New (to me) 919, couple small issues - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sundevil36

post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New (to me) 919, couple small issues

Hey all! been lurking here for a while, but now that I've found my budget 919 I expect to be more active! picked this one up in SF for $1200. ~43k miles, no obvious oil leaks, has been tipped over a couple times as evidenced by the dented tank on the left, and bent brake lever on the right. According to the PO, never dropped at any speed, and so far it seems like that is accurate.

The first issue I ran into was the speedo; does not register speed or odo increase. An FI light came on about halfway home from SF. Once stopped I put the kickstand down and got the equivalent of 11 blinks (one long, one short)= Speed sensor. pulled the cover off and the cable looks to be in decent shape, so the sensor itself may be at fault. the gauges do cycle on ignition switch to "on". Bought new sensor off partzilla, and will hopefully get that installed this weekend with a big thanks to the definitive guide to replacing the speed sensor found on this forum!

Second issue: in the process of removing the airbox cover to get to the speed sensor, I noticed some oil at the lip of the connection between the cover and the inside of the airbox. I will update with pics this evening. Is oil at this spot normal?

Third issue (minor): at least, I think it's minor. The gear shift lever might be seeping a tiny bit of oil, as the arm that goes into the transmission is caked in what looks like wet road grime. I will clean it up and take some before and after pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 AM
919 Rider

Welcome to the forum.
Not to sure where you found that airbox oil, pics would help. It's normal to get some oily deposit in the airbox. There is a breather from the valve cover venting into the airbox. The underside of the airbox has a short drain tube that can be emptied.
Regarding the suspected oil leak from the gear selector shaft seal make sure its not fling off from the chain and front sprocket.

post #3 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here are some photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A140CB31-3355-4ACD-887F-4ADFA9BDF77D_1558914034059.jpg (148.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AE30A719-6245-41DE-BEC6-012EABEEA6C2_1558914064972.jpg (133.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 75945284-5CDC-4C4B-8B92-BB17D284C9E4_1558914094475.jpg (150.9 KB, 12 views)

post #4 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 05:05 PM
919 Rider

Nothing to worry about. Here goes my interpretation of photos.
K&N air filter has had too much oil put on it. Bet the fella that sold it to you recently cleaned it. IMO you should fling that K&N air filter and put in a OEM air filter.
The suspected gear shift shaft seal leak is nothing more than chain lube that's been flung off. Give it all a good clean, chain, behind front sprocket cover, everything. Only very lightly lube your chain to reduce fling off and monitor the situation. I'm sure it's all fine.

post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you for your input! I finally got all my parts and tools in the mail, mac tool for the speed sensor included. I will be tackling these replacements in the next few days.

Another thing I noticed yesterday: It was very hot outside, but I had to ride across town from where I work for a Dr.'s appt. I stopped by my house to switch from a tank bag to a small backpack as its on the way to the Doc's office. I went back to the bike after about 2 mins, and as I was riding away from the house, I felt like I could feel some shake right under my butt at low RPM! At first. I thought maybe it was a rough patch of road or something, but it seemed to continue along a stretch of road that was otherwise flat and in decent condition. Anybody else ever felt a rumble in similar conditions?

post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil36 View Post
Thank you for your input! I finally got all my parts and tools in the mail, mac tool for the speed sensor included. I will be tackling these replacements in the next few days.

Another thing I noticed yesterday: It was very hot outside, but I had to ride across town from where I work for a Dr.'s appt. I stopped by my house to switch from a tank bag to a small backpack as its on the way to the Doc's office. I went back to the bike after about 2 mins, and as I was riding away from the house, I felt like I could feel some shake right under my butt at low RPM! At first. I thought maybe it was a rough patch of road or something, but it seemed to continue along a stretch of road that was otherwise flat and in decent condition. Anybody else ever felt a rumble in similar conditions?
I had a distinct "click / clack" when I hit a 1/2" curb thing going into a parking lot. I got new tires and most of that went away. I just did a new chain and dug into the rear and found no problems (none that I could see).

I have no idea how a new tire could have caused that, but I suspect wheel bearings and there was a funny noise when I was testing out the new chain on the stand. It came from the rear, then went away.

I put 100+ miles since then and no problems.

Point: I'd check your tires and balance. A tire over 5 years won't be mounted by most shops. My tires were 12 and 10 years old.

First look at the tires and find that thread about putting the suspension back to stock settings. I think the rear shock is 1/2 way on preload and 1.5 turns for rebound. Look at the shock bolts for damage or loose.

You'll need a center stand or wheel lift sooner or later, Harbor Freight has one that I got and with the 20% coupon is about $30.

Lube, adjust and check the wear of the chain.

I just posted a few threads about my chain. I was so worn that you could fit a screwdriver UNDER the chain while it was on the rear sprocket.

Grab your chain at the 3:00 position and pull as hard as you can, this tells you the wear. You can also check for stiff links and alignment. I've had a tough time keeping the chain tight, so I have to adjust over and over again.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-06-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update: last night I was wrenching till about midnight and got the speed sensor replaced! my gauges are now counting miles on odo and trip. Thank you Mr. B for that awesome guide to replacement! also swapped the air filter out for the hiflo, and it seems very smooth overall. just an oil change and coolant flush left to go!
KarlJay likes this.

post #8 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Angry sundevil36

Ok, so new issue presented itself yesterday. It's getting hot out here, around 103* yesterday. I rode home from work, about 12 mins, stopped at the house for bit, then had to leave again for an appointment. On the way back from the appt, and TWICE on the same stretch of road, I came to a stop at a red light and the 9er sputtered out and died on me. no FI light blinking, and started up again on the next attempt. Neither was the low fuel light on. I did go straight to the gas station thinking maybe the light was just not coming on but I was empty. It *felt* like maybe the clutch wasn't being let all the way out causing a stall. any ideas?

Thanks again all, you've helped me more than I can say!

post #9 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ok so the oil in the airbox, I've had the same thing. Still not quite sure what exactly causes it, but since I've cleaned it out last time it's been clean. There's a little tube at the bottom of the airbox that is designed specifically to drain that crap. Pull the filter and you'll probably see more oil in there. I just used some syringes to suck it all out and then wiped it down. I doubt it's from the filter.

As for the low rpm rattle, if you're lugging the motor, it'll do that. Otherwise idk.

As for the fuel issue, I think I've seen this more than a few times across some 919s. Seems like something with the fuel pickup gets wonky where when you've got less than half a tank left, the fuel cuts out after you brake and come to a stop. My bike used to die out coming to stops when I had about 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank. It just went away on its own. You said "I did go straight to the gas station thinking maybe the light was just not coming on but I was empty." That sounds like you answered your question.

If the clutch was dragging, I think the EFI would forcibly keep the bike running so I don't think a clutch drag would make you stall unless it was severe, and at that point there'd be no doubting it. If it is dragging a bit you'd notice it's kind of hard to get the bike into neutral or do any gear changing at a stop with the clutch pulled in all the way.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM
919 Rider

Was your bike tank empty?

post #11 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
You said "I did go straight to the gas station thinking maybe the light was just not coming on but I was empty." That sounds like you answered your question.
Sorry, should have specified that I was on the lower side, but possibly not enough to trigger the low fuel indicator. And doubtfully low enough to stall out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
If it is dragging a bit you'd notice it's kind of hard to get the bike into neutral or do any gear changing at a stop with the clutch pulled in all the way.
Unfortunately I did not think of trying to switch gears at all when it happened, if/when it does I will test and update. My mind went to the heat making the cable housing malleable, binding up the movement of the clutch cable.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM
919 Rider

Be worthwhile checking your FPR just to rule out it failing. When it fails it dumps excess fuel into cylinders 2 and 3. This could explain some of your symptoms.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Be worthwhile checking your FPR just to rule out it failing. When it fails it dumps excess fuel into cylinders 2 and 3. This could explain some of your symptoms.
After some searching I found this thread: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...top-80075.html

Seems like similar issues. I am not sure if the fuel pump that is in the bike now is aftermarket or not, but I may be on the hunt for both the pump and the FPR just to be safe.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 04:20 PM
919 Rider

If your going to be diving into your tank to check/sort things out might as well replace the in-tank fuel filter while your at it.
Do you think your battery is OK?

post #15 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
If your going to be diving into your tank to check/sort things out might as well replace the in-tank fuel filter while your at it.
Do you think your battery is OK?
Yes I think the battery is doing alright. I'll check it but it sounds very strong on start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode