New Owner Q's (cable routing, susp upgr, brakes, etc) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

New Owner Q's (cable routing, susp upgr, brakes, etc)

Hi gents,

Various questions here from a new owner. Made an introductory thread, here, if you'd like to see the bike and know a bit more about it :

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ner-61553.html

My goals with this bike were to save some money (everywhere I go, rates for insurance and registration on sportbikes are getting to be stratospheric), and get a more comfortable bike than what I've had so far, that didn't beg me to go at insane speeds all the time. As well, it's a bit of an experiment. I've never had a bike with aftermarket suspension, and since the hornet is cheaper, I've got money for this (within reason). Will also do the low mount exhaust.

For reference, this is my first naked : I've owned a TZR250, RZ350, FZR400 (with stock, YZF600, then Frankenstein 661cc engines) and my current RC51. So, questions, in no particular order :

1. I'll be putting on stainless lines, quite likely with link from sticky; but anybody have status on the brake line holders? Or are they necessary? I've always seen a pretty noticeable improvement when putting stainless lines on; can I expect same from this bike?

2. I don't suppose any of you would have a used aftermarket shock for sale, would you....? . Otherwise, I'll probably just go for LDH's 550$ Ohlins. Still hoping to convince Ditch to sell me those forks.....

3. Request : could someone please post pictures of your throttle cable routing at the handlebars? My bike came with Pro Taper handlebars, which I quite like, but I wonder if they're just too wide. (Anybody running those?). Cuz the lock nut for the return cable is not even screwed in, and is practically impossible to do so. I'd just need to twist the cable a certain way, and there's just no give. Handlebars turn lock to lock just fine though, no change in idle speed. Plus, my clutch is abnormally stiff. I know the 919 is kinda known for a stiff clutch, but this is not normal. I'll lube the cable, but I wonder if this all points to too-wide handlebars?

4. Anybody have experience with those shorty levers from China? Look good to me.... Cheap, adjustable, good enough...

That's it! Thanks much for your time.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Milites Gregarius

I put on stainless lines recently - definitely a stiffer feel. I like it. The rear is more for the look but the front has a very nice feel.

I also got shorty levers from China, did not want to pay $200 for levers... So far so good. They are good for the price but I hear that the paint fades.

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes
post #3 of 6 Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

#4 I have these levers on both 919's and the ST1300. Very pleased with fit, finish and purchase.

http://shop.the2wheels.com/

#3 The clutch cable may just need lube or replacement if high miles and then use it as a spare just in case. My '03 has 75K and has never been replaced or lubed for that matter and don't forget to lube the pivot point in addition. Check to see if the there is any play in the throttle. Many of us have eliminated the play at the top end to reduce the throttle snatch when you come off the gas and then back on. There is also adjustment at the bottom end, it's just a pain in the ass to get to.

It would be good to scare up a factory service manual if you can.

Welcome aboard!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Immune

Definitely go for the Chinese levers, money well spent.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Is there a minimum amount of posts required in order for one to be able to edit posts? I'd like to edit my #3 up there, as some fiddling in the garage this morning largely cured this.

I've ordered Chinese levers :

Shorty Long CNC Clutch Brake Lever Fits Honda CB599 CB919 CBR 600 F2 F3 F4 F4I | eBay

Will get the stainless lines tomorrow. Thinking front only.

Service manual : I thought there was one downloadable from one of the stickies here...?

Anyway - am finding out that this stiff clutch is really going to be a bummer. I'll need to fix that. I think a clutch cable lube will be the first thing to be done. If that doesn't work, new cable. Has anybody gone as far as changing the springs? If so, for which ones?

post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Posts can be edited in a short time window only by the poster. Perhaps a moderator could intervene and make the adjustment for you.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode