Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

New (to me) 919 - exhaust too loud!

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  rufftup 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, total newb here. Probably posting in the wrong place or some other egregious error, and if that’s the case, please let me know.

Just purchased a 2004 919 yesterday, and I like the bike, but it’s WAY too loud. It has a Sato Racing exhaust installed, and this thing SCREAMS. Granted, I’m not the typical rider - the exhaust sound is one of the last things I look for in a bike. In fact, I’m generally annoyed by loud bikes. I’m an old fuddy-duddy, I can’t change that.

Now I need some help from the experts here. I want to put a stock exhaust back on, or make this one as quiet as stock, or quieter, if that’s even a thing. I checked Revzilla, and they have quiet baffles, but none that say work for a Sato, and no way to know how quiet it would be without a bunch of trial and error. Also, new stock mufflers would cost about half what I paid for the bike, so that’s out. I’m not concerned about performance as this bike is already stretching the limits of what I can handle. That said, I don’t want to do anything that would affect reliability.

Is there a product out there that someone has actually used to solve this problem? Does anyone know of a place where I should look for someone to buy or trade stock pipes? Is this that place? I know nothing.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sure someone here would be more than willing to trade their stock for your Satos, especially if they are in good condition. That said, if you are willing to do a little work, repacking them might help; I've heard they can get very harsh when the packing gets worn out. I've never had them, so can't really help beyond that.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Hello everyone, total newb here. Probably posting in the wrong place or some other egregious error, and if that’s the case, please let me know.

Just purchased a 2004 919 yesterday, and I like the bike, but it’s WAY too loud. It has a Sato Racing exhaust installed, and this thing SCREAMS. Granted, I’m not the typical rider - the exhaust sound is one of the last things I look for in a bike. In fact, I’m generally annoyed by loud bikes. I’m an old fuddy-duddy, I can’t change that.

Now I need some help from the experts here. I want to put a stock exhaust back on, or make this one as quiet as stock, or quieter, if that’s even a thing. I checked Revzilla, and they have quiet baffles, but none that say work for a Sato, and no way to know how quiet it would be without a bunch of trial and error. Also, new stock mufflers would cost about half what I paid for the bike, so that’s out. I’m not concerned about performance as this bike is already stretching the limits of what I can handle. That said, I don’t want to do anything that would affect reliability.

Is there a product out there that someone has actually used to solve this problem? Does anyone know of a place where I should look for someone to buy or trade stock pipes? Is this that place? I know nothing.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I am a newb as well, but maybe I can help. You will pay out the nose for a set of new mufflers, but if you're willing to settle for LIKE-new mufflers, it looks like you can put together a nice set for $150-200 shipped. Check ebay.com. Alternatively, I'm sure you can find someone either on this forum or one of the 919 facebook groups that would more than happily trade you for your Sato mufflers, even swap.

My 919 came with a set of Yoshimura mufflers installed, but the previous owner was nice enough to include the original mufflers. I found the Yoshis a little bit loud for my taste, so I switched back to the stock exhaust. While I was at it, I found some more extra metal piping packed in the box with the OEM mufflers. It didn't occur to me at the time, but those were the removable baffles for the Yoshi mufflers. The increased weight didn't go unnoticed, but if you want your 919 to sound like a Singer Model 411 heavy duty sewing machine, you might like it. I ended up putting the Yoshis back on with the removable baffles installed, and it's just perfect now.

I don't know if Sato included anything like that with their exhaust systems, but if you go to ebay or amazon and search something along the lines of "motorcycle db killer exhaust baffle" you'll find some after-aftermarket options that might work for you. Earlier this year my wife bought a Danmoto Highwayman exhaust system for her Kawasaki Vulcan S. Holy crap, it was deafening and "muffler" was a bit of a misnomer for something shaped like a megaphone. I put another smaller diameter fiberglass-wrapped baffle inside the muffler, and then I put a couple of loosely packed stainless steel scouring pads in front of it with some extra wire mesh fastened in to make sure they didn't blow out at WOT. It helped get things back to a more bearable volume, about as loud as my CB500F is with no muffler at all.

#10 ·
Ok, things are moving fast. Received the stock mufflers from Dial today and got them installed. Oh man, what a difference! I downloaded a dB meter before I started and measured 80db at idle, and over 100 with the slightest of gas. With the stock mufflers, I measured just under 60 at idle, and up to 80 with a healthy rev. Bike also seems to run much smoother - no big cracks and pops on decel (I know, some people like that). Finally, I can start the bike in my driveway instead of coasting down the street and starting the bike on the fly.

Turned out better than I hoped! Thanks again for all the helpful responses here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.