new to site and have a few questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Immune

new to site and have a few questions

Hello everyone. First off, this site is great. I have already been able to get a lot of good info on my bike, such as what windscreen to buy.

I have a 02 919 that has been great for the 4 months I've had it. It has 21k miles on it, but from what I understand these are pretty durable machines. Anything thing specific about this bike that I should be keeping an eye on with the miles that the bike has?

My front brake lever is not activating the brake light. I hear a click for the switch being activated, but am not sure how to diagnose this problem. Any tips would be appreciated.

Am riding to San Luis Obispo, CA for a weekend of riding soon. Anyone from that area that could recommend a few good rides in that area?

here is a pic of the bike. any and all mods were done by the previous owner, but I like most of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919pic1.jpg (283.3 KB, 83 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

First, welcome to WT!!

I went to Cal Poly SLO in the early 80s. I used to ride my Yamaha RD400 Daytona everywhere while attending college. Best thing to do is stop by a local bike shop and get their input on specific areas. Other than that, there's a lot of country riding in that area.

As far as your front brake actuating the brake light. . .try pushing in the wire connectors at the lever, making sure they're securely connected. One way to see if the wires are working is to bypass the lever's switch. To do this you'll need to pull out the connectors at the lever and connect the two loose wires with a piece of wire. This should activate the brake light. If not, there's a break some where. I'm assuming that the rear brake pedal is actuating the brake light. If the pedal isn't activating the light, then it could be the fuse.

post #3 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome lmtdgov. You found a great site for the 919.

post #4 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Al

Welcome 'lmtdgov', this is a great site indeed. Great site, great info, great help and most important, great people. I've been a member for just on 6 months now and loved every second of it... Sorry I can't really help with the brake switch but I hope you sort it out soon... If you are electronically minded, you should pull of the wires and test to see if power is actually getting to the switch. Fault finding always demands that you check the obvious first...

post #5 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Thanks for the replies. I do agree, this site is great. I'm already staying up way too late bc there is so much good info on the 919!

I hope to tinker with the brake light tomorrow evening so will check out those wires and post how it goes. The rear brake does activate the brake light thankfully.

post #6 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Howdy. Use 9nineteen's advice since the rear brake is triggering the lights. That's the first check. I knocked one of the wires off one time while washing the bike. My pre-ride walkaround proved useful once again.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome aboard! You've stumbled into a great place here with a ton of information on the 919, and riders of all kinds of bikes. Pull up a chair and stay a while, when you're not out riding!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Lot of good information in the 919 Helpful Topics. Be careful, the mod. bug bites hard!

Welcome aboard

post #9 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Immune

turns out the two wires were the place to check out. One of the metal tabs looked slightly corroded and was broken. Looks like I'll have to buy a new piece that has the two metal tabs on it.

Thankfully my lack of money will keep the mod bug at bay. But I'm having a ton of fun with the bike as it is.

post #10 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Immune

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...f-2002/o/m2014

So it looks like I need part number 1 in the Fr. Brake Master schematic. It's hard to tell for sure, because I can't get the picture to exapnd to see it more clearly.

post #11 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome to WT...Looks like your on the right track...Hope you get it fixed up ok

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #12 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You are correct, part #1 is what you should need. Also, there are similar clutch connections on that lever which can cause your 919 not to start under some circumstances - just so you know...

Have fun on the site!

1: SWITCH, FR. STOP 155444-001

post #13 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

welcome. Its time to get rid of that CA smog can under the swingarm.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #14 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtdgov View Post
Hello everyone.

Am riding to San Luis Obispo, CA for a weekend of riding soon. Anyone from that area that could recommend a few good rides in that area?
If your route takes you past Calabasas or Malibu drop me a line and we can meet for a quick guided tour of some of the roads in my neck of the woods. Past that, pick up the 154 (San Marcos Pass road) starting in Santa Barbara, that takes you to Solvang (via the 246) by the back way. Once back on the 101, I recommend taking the 227 (Carpenter Canyon road) from Arroyo Grande through some wonderful farm / vineyard / ranch land and drops you into San Luis Obispo. Once there, look for Hwy 1 to the coast, then the 41 (Atascadero / Morro road) for some more coast / mountain scenery. The point is if you have a map of the area you could spend days soaking up the scenery (as I have) and will fill many memory cards with pictures.

Rob (805) 807 9671

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #15 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
rider

So Rob, you ever hang out at Neptune's Net?

post #16 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
welcome. Its time to get rid of that CA smog can under the swingarm.
Can the smog canister simply be removed, or are there hoses that need rerouting? I'll be bolting on a centerstand this weekend, and that sucker needs to go.

post #17 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

welcome... in my opinion the first thing i would do is change the oil and get that fram filter off that bike... and nice bike by the way..

post #18 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Welcome, and enjoy your 919!

Suggested roads in the vicinity of SLO, from Pashnit.com:
  • Highway 25 - Hollister to Hwy 198 (I've enjoyed this one, watch for turkeys and wild pigs)
  • Carmel Valley Rd - Monterey
  • Panoche Road - Hwy 25 to I-5
  • Los Gatos - Coalinga Rd - Hwy 25 to Hwy 198
  • Highway 198 - Coalinga to King City Irish Hill Rd King City
  • Highway G14 - Paso Robles to King City
  • Nacimiento Road - Fort Hunter Leggett
  • Peachtree-Indian Valley Rd
  • Santa Rosa Creek - Cambria,
  • Bitterwater Rd - Cholame, Lateral G: Highway 229
  • Highway 229 – Creston
  • Pozo Rd - Park Hill - Las Pilitas – seriously tight and goaty
  • Black Mountain Rd - Pozo
  • Highway 58 - Santa Margarita to Taft

post #19 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

lmtdgov,

I joined this site myself a couple of weeks ago and it is truly amazing. I bought my 03 919 in June and was truly blessed in that the previous owner kept meticulous maintenance records, which he included along with the Honda shop manual.

I highly recommend the shop manual. The pictures stink, but the explanatory material is actual helpful as opposed to the Chilton's manual for my truck which describes a brake job as "Jack up truck, remove wheel, remove caliper, replace pads, installation is reverse of removal. Don't ask questions."

The Honda manual also has the greatest explanation ever in its legend for symbols used in the text. For the DANGER symbol: (and I quote): "You WILL be KILLED..."

Don't get too many KILLED references in shop manuals these days. Damn political correctness I suppose.

post #20 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Nemo, the vapor cannister comes right off, you'll need a vacume cap to plug the tee connection up by the throttle bodies and the vent line from the tank gets bundled with the other vent/drain hoses hanging down by the right side peg.
I removed the solenoid and bracket also and "bagged" the electrical connector for the solenoid.
Carmel Valley road is my "clear the cobwebs" ride, it's a lot of fun.

Dan

post #21 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Can the smog canister simply be removed, or are there hoses that need rerouting? I'll be bolting on a centerstand this weekend, and that sucker needs to go.
Removing it is pretty simple. The small hose attached to the center of the canister on the right side is the vent line from the tank and must not be plugged. I recommend putting some sort of filter on it and placing the end in an area that absolutely will not allow water to be pulled up into the hose / tank. The large hose from the solenoid valve to the right side of the canister can be removed, but the other hose from the intake must be securely plugged -- if it leaks vacuum the engine will run horribly, if at all. The hose on the left side is an atmospheric vent, and should be plugged just to make sure it doesn't let air or water into someplace you don't want it.

I don't know if removing the solenoid valve will cause an ECU failure code, but if it does it will have to be left on the bike somewhere, or the resistance of the coil duplicated with a suitable resistor.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #22 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger919er View Post
There is a little more to it than just pulling the can off. I got this great set of instructions from another site...

California Model Evap Canister Removal

On the Cali 919 the canister is bolted on through the center stand bracket and must be removed to add a center stand. Removing it will not affect performance except for a couple pounds of weight reduction. The canister is worth $200 new and should be kept in case CA starts inspecting bikes.

There's a diagram of the fuel system on a sticker under the gas tank. The hoses attached to the canister are labeled with tiny print #1 through #4. On the right underside, there are three cable-tied drain hoses.

1. Pull out large hose #2 and feed back through to the left side of the bike where it enters the canister.

2. Detach #1 from the canister and run through the cable tie to drain with the other hoses. It's the gas tank vent and must not be plugged. The paranoid may wish to eliminate all possibility of water getting in.

3. Detach #4 from the canister and run it through the cable tie to drain with the other hoses. Detach the other side of #4 from the rear of the Purge Control Valve (PCV) on the left side of the bike, and cable-tie it out of the way.

4. Cover the exposed nipple on the PCV tightly with a 5/16" dia. x 3/4" long vacuum cap (Kragen's).
I know voodoorider has done this, I am reluctant to do it because of gas vapors. (attached garage). I also read about some tanks that got sucked in possible vacume problem, or maybe #1 hose was plugged tight.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #23 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Mine's been off for about 1000 miles now with no adverse effects, I pulled the solenoid and the computer doesn't seem to notice (no codes) and I haven't had the tank implode yet and the gas cap opens every time.
I haven't seen any reason to keep the cannister other than to protect mothership Earth. I considered pulling the four vacume lines off the throttle bodies and plugging them at the source but I couldn't get my hands down in that tiny space.
It took me three years of agonizing over removing it but it only took 15min to do it.

Dan

post #24 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks for the feedback Dan
Your da man

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #25 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

No problemo
Dan

post #26 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:48 PM
MAM Customs

Hello and welcome. Like the pic of the bike.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #27 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Sorry about the threadjack, Welcome aboard, you've probably noticed theres no shortage of people willing to help out here

Dan

post #28 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
welcome... in my opinion the first thing i would do is change the oil and get that fram filter off that bike... and nice bike by the way..
I cringed when I saw that Fram!

post #29 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Brake lever switch has been ordered for $16 from fun bike center in SD. Should have it tuesday. It has kind of been a good thing having it not work, because it has forced me to get in a good habit of using both brakes.

The fram will be gone as soon as I do the first oil change...which is almost due. Time to do a search about what oil to use. I've always avoided fram with my cars and wasn't pleased to see it on the bike either.

Thanks for all the suggested routes. There are so many on the map and I only have so much time to ride I want to make the most of it.

Rob, I may hit you up on my way through town.

What are the benefits of removing the canister? More performance I imagine? The bike has plenty of pep for me right now and I'm always worried about messing around with exhaust unless I am ready to check air/fuel ratios and all that as well. I'm kind of new to modding bikes, but with cars adding high flow exhaust and intakes often causes the car to run lean. What's the 919's tendancy when stock?

post #30 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

This might help: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...light=solenoid

Oh, and welcome.

post #31 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggested routes. There are so many on the map and I only have so much time to ride I want to make the most of it.

Rob, I may hit you up on my way through town.
Cool. Just give me a day's warning.
Quote:
What are the benefits of removing the canister? More performance I imagine? The bike has plenty of pep for me right now and I'm always worried about messing around with exhaust unless I am ready to check air/fuel ratios and all that as well. I'm kind of new to modding bikes, but with cars adding high flow exhaust and intakes often causes the car to run lean. What's the 919's tendancy when stock?
Despite the fact that many on this and other forums act as if it is the spawn of Lucifer, there are no performance benefits to removing the charcoal canister whatsoever. It relates to evaporative emissions only and has no effect on any other system. Oh, there may be a tiny benefit to lightening the bike by a couple pounds, but any weight removed will shift the C.G. upward, as it is all well below it.
While there is no discernable benefit to removing it, there are two reasons for leaving it right where it is. First, it does reduce emissions of raw hydrocarbons by a substantial amount by trapping fuel vapors vented from the tank and returning them to the engine to be used as fuel. Second, and more importantly from a longevity point of view, it almost absolutely precludes the possibility of water vapor getting into the fuel tank by interposing a very effective filter between the tank and the atmosphere.
As Nemo pointed out it does bolt on where the center stand would go, so if you want a stand it will have to be removed, but other than that there is no good reason to do so.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #32 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Rob, you are a wealth of resources. I think I'll leave the can on for now since the bike seems to be working just fine.

I'm kind of thinking I'll be coming through your area on Friday. I may even head up thursday night (12/4/08) and crash at my gramma's in encino, which would give me more riding time on friday. The whole trip to SLO will depend on the weather so I'll let you know a few days in advance if I'll be coming through town.

btw, do you have an muffler on the other side of your bike that is not seen in the picture or are you running straight pipes?

post #33 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

He's running MotoGP race pipe; not street legal though.

post #34 of 38 Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
If your route takes you past Calabasas or Malibu drop me a line and we can meet for a quick guided tour of some of the roads in my neck of the woods. Past that, pick up the 154 (San Marcos Pass road) starting in Santa Barbara, that takes you to Solvang (via the 246) by the back way. Once back on the 101, I recommend taking the 227 (Carpenter Canyon road) from Arroyo Grande through some wonderful farm / vineyard / ranch land and drops you into San Luis Obispo. Once there, look for Hwy 1 to the coast, then the 41 (Atascadero / Morro road) for some more coast / mountain scenery. The point is if you have a map of the area you could spend days soaking up the scenery (as I have) and will fill many memory cards with pictures.

Rob (805) 807 9671
I've heard of 154. Actually I think I saw it on that kpbs show with Hew Housner. Looks like a fun road. I think I'll hit that up and 227 like you suggest. On the way back I'm looking at 166 to 33 which would drop me back into the greater LA area. Anyone familiar with those roads?

post #35 of 38 Old 11-29-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
He's running MotoGP race pipe; not street legal though.
I read through most of the link that had all the brainstorming and phot shop images of the bike. The 919 seems to be a great platform to play with.

For me, I'm having a ton of fun with it as it is. I suppose with a little more time I'll be looking for more power and a different look. Actually I'm already thinking of new bars.

post #36 of 38 Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Guys, thanks for all the threadjack guidance on removing the charcoal canister. I'll be sure to find ways to prevent anything from getting up into the fuel vent line.

And lmtdgov, I've ridden and thoroughly enjoyed Hwy 33 (and 166, but that was getting chipsealed when I rode it, which decreased the enjoyment), but I rode it from south to north (which would seem to be the slightly more entertaining direction--all lovely, though). 33 passes through a quite remote region of the Los Padres National forest--lots of tight twistiness and great views over the chaparral canyons, and 60 miles between gas stations, so fill up. Watch for gravel/rocks and occasionally ice in winter on blind turns. Fun short tunnels, too. There are a couple of sandwich places near the summit. Boccali's on Hwy 150 (which connects Ojai to Santa Paula and hits Hwy 126, which takes you east towards LA) coming out of Ojai is worth waiting for in terms of food, though, if your timing works out that way.

166 and the northern part of 33 are pretty flat and straight--oilfield country. The western section of 166 gets curvy and canyon-y, though, but by Cuyama it's flaaat.

post #37 of 38 Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Rob, you are a wealth of resources. I think I'll leave the can on for now since the bike seems to be working just fine.

I'm kind of thinking I'll be coming through your area on Friday. I may even head up thursday night (12/4/08) and crash at my gramma's in encino, which would give me more riding time on friday. The whole trip to SLO will depend on the weather so I'll let you know a few days in advance if I'll be coming through town.
Cool. I'm free Friday until 1:00, which gives plenty of time for as long or short a ride as you want. I've talked with Big Irving, and it seems he didn't have anything specific in mind for the weather, so hopefully it'll be perfect for the weekend.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #38 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Welcome Imtdgov!! I sure would like to ride some of those cool scenic roads waaaaaaay over there you lucky rascal.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode