New Owner and a Bit of a Tale - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Repper

New Owner and a Bit of a Tale

Hi all, just wanted to say that I've been reading these forums for a couple of months, actually it was 2 days before I actually bought my 2004 919. I was thinking about a couple other bikes but this forum helped me decide on the 9'er.

I was having loads of fun with my 919, until a week or so ago. I noticed an oil leak on the ground. At first I thought it was just too much chain oil. After about a 40 minute ride to my parents house, my mother noticed the oil. I told her it must still be the chain oil. I rode it home and parked it overnight and didnt notice a couple more spots. Then, after I came home from work my fiancee asked me if I knew my bike was leaking oil. Sure enough, drip......drip...

I took it back to where I got it and they had it for a couple of days. I called them back and it was like they were afraid to talk to me. It seems the counter shaft seal was leaking fairly steadily. They were afraid to talk to me because the warrenty they sold me did not cover seals and gaskets, but they were double checking with the warrenty company, just in case. No luck though, they won't cover it.

So although the guy tells me its a $10.00 seal, they have to split the motor to get to it, so its over $1,000 in labor. There goes the PC and exhaust I wanted...

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them?
Everyone tells me that Honda's shouldn't do that. So, I guess its my luck, then.

And in case anyone is wondering... I am trying to be good natured about this, but yes, my faith in Honda has been shaken.

Repper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Milites Gregarius

besides one Suzuki all I have ever had have been Honda's and have never seen them do that.. and I have had some old ones....

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #3 of 16 Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 PM

Repper, that sucks..
Keep us posted.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
DropBear 9

Oh Repper, that's seriously bad luck mate!
And it sucks the place you bought it won't cover it.
Bad form on their part.
Do you think they might play ball and maybe meet you halfway perhaps?

I've never heard of any 9er having that kind of issue, and I tend to go along with the notion of Hondas generally being pretty well made and reliable.
Well, as much as any mass produced unit can reasonable expect to be.

I had a VF400 that lasted me 20 years without ever needing to touch the motor.
Had to get head bearings replaced after the first week so I was a bit apprehensive at first, but that was covered by warranty and apart from replacing fork seals and carby diaphragms, it never needed anything other than the usual suspects.. Tyres, chain, sprockets and the like. It's still going strong too.

So far the 900 is living up to MY expectations, so hopefully once you get this sorted, it will all be sweet from there on.

Good luck with it mate, and (though it's not worth a bean) you have my sympathies.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That sucks. I agree this is abnormal. I assume it was used when you got it. If it's not too late I would try changing the oil in it. Maybe someone put something in there that isn't setting to well on the 9er's stomach. Worth a shot. Counter shaft seal leaks don't tend to heal themselves though. Otherwise, have the dealer talk with Honda and see if they are willing to help out. Good luck and welcome to the site.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome aboard Repper... You seal problem did not materialize over night. That sucker was brewing long before you owned the bike. How many miles are on your 919? First off check and recheck to see if the problem is covered under your warranty, call them yourself if you have to. Next; have the dealer get in touch with Honda maybe something can be worked out to cover the replacement seal. If that fails, you get in touch with Honda. Never take NO for a answer, go up the chain of command.

I have known motors that develop countershaft seal leaks from too many wheelies or stunting. I hope this is not the case with yours. One outside shot is the seal can sometimes be replaced without splitting the cases, I don't know if this is possible with the 919 motor.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Repper

Year is a 2004, so I did buy it used. I'm not sure how the p/o abused it, but the bike had 10,500 miles on it when I bought it. I guess stunting is a possibility as when I bought they said it had a "new tail skin." I had actually forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

I looked over the warrenty and called them-seals and gaskets are not covered. But they said I could "sell back the warrenty" to gain some of the cash back, but I dont really want to do that in case something breaks that is covered.

As an update, the seal is in, but when they tore the motor apart, they found a couple other gaskets that were not fit to put back in the bike. Because of the workmanship guarentee if it leaks again, they have to fix it for free.

The down side is now I have to pay for a couple more gaskets and won't have the bike probably until next week.

As for contacting Honda, the delearship says they have contacted Honda to tell them about my problem and to see if maybe there was a recall for it. No luck there though.

I have everyones sympathies at the dealer, but that don't take the grand off my credit card.

Live and learn... Just wish I knew what I learned, lol.

As a side note, they do say I have my choice of oils to put in the bike, I take it that the recomendation is Repsol? The service guys recomended the Honda semi-synthetic saying it was made by Mobil 1, and something about being able to go back to regular oil? A bit off topic I know, but

post #8 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

In your first post there was no indication that the motor was already in pieces. I could have told you there was never any recall on the seal, the point being that part should never have failed under normal use. Only two ways this could happen, abuse or some strange defect (gear tolerances) from the factory. These motors are known to go 150k miles or more without any output seal leaking.

You better get one iron clad guarantee with the new seal in case it begins to leak in another 10k miles or less.

As far as oil goes insist on full synthetic ONLY!

post #9 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142

As far as oil goes insist on full synthetic ONLY!
Are you recommending that specifically for the above problem, or do you advise synthetic for anyone in any riding conditions?

It sounds like that bike was ridden hard... Hopefully not too hard (?)

post #10 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
Are you recommending that specifically for the above problem, or do you advise synthetic for anyone in any riding conditions?

It sounds like that bike was ridden hard... Hopefully not too hard (?)
Full synthetic for all riding conditions. Once you try it you will never go back. Repsol is the top of the line.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Tirone

They charged you a grand to drop a 919 motor and split the cases? Am I missing something? Was there other issues besides the seal?

post #12 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Immune

Ouch that sux.. sorry man.. hate to hear stuff like this..

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #13 of 16 Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Repper

RxRC:
No other issues besides the seals. Yes that's $1000 in labor alone... unless he misquoted me on the seal. Before I was notified of the additional seals the grand total was $1017. Not sure what the final damage will be.

M51142:
At the time of my first post, I'll I knew was that the part was on order. A couple hours later when I had a message on my answering machine was when I found out they had already opened her up. Sorry for the confusion.

My hope is that once this is over, I'll get the 150k miles without any more problems. I suppose my overall feeling is just disappointment. But barring any other problems I doubt it will take me long to get over it. (except for credit card bill day)

post #14 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM

Hey Repper,

What dealership did you buy from? I recall seeing a used 919 with about that mileage at AZSuperbike, that Ducati/Triumph dealership. It was a trade-in.

I bought mine at Town and Country accross the street from them, brand new 05 leftover. They were cool, and worked with me on the price, but since then they have proven to be too busy for their own good. HUGE dealership and it shows when you want something done or need to get a hold of anyone specifically. Voicemail every time.

Anyway, when you get it fixed I would be happy to start doing some rides to help you forget about the extra money you had to dump. I need to find some other naked bike riders around here...

post #15 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
Hey Repper,

I need to find some other naked bike riders around here...
yeah I'm looking for naked bike riders too.. preferably the attractive female kind... oh and it would be a bonus if they rode standard motorcycles...

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #16 of 16 Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Repper

Ortonomics:

I also saw the 919, at AZ Superbike. By the time I was ready to buy, it was sold. I got mine at North Valley Honda. Overall experience was great. The cost of the repair... well, not so great but I don't think I can really fault them.

I'm going to just let this go as my horrible luck and make do.

As for town and country, they are a part of the metro motorsports group. My complaints about that organization would be another thread entirely and this would probably be the wrong forum for it.

I get my bike back either Saturday or sometime next week. My weekends are fairly busy but I usually go to Buckets on Saturday nights or to the McDonalds Car Show at the Pavillions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode