New tires and suspension settings - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 1 Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New tires and suspension settings

Sitting around the house on vacation this week, got a call from work (a Goodyear store) saying a pair of tires had come for me. Rode my 07 919 there and put 'em on. Using a phobstand and a pitbull front stand, getting the wheels off was super easy. The new pilot powers are really soft and supple making them real easy to mount using a good touchless tire machine. Balanced with very little weight, re-using two of the three original clip weights. Some of you may know I put a penske 8900 sport shock on a few weeks ago. Since then, I've been playing with suspension settings. Fortunately I have willing people at work to help with setting sag. You need two people for this, one to hold the bike up with the rider on it and one to take measurements. For street use nearly all sources say to set it at about 30% of totat suspension travel front and rear. For my 165lbs, I found the front standard preload was allowing too much sag. If anyone has not made this basic adjustment, try it, what an improvement! The front rebound seems best at 3/4 turn out from fully in. The penske sport shock has a rebound adjuster that really works. Just a twist of a big thumbwheel clicker will easily take you from no damping at all to nearly rigid. But the penske has a goodie I've never had on any motorcycle before, a rear ride height adjustment separate from the pre-load. It adjusts with a pair of 1" end wrenches with the shock in place. IMO having this is worth a big chunk of the price. I am riding with the rear 5/8" higher than stock and the bike steers quicker with no loss of stability. Anybody here have some experience with rear ride height adjustment? I want to play with it but don't want to venture into instability. I made no suspension changes today, just tires. Broke the pilots in this afternoon. They may be very slightly less stable in a straight line than the oem michelin hi sports but leaned well over are very stable. I commute on the 919 to work almost evry day with a few nice sweeping, wide and lightly trafficked curves with concrete expansion joints. The suspension set-up and the pilot powers combine to just eat up these expansion joints so the bike hardly twiches at all when cornering over them.
Man, I have so much fun putting this stuff on my bike. I love working on it. I think the 919 will be remembered in several years time as one of the last simple, easy to work on road motorcycles ever made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode