New owner intro - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New owner intro

UPDATE: sorry I see there is a new member forum, probably should have posted in there

Hello all, new to the forums.

I recently sold my 96 nighthawk (only 9K miles on it) and found a very nice '02 919 a week ago. Loved it the minute I pulled away!

I immediately changed the oil, ordered some new mirrors and put some seafoam in the tank (I have a slight pulse at idle that slowly smooths out as she warms up. Hopefully, this is just a minor issue, maybe old gas?)

Any maintenance items I should take care of at this point? I am just shy of 19K miles.

Any other owners near me? I am in northern IN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7416.jpg (261.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7417.jpg (222.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7418.jpg (253.4 KB, 23 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Centurion

Nice one...I would chalk up the pulse to plain ol 919 idle.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Pilus Posterior

Looks VERY clean! Nice to see an all stock 919. I too came from a Nighthawk background, but I kept mine . I came from the 700S and got the 06 red 919 bone stock some 5+ years ago and put some 16,000 miles on her.

Like Bryce said, the pulse is native to the 919.

PS: don't forget to lube the cables, throttle cables are a bear to install.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 PM
919 Rider

Welcome. Nice clean lookin bike. Bar end weights are missing.
About your idle pulse. You could probably smooth things out. I did.
My bike when I first got it had a very noticeable pulse at idle. Also at a low constant speed, walking pace, the bike would often jerk and lurch.
Not any more. Even, smooth idle and low speed throttle.
I would say the two things I did to my bike to get this result was a power commander III and carried out the starter valve synchronization procedure.
The power commander allowed for a fuel map change. Removing some fuel at idle and low speed made a big difference.
You mentioned the pulse is worse when cold. I believe these bikes have some enrichment zones in the fueling which is in part temp dependant. So when it's cold ECU might map for a rich mix. Similarly if engine is running too hot ECU again could code for a rich mix to help cool things down. I'm no expert on this.
I think a lot of pulse at idle especially when cold or even really hot could just be from a rich mix.
Now the starter valve synchronization procedure. This was the final nail in the coffin for my idle pulse/low speed surging. When carrying this out I found none of my starter valves were balanced. All were off from the master valve, one was way off.
Both the PC111 and the valve synchronization cost money, a little technical and a little time consuming.
Possibly other factors could be old plugs, dirty injector/s.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

New Owner Intro

Welcome.

At the mileage you're showing doing the fluids: brake, and coolant if their service history are unknown would be good. Good job on the oil. Eyeball your sprockets and chain for wear (and lubrication). Speaking of lube, hose the clutch cable.....I got 23 k out of mine, but they usually don't last that long.

Also of concern at that mileage could be the 17,000 mile valve adjustment. Although I've been told that in general the niners valves rarely get far out of adjustment, Honda recommends an adjustment at 17k. If you don't know the bike's service history, the expense of doing the valves, tho its not astronomical, did make me think twice before I had my dealer do it. It might have influenced the po to sell depending on various factors. Course if you do your own wrenching you can have the satisfaction of being sure all is well from your own labor.

If the tires are original consider replacing them. Tires usually carry their date of manufacture in code. Much over 5 years old, consider replacing.

My 2 cents.

Again, welcome. Its a good place to be.....lots of wisdom here.

Enjoy. Keep the greasy side down.

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 PM
919 Rider

Don't skimp out on your first valve clearance check. I just did my first check on my 919 and I had several out of spec.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Seasoned

When I got my 2006 919 in early July, the fueling was way off. Here's what I did, based on advice from the Forum:
1. Did the PAIR valve block-off plates.
2. Did the flapper valve block-off.
3. Went to 17/44 gearing.
4. Went back to stock mufflers, found on ebay. It had early Yoshimuras. This was my idea, but it civilized the bike for my neighborhood.

Now I don't notice the low speed fueling issues at all. Maybe it is because I have also gotten better at the throttle and clutch.
As to the valve adjust, it is now in the shop at 16K. My mechanic says there are usually only one or two valves out of spec, but it will prevent a burnt valve. That means replacement of the valve, seat, and possibly the head.

And let's face it. This is a fast and complex machine which deserves care. It's not like the old Honda 50 Cubs that you rode until they quit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode