New rubber! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
it's a honda, not a bmw

New rubber!

So, , , I found a reason to get my new tires mounted and balanced.

I saw a bit of cord peaking out so decided to do a little burnout in the driveway to finish her off. Didn't want to risk the rim by running it until it blew out, plus I don't think it would be as easy to change if you have to deal with a shredded mess.

The new tires are Pirelli Diablos. Only about 100 miles on them now, but so far I'm loving them.

I really think I would have loved any new tire over the worn out set on the bike. They have made the 9er fun to ride again.

I snapped a pic of my cheap bike stand solution too

OEM center stand, best mod on the bike. Gotta change wheels? no problem. Adjust your chain? easy. Sinking in the asphalt on your side stand? pop it up on the center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09132008206 - Copy.jpg (115.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 09132008208 - Copy.jpg (83.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 09132008210 - Copy.jpg (116.2 KB, 114 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceWI View Post
Sinking in the asphalt on your side stand? pop it up on the center.
I've sunk in asphalt with a center stand. It was pretty funny looking and took some work to get out!

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I almost lost my VFR to the asphalt parking lot at the Holiday Inn at Lake Powell in June, it was 114 degrees and it ate the whole center stand leaving the bike resting back on the tires, it was lots of fun to get out.

Dan

post #4 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Tirone??

Nice rubber!

I agree, I do not have the center stand, but can see where it would come in handy!

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #5 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
it's a honda, not a bmw

Yep, I've sunk a center stand too, but at least the bike is still upright when you come back to it rather than on it's side.

Looks pretty strange too just sitting there level with both wheels on the ground but no rider.

As for the new tires, I picked them up last year for a super price I couldn't pass up, and was just waiting to finish off the pilot powers on the bike this summer before getting them mounted. I don't expect them to last too long since they seem pretty soft and sticky, and the next set for the bike will have to be more of a sport touring tire. Too many of my miles end up being straight line commuting, and these softies end up way too square way too soon.

post #6 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

keep us informed on how they last. I currently have a Pirelli Rosso front and a Pirelli Strada rear. I plan to put on a Rosso rear as soon as I wear out the Strada, but I am at 8000 miles and it still has some life left.

I love my Pirelli's and intend to stick with them. I am open to trying new things, but I have not been let down yet by my Pirelli's.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #7 of 29 Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Tirone

I was looking at the dunlop roadsmart tires. they have that different compound stuff in it and they say it grips like a qualifier with exceptional I have m3's now and they are great with excellent traction and warmup but like said above when i go on a trip or commute anywhere the tire only wears in the middle. I wish daily commuting was twisties but i cant get up early enough to take the long way in the morning

post #8 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I just installed the RoadSmarts and after initial break-in they feel much better than the stock Michelins, the front tire is loud (subdued howling at freeway speeds) but they feel much more stable when leaned way over.

Dan

post #9 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I have the RoadSmarts as well but I haven't heard any howling coming from them. Great tires in my opinion though.

post #10 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I too LOVE my RoadSmarts, I've got about 2500 miles on them now, and they are barely showing any wear. Can't say I have any howling though, maybe you've got a bearing or some kinda drag problem? I might be kinda deaf tho to

I was wondering, how are you guys mounting and balancing these tires? I'm a mechanic and do car tires all the time, but I've never seen a bike tire done. Are you just using bars to pry them on/off? And how the heck are ya balancing them? Bubble balancer? Where do you get the weights? Inquiring minds want to know.

post #11 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

One of the tech's at work also has a Harley repair business he runs out of his house, he mounts all my tires for me as long as I don't tell anyone he's working on a Jap bike, he has a motorcycle tire machine and a Snap On motorcycle wheel spin balancer that works great. My front tire went on and he didn't have to change or move the weight (1/4oz) from its previous location, the rear only needed to have the weight(also 1/4oz) moved three inches forward to achieve zero. I also had him install the Ariete 90degree valve stems while he had the tires off, talk about an improvement, much easier to check and fill now.

Dan

post #12 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
One of the tech's at work also has a Harley repair business he runs out of his house, he mounts all my tires for me as long as I don't tell anyone he's working on a Jap bike

Oh, man that's funny - I just have this funny SNL - like sketch that just played out in my head.

I'd go on but probably get harassed for stereotyping.
Good to see there are a few black&orange guys out there that realize we all bleed red.

post #13 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
In it for the Gas Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
I just installed the RoadSmarts and after initial break-in they feel much better than the stock Michelins, the front tire is loud (subdued howling at freeway speeds) but they feel much more stable when leaned way over.

Dan
howling as opposed to the wind blowing by or the sound of your pipes?

I am still on my stock Michelins and I am wondering when I will need new ones. The bike only had 5k on the clock when I bought it, but the tires do seem like they are weathered and cracking around the edges and patterns and such. Do you think it should be time to change them soon or at least for next season?

2003 Honda 919: Matte Black
post #14 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh, man that's funny - I just have this funny SNL - like sketch that just played out in my head.

I'd go on but probably get harassed for stereotyping.
Good to see there are a few black&orange guys out there that realize we all bleed red.
well said omaha!!!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #15 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 11:51 AM
USMC

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

if your rubber is cracking then you need to replace

2007 CB919 37 mi Aug 20 2008
post #16 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
it's a honda, not a bmw

if you're riding an 03 with stock tires on it that suck, then you need to replace

you will fall back in love with the bike all over again

post #17 of 29 Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
howling as opposed to the wind blowing by or the sound of your pipes? :
Deffinatly not wind or pipes, it wasn't there before the new tires but now it is, it's the same sound the General Grabber AT2's makw on my F250 just not as loud, it's not annoying just new.
It's only coming from the front tire, I've rechecked the install re-torqued all the fasteners lifted the front and checked for dragging, nothing, just a all terrain tire howl on the freeway.

Dan

post #18 of 29 Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

MGuy, Getting the rubber off and back on is the easiest aspect of changing tires. You'll have to figure out some sort of bead breaker, and a fixture to hold the wheel. I made a "tire changer contraption". Works very well. I posted pics of it long ago. A search might find them, so you know what I'm talking about. You'll need rim protectors, and 3 tire irons, tire slime. a carpenter's knife and you're in business. I static balance.

post #19 of 29 Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks Sniper! Thats what I thought, just wanted to see if someone had come up with a good way of dynamic balancing that I hadn't thought of yet. Breaking the bead and removing the tire if fairly straight forward if you have any experience with tire removal of any kind, but getting a good dynamic balance w/o a machine isn't as easy. Static balance is ok I guess, but not something I would be comfortable with at high speeds. But then again, I'm a little

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #20 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post

Dan
How many miles do you have on em?? also do they grip good too. Their not gonna let me down around a sharp turn are they.

post #21 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Newfie

About 3 months ago I "acquired" a nail in the back tire of my less than 2500 mile Metzeler Roadtec Z6's. I went to the dealer for immediate replacements, however they did not have the z6. I decided on the pirelli Diablo as my replacements. I have 2500 on these and they feel real good. They are good in the rain, they warm up quickly and are pretty sticky in the corners. At least I haven't gotton slippery yet. The treads are holding up real well.

post #22 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
About 3 months ago I "acquired" a nail in the back tire of my less than 2500 mile Metzeler Roadtec Z6's. I went to the dealer for immediate replacements, however they did not have the z6. I decided on the pirelli Diablo as my replacements. I have 2500 on these and they feel real good. They are good in the rain, they warm up quickly and are pretty sticky in the corners. At least I haven't gotton slippery yet. The treads are holding up real well.
i had the diablo's on my 1000.. they were great.. i put michelin pilot powers on my 919 after the stock slipstone b56's let me down big time in a wet parking lot..(ouch but no real damage to the bike.. escalade who's driver did'nt think stop meant her).. i have gotten really fond of the michelins and wholeheartedly recomend them to anyone who is looking for 9er rubber.. great in the wet great in the dry... we will see about longevity

post #23 of 29 Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster4344 View Post
How many miles do you have on em?? also do they grip good too. Their not gonna let me down around a sharp turn are they.
So far I've just done the recomended 100 mile break in period, but they already feel better than the Michelins, I don't see them letting me down. They have a little "rounder" profile and they feel more planted, I'll have to put a bunch more miles on them to see if the smile fades at all.

Dan

post #24 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Voodooridr, Do ya think the source of your subdued howl might be the 90 degree stems. All that undisturbed air up front being stirred by that nipple spinning round might make a bit of noise. May not hear the rear one because the air has been broken up by the front of the bike.
Who knows??

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #25 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

It probably has more to do with the fact that the tread pattern on the RoadSmarts is 180 degrees opposite from the Michelins. I've rechecked the installation and torque values and everythings good so I'm just going to teach myself to tune it out.

Dan

post #26 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
.. i have gotten really fond of the michelins and wholeheartedly recomend them to anyone who is looking for 9er rubber.. great in the wet great in the dry... we will see about longevity
I've got about 6500 miles on my Pilot Powers. Sides are still in great shape, but the middle is about 1 millimeter from the wear indicators. New Pilot Powers will be on order soon.

Should you replace both at the same time? My front has plenty of wear left, but it's getting cupped.

post #27 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
it's a honda, not a bmw

You can't really tell from the pic above, but my front pilot power "looked" alright with a little bit of cupping, but after feeling that tire dismounted from the wheel I'm happy it was replaced.

I'm definitely on the side of replacing both together as a pair. Unless you like doing smokey burnouts and trashing your rears, your front will get worn enough (though it won't show as much) from riding to justify replacement.

This is just my opinion, you can do whatever you want, but I'd rather be a bit more cautious, especially with bike maintenance, since problems can hurt quite a bit more.

post #28 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM

On a related note...I ordered a Metzler Z6 front to match the Z6 on the back. The shop (my local Honda dealer) quoted me $24 if I brought in just the wheel for installation and balancing, $50 if I brought the whole bike. I've not had bike tires changed before so...is this reasonable?

I would like to hear what other shops are charging.

Paul

post #29 of 29 Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasheight-8 View Post
On a related note...I ordered a Metzler Z6 front to match the Z6 on the back. The shop (my local Honda dealer) quoted me $24 if I brought in just the wheel for installation and balancing, $50 if I brought the whole bike. I've not had bike tires changed before so...is this reasonable?

I would like to hear what other shops are charging.

Paul
There are two shops in Owensboro that will do it wheel off for $25. One is a dealer and the other is a mom and pop place. Sounds about right to me.

If you have a friend with a motorcycle mount and balance machine you can just ship the new tires to him/her and do it there for free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode