New to me 02 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
I'm not dead yet...

**edit: I just saw there is a "new member" forum.... Which is probably where this should live..... Sorry for breaking decorum on my first post, that is why I am normally a reader not a poster....

Hello all,

So I am back in the saddle again with a new to me 2002 919, black (which I read on here is the fastest color)....

I have always loved the look of this bike, but had never ridden one until I made the plunge and picked up this girl about a month ago. So far I am loving it, good mix between power, comfort, cruising. This site has been extremely helpful in trying to get up to speed on all the ins-and-outs of this bike, so thank you all for that.

From running a vehicle history on it it looks like it has lived on the east coast its entire life starting in Connecticut, then Florida then through two (I am the third) owners here in VA. The computer says 7 owners, the way I read it it looks more like 4-5. Clock reads just over 12,000 miles, I have put on another 500 with "test rides" so far. Even so I don't have any service records on it, and although nothing looks to out of place I am working through checking everything over. It never had a Virginia state inspection during its life here, so first step was adding a PIAA horn to replace the factory horn that was missing. In doing so I found that the wiring harness was cut way up under the tank so I am now familiar with lifting the tank and what the rest of goodies look like under there. The left fork seal was also leaking, I have parts on order to completely rebuild the front forks but for the time being was able to stop the leak with my trusty seal mate. Also added mirrors as the bike was bare, and I like to be able to see behind me....Took it to the local shop and she now has her first ever current inspection.

A few things that I found along the way. The front forks are raised a good 1.5-2" Like almost touching the handle bars..... the bike seems to handle okay, but I really have no frame of reference. I was planning on trying to restore everything to as close to "stock" as possible so I have a clean slate to work from. Is it possible the rear was lowered in some way to match the forks? Anything I should look for there. I plan to lower the forks back to stock position when I have them off for the rebuild, hopefully I am not getting use to handling that will be completely altered when I go back to stock positions.

I also plan to change all the fluids (oil & filter, coolant, brake fluid) and also have new pads to install all the way around. Chain and sprockets look okay, going to try to clean and lube and then check play to see where I stand.

Cosmetically no major issues, just needs to be scrubbed and polished. The seat cover is starting to crack, I am on the lookout for a decent condition stock seat, or maybe a Corbin if the budget allows..... Anyone have luck trying to get the seat recovered at a "local" upholstery shop? Worth looking around or will it lead to disappointment?

If any 919 owners are in the central VA area, I would love to buy you lunch and have a look at your ride, there are a few parts I am not sure about in terms of stock vs aftermarket on this bike (handlebars, etc) and sleuthing around on another bike would be helpful.

Anyway, all that to say, new guy here. Loving the forum. I will try to keep my questions limited as most everything can be found with a search, but look forward to jumping into the conversation from time to time.

919OldMan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Left of Centre

Welcome along!

I have found local upholstery shops very helpful in respect of re-covering and altering the seat, but I live in a different area..

It's possible that the rear of the bike has been lowered, but because there's no linkage involved, it would mean a different shock was used, which should make it easier to spot by eye-balling it alongside another machine.

I envy your low mileage!

Good luck.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 AM
919 Rider

G'day and welcome Oldman. I too have a black 2002 CB900. LOVE IT!
I too would take the front back to stock. Kiwi is right if the rear shock is stock I doubt it's been lowered.
I have swapped out my non adjustable 02 forks for adjustable 04 forks. And replaced rear shock with an adjustable quality aftermarket unit using correct weight spring. This has allowed me to set correct sag. Combined with correct weight fork springs the ride is much more compliant and comfortable. Like night and day. Stock the rear was stiff and the front soft and bouncy. The roads are really crappy here.
Now seat covers. I brought a cover of ebay from a polish company. Fitted it myself, easy but nerve racking since I've never done this before. Turned out great, couldn't be happier.
Would've like to meet up for lunch (specially if your shouting!) but I'm on the opposite side of the planet. Bugger!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170908_113507_1530261185224.jpg (187.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20171014_105724-1-1-1_1530261489715.jpg (33.4 KB, 10 views)

post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 04:16 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
I'm not dead yet...

Islandboy that seat looks great! I have done just enough upholstery stuff to be a little intimidated by it, definitely a little art required to go along with the science part. Was the cover a recent find on ebay? I was only able to come up with one and they wanted a pretty crazy price for it......like Corbin complete seat kinda prices for just the cover...

Tomorrow I am going to get to detailing and fluid changes which will give me a chance to look at everything a little more up close, hopefully no big surprises.

Also working to put together a tool kit to match pretty close to the honda kit as it was gone. Still working on prices to see if it is worth it to build my own or get a aftermarket kit.

First day in a week bike hasn't been on the road, took the Jeep into work......I was trying to come up with an excuse to go back out but the wife wasn't buying it.....

post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Now seat covers. I brought a cover of ebay from a polish company. Fitted it myself, easy but nerve racking since I've never done this before. Turned out great, couldn't be happier.
Did you just use a mechanical staple gun, or something more powerful? It turned out really well!

post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
919 Rider

The seat cover brand was Wijalis. See if this link works.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132677086083
I had a bit of trouble finding it today? Had to do a Google image search and go from there. When looking for 919 stuff often helps to look for "Honda hornet 900".
The seat cover has a thin foam layer, about 5mm, on the underside. Definitely softer than stock.
To fit I used an air stapler, about $50, and wide crown staples. I didn't use a hair dryer but I did sit the cover in the sun for an hour or so and stapled it on during a hot day. A hair dryer would've helped. The cover itself is cut and shaped to fit the 919 seat well. All up for the cover and staple gun about $150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170908_113523-1_1530326507101.jpg (158.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180630_125245-1_1530327277669.jpg (116.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_161032-1-1_1530327380013.jpg (133.0 KB, 6 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode