remember I've been seeing that line for over 200,000 trouble free miles.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #29 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Tesserarius

I've got that line, and they are just regular Pilot Powers. WTF?

post #30 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
I've got that line, and they are just regular Pilot Powers. WTF?
Me too.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #31 of 32 Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Went into another bike shop roday that also fits Michelin. Mechanic actually recommended against them! Also confirmed the story of them changing characteristics after about 50% of wear. Reckons Michelin is over rated.

Told him I commute 4 to 5 days a week as well as very spirited twistie riding on weekends.
He recommended the (slightly cheaper) Metzelers: Z6 or M3.
After I said I'd be happy with 8 to 10K km's (6000miles) he said go for the M3, more stickier, although he reckons the Z6 is excellent in the wet and has sold truckloads...

I get the idea that Metzeler is an under rated (and slightly cheaper than Michelin) tire..

post #32 of 32 Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Went into another bike shop roday that also fits Michelin. Mechanic actually recommended against them! Also confirmed the story of them changing characteristics after about 50% of wear. Reckons Michelin is over rated.

Told him I commute 4 to 5 days a week as well as very spirited twistie riding on weekends.
He recommended the (slightly cheaper) Metzelers: Z6 or M3.
After I said I'd be happy with 8 to 10K km's (6000miles) he said go for the M3, more stickier, although he reckons the Z6 is excellent in the wet and has sold truckloads...

I get the idea that Metzeler is an under rated (and slightly cheaper than Michelin) tire..

i don't know anything about "changing characteristics after 50% wear... maybe he has more markup on the metzlers...

then again they are good tires also..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode