New to the 919, and a question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Discen

New to the 919, and a question

I just picked up an 04 919 in Uranium Green , It didn't come with a manual as the first owner must have taken it out and didn't put it back (I'm the third owner). and I love this bike!

Anyways back to my question, It's about the fuel light. I find that it comes on alittle early?, On mine it seems to come on and stay on, so I head to the gas station and It only takes 12-13 litres (out of 18 as you guys know). So my question is does the light start flashing when you get closer to the 1-2 litres mark? or something, The light turning on with 8 litres of fuel left just seems alittle misleading to me, or is that the when these bikes work?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

They do come on early..........I always stop its better than pushing.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

seems to come on at around 3.8 gallons used for me. supposed to come on at 4 gallons used, but i had it come on the other day and rode 30 miles on the tank and only put in 4.25 gallons.

My suggestion is to figure out your typical gas mileage and when the light comes on figure you have around that far to go until you need gas. I normally stop around 170 miles per tank.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I had to grab my calculator as soon as you kept saying "liters". They all seem to come on at around the 4/5ths level.

Oh yeah,welcome aboard.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Welcome aboard. That is the usaul for the niner.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Discen

thanks guys, happy to be aboard

post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Tirone

the low-fuel sensor is suspended on a piece of stiff wire that is attached to the fuel pump (which is mounted inside the tank). the piece of wire is kind of like coathanger material.

the point at which your low-fuel light comes on is determined by the position of the low fuel sensor. and it is easy to bend this wire, moving the low fuel sensor (and changing the point at which the low-fuel light comes on).

i learned this while moving my fuel pump from one fuel tank to another. getting the pump mounted to the tank requires feeding the sensor and its mount into the tank... it is very easy to bump the sensor/mount against a part of the tank, which could certainly move it.

if your fuel pump has been removed/replaced, the sensor was probably bumped/moved. furthermore, i think it is very likely that the sensor on any 919 was bumped/moved when it was installed at the factory, which would explain why many folks have posted here about low-fuel light inconsistencies between bikes.

in either case, the low-fuel light should come on at the same point every time on a specific 919 - so just figure out when yours comes on, and react accordingly.

if you really want to move the sensor to change the point at which your low fuel light comes on, you'll probably need to remove the tank and fuel pump (and replace the fuel pump gasket). you may be able to tweak the sensor location through the filler, but i can't see it through there - it would be challenging.

...j919

post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Aquilifer

"new to the bike"

as resident curmudgeon, that's like hearing "fresh fish!" aka, equivalent to chumming my waters.

but, i deleted my crusty statement about petcocks, "the good old days", and "why don't you get in the habit of resetting the trip odo when you fuel and checking it before you ride".

good thing i deleted them, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode