New Tires Rule! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

New Tires Rule!

For any of you wondering how the Michelin Pilot CT2s are on a 919, they totally rule, especially after coming off the stock Hi-Sports.

Just wanted to share that.

Spook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Thanks. Did you get the Pilot Power CT2 or the Pilot Road CT2?

post #3 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I got the Pilot Power CT2

post #4 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

How many miles have ya put on 'em so far? Keep us informed on how they seem to be holding up and how the grip is holding. This could be a long term test on these newer tires. Hope your new Michelins have better luck than mine, caught a flippin nail after only 4 days of riding in the rear of my new Pirelli Diablo Stradas- It's a bummer to walk into your garage and to look at those cool new tires just to find one flat! AAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!

post #5 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

Does anyone have Pilot Roads? I bought them about 1k ago and I love the way they (single compound) feel, but I find them to be significantly louder than the Hi-Sports they came with.

post #6 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM

I have a pilot road2 rear with at least 8000 ks on it and it is great and have a pilot power on the front with the same

I reckon I'll get another 3500-4000 ks out of the pair.

Both are 2ct and only in temps below 5 degree celcius do they feel a bit "flat" - but then again so do I.

I got 4400 ks out of the Hi sports and should have changed the rear at 3400. Went from them to pilot roads front and rear in the single compound and loved them, but love the extra side grip the dual compound gives.

Not a lot a feedback but when they do let go -oil on wet roundabouts- I have been able to keep rolling on and ride it out (and then stop to change undies) touch wood.

The guy I buy my tyres from has tried to get me to go to Pirellis - think I will stick with the Michelins.

I did have a pilot road rear (when they first came out) chunk on my TRX850 after about 5000k's not sure why, but the michelin guys took care of it for me.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotRPI View Post
Does anyone have Pilot Roads? I bought them about 1k ago and I love the way they (single compound) feel, but I find them to be significantly louder than the Hi-Sports they came with.
With well over 100,000 miles on Pilot Roads I agree they are a bit noisier than some other tires I've run, but this is compensated for with mileage around 10,000 from rears and upwards of 15,000 from fronts. The Pilot Road 2CT's are a bit quieter, but the biggest difference is cornering traction -- considerably better. Incidentally, with 5,500 miles on the rear 2CT, there is 40% tread remaining to the wear bars, which would seem to indicate mileage slightly better than the old Roads. Truly the best of both worlds!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 17 Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM

I go the pirelli diablo corsa iii. They are awesome on the 919. Much more traction but more importantly confidence when leaned over. A great improvement over the hi sports. $120 for the front and only $145 for the rear at motonekoparts.com

post #9 of 17 Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Al

I'm in two minds about Michelin tyres. I know I shouldn't be, but I am...

Many years ago I loved Mich's but it seemed that every set I ever got, over the years, predictably behaved the same way - great while they are new, but about halfway into the tyres life, they began to exhibit some very disturbing trends, by letting go suddenly mid corner when pushed hard and scaring the absolute crap out of me.

I loved Mich's so much that I used to disregard this as just part of tyre life, but I went to other brands and this never quite happened to the same extent, Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. I would try different Mich tyres even including a few race 'grooved' slicks for the road but the same thing would happen. I simply never tried another Mich tyre and haven't done so for years now.

That doesn't mean to day I hate them, more that I would like to try them again but I am almost too scared to. Just yesterday I was in a bike shop and saw a special on Mich's and I am almost tempted to try the new CT2's but in the back of my mind is that same old mind set...

I am tempted to look at the BT-021 dual compund though...

Decisions decisions...!!!

post #10 of 17 Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I've got a set of brand new pilot road 2ct sitting in the garge that I like looking at. As soon as we get some bad weather I'll pull the wheels off, drive the truck to work and drop them off at the dealer to mount them for me. looking forward to trying them.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 AM

has anyone tried the battlax 021 sport touring tires?
i commute and i'm looking for something that will last.

post #12 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The only thing keeping me from the Pilot Road 2CT is the price.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The only thing keeping me from the Pilot Road 2CT is the price.
They are a bit pricey, but personally my favorite skin is worth every penny. I can only assume that as the "new" goes away, the prices, at least online, will drop until supply / demand equalize.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #14 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I am tempted to look at the BT-021 dual compund though...[/QUOTE]

I just had one mounted on the rear 2 days ago actually. I have only gone about 100 kms so far so they are still a little slick on the sides as most new tires are. So far I like them. I will keep you informed on how many kms I get out of it.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 02:18 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I don't know if there's a big differance in the 020 and 021. I have used the 020s on a couple of bikes and they did good untill about 2/3 of life. Then it seemed like the rubber just disappeared very fast like. Plus cupping really fast.
Next time you change a front tire that's cupped, feel how very thin the rubber is! It will scare you.
8,770 miles on Shinko 007s and still looking good.

[
post #16 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Tirone

Ive got the stock battle craps on mine and need a new rear at only 4500 miles
no burn outs 140 miles a day on rough country roads I do pay close attention to tire pressures , no cupping,we have the pilot roads at work they are pricey but I was thinking about the dunlop road smarts with the multi compound and wondered if any one has tried them as I dont think the pilots will last but want a more sticky tire as I have about an 8 mm chicken strip but want a tire that performs but also lasts .I guess the wear could be due to rapid acceleration he he

post #17 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

At Sunrise Cycles (right next door to Cycle gear) they were asking I think 225 for a rear Pilot Power. Not even the 2CT. They said it was because of the oil prices, but they are mostly a synthetic compound... Cycle Gear has them for I think 145 or 155 before my 10% off.

If you are from around Va Beach area watch your wallet!

2 > 4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode