New or used:tough call - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
hermit

New or used:tough call

I've been looking at several different models. Leaning toward the 919. It's a tough choice between the nice shiny new one or a used machine for thousands less. I looked at an 04 today. 5,000 miles. $4,500. The downside? It hasn't been serviced once since purchased. Still has the break in oil in it. Broken right front turn signal. Bent rear brake lever. Needs lens on the rear turn signal. Generally dirty condition. I just don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Easy call, don't buy that one! If the first owner was such an idiot not to change the first oil for $25, what other ways did they abuse it that could impact reliability? It's winter, you can find a screaming deal on a well kept one.

post #3 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site. I'd pass on that one personally. I've seen better deals. If you can do a new one what's stopping you?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
If you can do a new one what's stopping you?
Jim's right! If you can get a New 919 PO through the "front office", that's the best route. New comes with warranty service and ALL the Engineering Change Orders.

post #5 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM

You know, there are well kept used bikes out there. You could probably find an 04 919 that is pristine and has been well kept for $5500, instead of paying $4500 for one thats been beat on. I know it's hard to be patient, but it pays in the end.

post #6 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
hermit

I guess it's just the fact that just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should. My list of "wants" is longer than you would believe and there is only so much cash to go around. :001_smile: I'm looking at adding on to my shop this spring. somewhere around 1500 square feet more. My main passion is corvettes so all of this motorcycle stuff seems crazy cheap in comparison. How about $2500 for a clutch install. Be thankful. I'm really having fun getting caught up on the latest in the world of two wheels though. Amazing how easy it is to sit at the computer following links for 3 or 4 hours. Thank god for Google. This site is great.

post #7 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
hermit

Oh, and I forgot to mention the rusty chain. The owners husband told me he did adjust it though... Once.

post #8 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Ok you confirmed being a "comes with free-scratches" candidate (so was I).

post #9 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM

I found a new 03 on the floor last year and got a great deal. Perhaps there are more of those out there that could be found. It was 6900 out the door, more than low mi used, but I was able to break in the motor instead of trusting some unknown person that knows how to clean a bike but not ride one.

post #10 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
put your ad here

when it comes to motorcycles i wouldn't purchase used unless i knew the original owner (and knew they respected their bike).

jm2c

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
post #11 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
hermit

yea. You guys are probably right. I really do like the thought of buying new. And that candy red color in the sun was

post #12 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Blue Book trade-in on that bike is only 3890 and that's in god condition which obviously it is not. Based on your description I'd give him a 1,000 for it.

post #13 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Nine in the Sun

If you cant wait -- (I couldn't) -- Then get a new one, Like you said bikes are real inexpensive compared to Corvettes (or just cars in general) and a whole lot more fun. Who knows what that bike has been through. Lot's of benefits buying new. Last thing you want is to have the 9er sitting next to one of your vettes waiting for some kind of repair. Do you already have a bike?

post #14 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
I looked at an 04 today. 5,000 miles. $4,500. The downside? It hasn't been serviced once since purchased. Still has the break in oil in it. Broken right front turn signal. Bent rear brake lever. Needs lens on the rear turn signal. Generally dirty condition. I just don't know.
To me, that bike might as well be blown up. Never in a million years would I touch that bike. I tend to look at oil changes as being the most important thing you can do for your engine, 5000 miles and 3 years with the same oil sounds horrible. The bike has obviously been tipped over (at least), I am suprised there isn't more damage.

post #15 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 PM
hermit

Yea, it supposedly was dumped on a wet lawn. And no I don't have a bike now. I've just got the urge to get back into it.

post #16 of 63 Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 PM

don't touch it with a ten foot pole. WALK AWAY! WALK THE F AWAY!!!!

if all of that doesn't raise a red flag or 20 then buy it and cancel your account here cause I really don't have time to read posts about the lack of oil pressure or the stuck valve or the blah blah blah.

My time is very valuable and I don't appreciate posts that interfere with my day.

now of course it is hard to input sarcasm into a stupid computer but I was pretty serious about the walking the F away.

post #17 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I couldnt find a clean used one in the NJ area for under $5000, I went new for $7200.

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #18 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 03:59 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Welcome to the forum, hermit. Great place here as you can see.

Agreed - pass on that one! Maintenance neglect is a bad thing.

Unless money is not an object, the best financial move is to get one slightly/gently used. If you look around you can get into a late model 919 with less than a few K on it for MUCH less than a new one. That way someone else takes the depreciation hit and you pocket a grand or more for mods!

FWIW - I picked up an '06 with 700 miles on it for about $1500 less than new. First year depreciation is generally about 15-20% depending on make and model.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #19 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Unbannable

I'll make it easy for you.

Buy a new one because it comes with a piece of mind that you know it's been treated right, from the start.

post #20 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Come on guys. All used bikes aren't that bad. My first one was a 1998 ninja 250. That little thing even went to the track. The bike I have now is used. 2001 Ninja 500. Not a thing wrong with her. Just needed new tires and a carb cleaning. Only had 2800 miles when i got her. Since he is just getting back into riding why not go used? You know there is always a spill or two and I wouldn't want to spill it on my brand new bike. Just My Opinion.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #21 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Welcome and please dear sweet god do not buy that bike! Unless he offers it for about $2k, I wouldn't touch it.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #22 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Steve in Jacksonville, FL has a mint 06' for sale. Buy it, have Steve store it for the winter, fly down to FL in the spring and ride it home.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2513

post #23 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
fly down to FL in the spring and ride it home.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2513
Wow a 3,500 mile trip in the stock config would be tough! Steve should make him a screaming deal and the Buyer can log his trip on this site!

post #24 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Unbannable

I'll sell you mine for one million dollars. :euro:

post #25 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'd give him $3k for it.

post #26 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Well... I can't advise paying that amount ($4500) for a poorly maintained machine either.. but I bet with an oil change, and maybe another one the next day , a chain and some tires that bike would be fine... and only cuz it's a Honda. I say show up with like $2000 in cash.. maybe $2500 and see if she bites. I think I'd pay $2500 for it and take the chance it's ok because it comes from good genetics. Hell, ride it.. if it runs fine and goes it's probably fine! Was it stored inside at least? Make her agree to take the bike back within a time period.. say 1 or 2 weeks... not really a warranty, but as a guarantee of soundness. My point is, work out a deal that matches the situation. If the bike is fine than you come out ahead and love it. If the bike is spare parts.. then it's worth at least $2500 to the next guy as parts, cuz I would for sure pay $2500 for a running complete unwrecked 919 to use as parts or whatever.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #27 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
'02-919

I bought a used 919 this last spring. It had 636 mi on it and was in bone stock condition, complete with warning stickers. I had wondered about the effect the time would have on the gas, FI and what not. I assumed that it had never had an oil change. That being said, I changed the oil, plugs and charged the battery.
I put about 6k miles on it this season and the bike couldn't kick more ass. I say you ride it and see if you could get a good deal on it. If you think that it would just take a little TLC to make a solid bike, buy it.
-Motocycho is right.

post #28 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja View Post
You know there is always a spill or two and I wouldn't want to spill it on my brand new bike. Just My Opinion.
I never understood this logic. Either way if you wreck a new or used bike, you're going to want to fix it. It shouldn't cost more money to fix a used bike vs. new bike. (Unless you do what I did and wreck a month old bike that doesnt even have the spare plastics available to purchase for 5 weeks time=money)

If money is no object, then buy new. Peace of mind which everyone has expressed, can go a long way.

If money falls into the equation, which i'm guessing it does, buy a good used 919 and use the money saved for some mods. These bikes are meant to have the crap beat out of them and as long as it has NOT been neglected like the one you found, then used is the way to go.

post #29 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
hermit

Money is always an issue. Not because I can't afford it but because every dollar spent on that is one less for my other projects. I'm sure if I wait long enough I could find a nice used bike. By the way the asking price for the one in question was $5,200. Right. I also looked at an 01 Suzuki bandit 1200S. 15,000 miles that looked very well maintained. Could probably get into that one for around 4K. It just feels so heavy compared to the 919 or the Kawasaki Z750S which I was also looking at. As far as dropping a bike, I rode for many years and never laid one down so It's not inevitable that it will eventually end up on it's side. The closest I came was grabbing the front brake while going over a set of R/R tracks that crossed the road at an angle. That one puckered me pretty good.
It looks like I can pick up a new 06 for around $7,600. Lots of options.

post #30 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I started to post the link to the one in Florida during my first post, but knew it was pretty far away. But Mike got me thinking.

You buy it. I'll go pick it up and ride it to ...........oh......how about somewhere like Missouri. You fly in and take her the rest of the way. I just got new cold weather gear and need to try it out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #31 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM

I've never owned a japanese street bike that, no matter how neglected, couldn't be 100% rideable after a good tune up and lube, carb cleaning, new tires, a chain, a battery, and maybe a new set of clutch plates. Now I'll admit that these weren't sport bikes for the most part, but plenty of inline fours. Thats not saying that there aren't clapped out junk bikes out there; I think we'll all agree on that. Just keep in mind that jap bikes are tough and can take some abuse. I used to flog the snot out of my 1982 XS850 Special, which had 48,000 miles when I bought it. The oil looked like tar, the tires were bald, and it wouldn't hardly move under it's own power (caused by carbs full of gunk and a mouse nest in the air filter). A couple hundred dollars and a few late nights later it ran like a dream, rode great, and stayed that way for two years until I sold it. I agree with offering the guy $2500.

post #32 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
hermit

I don't think this one was abused as much as neglected. It sounds like most of the riding was local. Short commute to work. She didn't strike me as the kind of woman to be out scraping the pegs but you never know. The thing that amazes me is why someone would put any vehicle up for sale and not at least wash it.

post #33 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

There is a 2005 SV650 for sale on the classifieds that you may want to take a look at.

post #34 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think this one was abused as much as neglected. It sounds like most of the riding was local. Short commute to work. She didn't strike me as the kind of woman to be out scraping the pegs but you never know. The thing that amazes me is why someone would put any vehicle up for sale and not at least wash it.
Because people are LAZY! Plus, some people are too clueless to even realize that a good wash and a little attention to detail will make a sale. It sounds to me like a person that bought this bike to be able to say they own a bike and not much more. Now, all the attention they got from it has worn off and it doesn't do it for them anymore. It got negelcted because they didn't care about taking care of it, plain and simple.

Answer this: If the bike had been clean, with fresh oil on the chain and shiny rubber parts, even with the damage, would you have been more excited about it? I bet you would have. This person is obviously clueless to the attraction motorcyclists have to a well kept, clean machine. However, I can tell you that it is very rewarding to purchase a "less than perfect" machine for a song and bring it back to it's former glory. The first time someone says "Wow! That looks so much better than when you bought it!" or "Is that the same bike?!" you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.

post #35 of 63 Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 PM
hermit

If the price was right I'd be more interested in it but @ $4,500 it isn't a deal. I do kind of like that uranium color. different. The paint felt really rough though. Can you wax the matte colors the same as gloss?

post #36 of 63 Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM

Nope, the matte colors get washed and thats about it. It naturally is not as smooth as a gloss paint job. If it felt REALLY rough then it was probably either dirty or damaged for some reason.

post #37 of 63 Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I've been looking at several different models. Leaning toward the 919. It's a tough choice between the nice shiny new one or a used machine for thousands less. I looked at an 04 today. 5,000 miles. $4,500. The downside? It hasn't been serviced once since purchased. Still has the break in oil in it. Broken right front turn signal. Bent rear brake lever. Needs lens on the rear turn signal. Generally dirty condition. I just don't know.
2006 919 with 103 miles in OR -- starting bid $4K and BIN for $6900

Linky

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #38 of 63 Old 12-07-2006, 06:26 PM
hermit

Thanks for the link. About 120 miles from me. Over the mountain and through the snow.

post #39 of 63 Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

...to grandmother's house we go...

hey, it's the right season

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #40 of 63 Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Thanks for the link. About 120 miles from me. Over the mountain and through the snow.
120 miles.. so its close right? let us know about your almost new bike soon.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode