New steed in the stable - 05' 919 Service advice? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rmb
  • 1 Post By rmb
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
New steed in the stable - 05' 919 Service advice?

For a number of reasons I am in the process of selling my fairly modded missile of an FZ1 and have picked up as my new steed an 05 919 in seemingly lovely condition...

The transition from FZ1 to Hornet is moving along swiftly and well enough. After the initial excitement which comes with any new bike to play with I have been a little sad to note the obvious and to be expected differences, mainly in power delivery and smoothness. And the Remus Racing Danmoto cans sound quite loud and throaty. Are their value just saving weight and volume? Or do they actually alter the power in any noticeable way?

I like the nimble feel, it does seem lighter than the FZ, and the power is there low down and after 3k rpm it will roar and zoom enough for all my town work and probably be fine for some trips a little further afield, an hour or so, with my Lady on the back in the future, yet I will probably need to get a bigger screen.

The Bridgestone T30 Evos - installed in December - seem fine with cornering very comfortable, the bars give good range and swift flickability. Yet those mirrors...whilst reducing width (from stock mirrors I presume) also are a little annoying on my left hand, which keeps rubbing against the upwards metal arm. I am already peeking at these:>

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CB...EAAOSwnHZYiw7I

Also not a major fan of the smaller levers, yet they will be fine...harder to be lazy with them.

And so now I am pondering maintenance. The valves I remain unsure of, other than its too much for me to do myself. I will ask a trusted mechanic for their opinion. Oil and filter were done 3 months back. I shall peek at the air filter also (perhaps replace), give the chain a nice clean and lube, perhaps bleed the brake lines (the pads all look fine and the last owner gave me a pair of new pads for the front calipers).

The RWC was done two weeks back yet I know this covers only basic safety elements. So will aim to have a proper grease merchant check the thing over.

It seems a lot better on the juice...yet perhaps this is partly due to a bigger tank, I will compare shortly, though I would assume the FZ, especially with the MODS would churn a bit more naturally as its more powerful and basically a missile on two wheels.

As for the battery...the starter seems weak, but it always starts. Could this be due to battery, or the starter? Not sure on how to check the age of the battery...will peek at the model and try get some information. Also will consider changing the plugs if not too tricky a job and probably long overdue?

Any advice is welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 04:53 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!
thegutterpoet likes this.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Hello and welcome!

Cheers, rmb...any advice on service work for my new steed? I have sent out some feelers to local mechanics, starting to warm to the ride more every day and now just looking to get it in the best condition possible and also any low cost mods that could smooth or improve.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM
McTavish

Welcome !

post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutterpoet View Post
Cheers, rmb...any advice on service work for my new steed? I have sent out some feelers to local mechanics, starting to warm to the ride more every day and now just looking to get it in the best condition possible and also any low cost mods that could smooth or improve.
Buy yourself a service manual ( I like to have the paper copy in hand anyway) and read through a bunch of the technical threads here. If you can change the oil you can do most if not all of the maintenance on the 919 yourself.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Buy yourself a service manual ( I like to have the paper copy in hand anyway) and read through a bunch of the technical threads here. If you can change the oil you can do most if not all of the maintenance on the 919 yourself.
Adding to rmb's advice.
Any manual should also have the updates package, which you have to fit into the manual on a per page basis.
I'm not aware of the original manual ever being reprinted with the updates.
I got mine in 2005, and it did not have an update for the fork cap design change of 2004, but maybe it was issued later.
RMB is spot on re "almost all of the maintenance".
If one is reasonably mechanically inclined and can follow instruction, in terms of pure "maintenance", I'd say the only thing that might spook one off is changing the cam bucket shims to get the clearances back to spec.
BUT one can check the clearances, and if they are OK, leave good enough alone.
Or, it they need doing, and one is leery of doing that work, you can at least go to the shop and say you've checked and determined which valves are out but can't do that work yourself.
As for those clearances over time, the overwhelming feedback from this site is they hold their clearances extremely well.
Per rmb, mine this website for issues, particularly electrical ones relating to starting as associated with the headlamp circuit.
The common fault is not even listed in the manual, nor is the fix.
thegutterpoet likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Tesserarius

Which gen FZ did you have?

post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Tirone

My '07 came with some nasty aftermarket mirrors that made everything a blur no matter what speed. I stumbled into a set of Triumph Speed Triple OEM mirros and they have been fantastic with no blur at any speed. That would be an expensive fix but it would be a fix you wouldn't have to do over again.

+1 on the "real" shop manual. I found mine on eBay for a reasonable price and it's been well worth the money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode