New Tires - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

New Tires

I just replaced my Pilot Power with a Pilot Power 2CT and the original front with a Pilot Power (they didn't have the 2CT in stock).

My findings:

The good: Well seeing that I put em on yesterday I couldn't really take the curves fast because they're slick, I still found them to be much more stable in a turn. It felt like I was on a rail! I got about 120 miles on them today on a group ride, so when I was coming home I took one curve at the usual speed and it was much more comfortable and felt like 15mph less.

The bad: When we were on the interstate and went "supersonic" the front seemed to be a little loose on traction and a little wobbly... WTF was it? I think it might be unbalanced or maybe, because it's not broken in and has the little nipples everywhere... Anyone know?

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post

The bad: When we were on the interstate and went "supersonic" the front seemed to be a little loose on traction and a little wobbly... WTF was it? I think it might be unbalanced or maybe, because it's not broken in and has the little nipples everywhere... Anyone know?
was it loose on acceleration or while settled at a steady speed?

post #3 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Really loose on traction? or more sensitive to rider input?
I have the 2ct's & have noticed they are sensitive to small inputs from the bars. But shove it into a corner & it is as stable as can be. If you are using 36 psi try dropping down to 30-32 psi.
It might be the rain grooves(if you have them in your roads) moving it around as well.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Mikey is probably right again.

I am aware of the CT front tire recall. I friend put a CT on the rear of a Gen1 FZ a few months back. That rear tire developed a vibration. I don't think it was anything dangerous. He jumped the Michelin ship and put a set of Conti Sport Attacks on. Those are very fine tires also. Probably what I'm going to put on next.

Has Michelin gotten bugs worked out on the 2CT? I won't buy any for at least a year. I'll let someone elce do their R+D. I've heard from a track rider that the 2CT is overkill anyways. The standard Pilot Power is all the tire most people can use.

post #5 of 27 Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Yes, they have the replacement tires out now. I'm still running my "French" version without any issues.

IMO you can never have too much tire. I use all the tire with every tire I use. I like the stability & stick of 2CT's. Either way, The tires are all abut the same price anyway. Why not get the most for your money.
Pirelli Diablo Corsa is also a top performing tire.
I like to be able to lean over as far as needed w/o worrying abut running out of tire.

post #6 of 27 Old 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If running a softer more expensive tire boosts yur confidence, I'm all for it.

A 250 lb friend of mine runs an 01 ZX12. He has 160 horses, 80 ft lbs torque. He may need a 2ct. My bike and I weigh at least 100 lbs less. My bike makes less than 110 hp. The Continental RoadAttack that I have on the back of my 919 has done well for me on the track and street. Peg feeler (minus spacer) and knee have both been down (together). I can't lean over much furter that that right now. For my application, what more can I ask? The Continental is $27 less and last longer. If I run out of traction, I can always go to the stickier SportAttack.

post #7 of 27 Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think I figured it out. Tire said to be at 41psi up front and they filled it to 46...

Back is 42psi and that was also at 46 or 47...

I made sure it wasn't a recall front when I got it. MADE IN SPAIN!

2 > 4
post #8 of 27 Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Front should be at 36 psi

post #9 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Can anybody reccommend a Tire , Ive been running the Qualifiers but the tire life sucks , Im getting 3200 miles and the center tread mark is showing already. I commute 50 miles a day round trip and tires are eating me up.str8

post #10 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

The hard part about tires is what are you willing to compromise ? Grip of life of the tire ?
Ive found the Pilot powers do a good job of providing both, but, they wont last 5/6k miles in most cases.
A great touring type of tire that still has sporting intentions is the Pireli Diabo Strada - Ive got a set on my Buell S3T and with about 2.5k miles, they dont even look scrubbed in, grip is good, but, you will be able to feel they are a touring tire after pushing it hard for afew miles-
Hope this helps !

post #11 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda Addict

I've got Pilot Powers on right now. Thinking of going with the Pilot Roads when these are gone. Ya'll are right about the Powers having plenty of grip. It stays planted. They are really confidence inspiring. I'll bet the wobbly feeling is from minor bar input as well. The rear tends to flat spot pretty quickly when doing hiway riding. So I tend to avoid the interstate if possible - it's boring anyway!

Know a guy that punishes tires and is always buying a new one. He swears that the Pilot Roads are the best combo of sticky and longevity.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

There's also a Pilot Road 2 coming out that is a dual compound so that should make them even better.

post #13 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Newfie

Str8,

I also commute 50 miles per day and I have almost 9k miles on my tires. They need to be changed and will be when I hit my 15k.... 300 miles away. I use Metzeler Roadtec Z6's and have loved every mile on em. They warm up fast, very comfortable at low and high speeds.... 150 mph feels like 100.
I got the "tea cup" effect now but no tread mark showing yet...
They stick gooood too.

Good luck!

post #14 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Wow, sounds like something I should look at for sure. I have a buddy that get me race take offs for 150 for a set but feel that would be wasting my money. Yours sound like a much better option, thanks guys for the insight.
str8

post #15 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
.... 150 mph feels like 100.
I've never been 150 on my 919. What's that like?

post #16 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
919er

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 

I got blown off at 125... couldn't hold on ha ha

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
post #17 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I've never been 150 on my 919. What's that like?
Lol, I've gone over 170 on it. And sustained a speed over 150+ for a few minutes. Will my motor just quit working one day?

2 > 4
post #18 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
Can anybody reccommend a Tire , Ive been running the Qualifiers but the tire life sucks , Im getting 3200 miles and the center tread mark is showing already. I commute 50 miles a day round trip and tires are eating me up.str8
When I changed both tires my bike was at 12,500 miles. I changed the OEM back tire at 5,000 miles to a Pilot Power and that lasted me 7,500 miles with only a few burnouts and aggressive riding. The OEM front tire still had a little tread left when I changed it.

From what I've experienced the Pilot Power should get over 8k if you are nice to it, and the OEM front should get 14k (estimating). Not sure about the OEM rear, because when I bought the bike at 2,000 miles it looked like the girls boyfriend had some fun smoking it.

2 > 4
post #19 of 27 Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 AM

I'm looking at tyres at the moment and it was suggested to go for same brand tyres just different version,ie sport front and next 1 down(maybe sport tourer )rear as comprimise for better life/performance from 1 set of tyres.

post #20 of 27 Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Lol, I've gone over 170 on it. And sustained a speed over 150+ for a few minutes. Will my motor just quit working one day?
170, wow.
I wonder what this guy was thinking:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sport_motorcycle_chart.htm

post #21 of 27 Old 10-07-2007, 02:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

LOL. I think the only way a 919 will do an honest 170, is if you throw it out of an airplane.

post #22 of 27 Old 10-07-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
170, wow.
I wonder what this guy was thinking:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sport_motorcycle_chart.htm
LMAO. Yeah right. I do 150 daily just for my dose of adrenaline. If it only did 142 I would have a different bike. It won't go much faster than 150 right now, because of my current gearing... But if I switch back

2 > 4
post #23 of 27 Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
LMAO. Yeah right. I do 150 daily just for my dose of adrenaline. If it only did 142 I would have a different bike. It won't go much faster than 150 right now, because of my current gearing... But if I switch back
Is that with a corrected speedo?
Put a speedo healer on it and you will be pleasantly bummed.
142-145 corected is about all your gonna get.
Trust me. 150mph is a lot faster than you think it is.
I have the stock gearing w/speedo healer & all I can get out of it is about 145mph. Down hill!
I had a Dodge viper Zip by me to prove it!

post #24 of 27 Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

At an indicated 130, rock steady(17t) I'm bout to choke for the chin strap trying to keep my helmet off. This is on a 2 mile long river bottom thru large fields( to see cars and cops!)

Newspaper headlines:
Retired little fat man flies 600' thru the air after hitting armadillar at 130mph!!!

[
post #25 of 27 Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

lol @ "170" on a 919.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-16-2007, 03:13 AM

power 2ct

Well just got back from the Island (nice win from Casey!)

new power 2ct on the front (less than 200 k's on it) rear power 2ct with just on 1000k's on it

In the rain, (only rained for about 600 k's) had a couple of big slides whilst cruising - was in Victoria so the highway patrol guys were savage, hiding in bushes, portable cameras you know normal revenue raising tricks (oops a bit carreid away) anyway because of said police attention and wet road was taking it very easy, tankbag with just a sleeping bag and gearsack back flipped and sitting on the pillion pad.

Anyway the tyre was moving around, felt as slippery as frog snot and was basically not a fun day. It was that horrible that I got some blokes that drove down to take both the gearsack and tankbag back in a car with them.

Still felt bad on the trip home even though it was hot (31 degree celcius at Cann River at lunch time) This time the front was moving and the back was spinning up out of corners

As I was flogged when I got home and rode to work early this morning I will check the pressures tomorrow before I go to work. got the fitter to put 36 in the front and I run 40 in the back. Will see if his gauge gives the same reading as my gauge and adjust accordingly, then if still slippery will try 32-34psi.

This sucks as I have used Michelins for the last 10 years (macadam 90 & 100, hi sports, pilot sports, pilot roads and pilot powers) and up till now have loved them. Right now I think the old Macadams had more grip then the front.

BTW what a race

post #27 of 27 Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 AM

fekking tyre pressure

As its been about 4 hours since getting home from work and I was in the garage getting an ale I thought I would run the tyre pressure gauge over the bike.

front 29.5psi

rear 36.5psi

now after my last post, that could have a lot to do with it feeling a bit slippery.
Plus....

power road 2ct on the rear

power on the front (thought I asked for a road 2ct for the front as well) oh well guess the power (non 2ct) should be stickier than the road 2ct.

looks like I will be chucking a few PSI in it before work tomorrow.

Although the question now is could the battery in my tyre gauge (which I have had for years) be stuffed and giving a low reading?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode