New member, time for a little 919 TLC - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By happymachinist

post #1 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

New member, time for a little 919 TLC

Hi All,

New member here, I've followed this forum for a while and finally joined. This winter I've decided it's time to give my 03' 919 a little makeover.

I bought it pretty much as pictured 5 years ago and other than reworking the exhaust mounts, and blacking out a few things.

My winter plans are to lose the dual exhaust in favor of a lower mounted single sided exit. (My 919 is in the stinker camp.)

I also plan on powder coating the swing arm, rear set, sub frame, triple clamps, rear grab bar ect...and install some new front signals.

My question is am I ok to hold the rear end of the bike up via the grab bar when I remove the swing arm and other rear parts for coating? To me it looks mechanically sound enough being held by 4 8mm shcs. Essentially I will be hanging it from the rafters.

I realize these bikes on the forum don't have the buzz they once did, but I still love the chit out of mine and look forward to your input, I might turn this in to a mini build thread if all goes to plan.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Welcome, I don't have an answer about hanging it but somebody here has to have tried it

Dan
post #3 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Riding Naked All The Time

NO! Too many examples of the mount of the grab handle breaking to support the weight of the bike from. No center-stand?

2004 919 Uranium

post #4 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Tesserarius

When you go low mounted exhaust DIBS on your carbon fiber sati racing cans.

welcome to the forum, they say flat black 02 niners are the fastest.

post #5 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Robert

Garage
Sweet bike!

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #6 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Princeps Prior

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend not lifting the bike by the grab rail as those tabs are weak points on the bike. People break the tabs off of the frame just with luggage.

post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
NO! Too many examples of the mount of the grab handle breaking to support the weight of the bike from. No center-stand?
Ok, glad i asked. No center stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend not lifting the bike by the grab rail as those tabs are weak points on the bike. People break the tabs off of the frame just with luggage.
Yeah after slipping the seat cowl back and looking the grab bar doesn't bolt to much.

Might have to time coating around exhaust removal and replacement, then I can get a floor jack under the bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

post #8 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Supporting the bike when doing any sort of work with the wheels and suspension can be an iffy proposition if it does not have a center stand, usually involving a piece of wood under the sidestand and a jack or jack stand under the footpeg mount on the other side. There is an alternative in the Phobstand: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...buy-44466.html
Very secure due to its wide base and being positively pinned to the mount bosses for the OEM centerstand. Another advantage is unlike most paddock stands it does not support under the swingarm, making wheel, peg mounts, swingarm, frame side plates, and shock work easy. Also it can be bolted to a heavy wheeled furniture dolly to enable very easy moving as opposed to having to reassemble it before moving. Very handy if it will be the centerpiece of your workspace for too long a time! Work on it, then put it in its corner where inadvertent damage is much less likely.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

FYI, those are the best sounding cans on a 919, I don't care what anyone says. They are more rare than Ohlins gold, don't you dare sell them!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 31 Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

Good plans, still a great bike no matter if buzz has died down, make sure to post before/after photos

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #11 of 31 Old 11-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
FYI, those are the best sounding cans on a 919, I don't care what anyone says. They are more rare than Ohlins gold, don't you dare sell them!!!
Sabotage!!

But really he's right. I've got first generation titanium Satos. And the only thing is sell them for is carbon Satos lol.

post #12 of 31 Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Supporting the bike when doing any sort of work with the wheels and suspension can be an iffy proposition if it does not have a center stand, usually involving a piece of wood under the sidestand and a jack or jack stand under the footpeg mount on the other side. There is an alternative in the Phobstand: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...buy-44466.html
Very secure due to its wide base and being positively pinned to the mount bosses for the OEM centerstand. Another advantage is unlike most paddock stands it does not support under the swingarm, making wheel, peg mounts, swingarm, frame side plates, and shock work easy. Also it can be bolted to a heavy wheeled furniture dolly to enable very easy moving as opposed to having to reassemble it before moving. Very handy if it will be the centerpiece of your workspace for too long a time! Work on it, then put it in its corner where inadvertent damage is much less likely.

Rob
Well Im probably going to catch hell for this, but I had to remove part of the center stand mount to make room for my exhaust mount, so kinda out. I have been looking into designing something either for my floor jack or ATV jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
Sabotage!!

But really he's right. I've got first generation titanium Satos. And the only thing is sell them for is carbon Satos lol.
That's what I've noticed. They do sound good, I've gotten lots of compliments on their sound. But you know everything's for sale if the price is right

post #13 of 31 Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well since I mentioned in the previous post that I had to cut a portion of the center stand off I suppose it's time for a little update.

I have the old Satos removed and relocated the license plate under the tail.

Inspired by Wolf I decided to go the route of the Yamaha R6 cat delete kit.

Here's the kit trimmed up.

This is what remains of the center stand mount. I also shaved the O2 censor bung down. I plan on using this as a mounting point.

Made a plug and a mount. I plan on grinding the weld on the bung flat and welding the mount to what's left of the bung.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Looks like you have a good idea of what you are doing. Nice work, keep us posted!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-23-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well I was finally able to make it over to my buddy's place to fit and tack the exhaust in place. (I only have a MIG welder.) After tacked in place I took it off back purged and welded it out.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I really wanted to make my own can and still might, some day but time is getting short.

I didn't want to copy Wolf exactly but as the project progressed I'm not sure any other muffler will fit. (I ordered both pieces separately.)

I didn't get any pictures from behind but it sticks out further than I want it to. I'm going to try to tweak the M4 so the mounting bracket will fit on the inside of the passenger peg mount.

What little I rode it around town and on the highway I like the sound. It's a nice deep mellow sound. The old Satos were louder and more raspy, at least from my perspective. It's hard to tell with the different pipe locations and the new exhaust pointing away from me what the sound difference is to the rest of the world.

So far I like it, though.

post #16 of 31 Old 11-23-2015, 02:52 AM
Princeps Prior

Nice work. The Satos sound like that because they need repacked.

post #17 of 31 Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Nice work. The Satos sound like that because they need repacked.
Yeah, I have wondered if they've needed repacked since I bought the bike.

How many miles are you guys getting before repacking?

post #18 of 31 Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
Yeah, I have wondered if they've needed repacked since I bought the bike.

How many miles are you guys getting before repacking?
I repacked mine at 17k miles because they were sounding really course and raspy. The factory packing was hard and dense as hell and wondered how that media could have been absorbing any sound at all. But no sign whatsoever that any of it had disintegrated or blown out - don't know how it could possibly have. I repacked them with $12.50 worth of fiberglass and a couple bucks worth of steel wool and rivets. Now, 3500 miles later still sounding smooth, deep and mellow as Day 1 after repack. Would do them the same way in a heartbeat if the sound ever goes to shit.

post #19 of 31 Old 11-24-2015, 12:04 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Nice welding.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #20 of 31 Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Ian

Looks great! Nice work.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-25-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
I repacked mine at 17k miles because they were sounding really course and raspy. The factory packing was hard and dense as hell and wondered how that media could have been absorbing any sound at all. But no sign whatsoever that any of it had disintegrated or blown out - don't know how it could possibly have. I repacked them with $12.50 worth of fiberglass and a couple bucks worth of steel wool and rivets. Now, 3500 miles later still sounding smooth, deep and mellow as Day 1 after repack. Would do them the same way in a heartbeat if the sound ever goes to shit.
Good deal. The bike had 9ish thousand when I bought it. I'm up to 22,000. So the Satos have at least 13,000. They are probably ready for a repack.

post #22 of 31 Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Nice welding.
Thanks, I went nice and slow to try to keep the distortion down. The way my luck usually goes I get it all tacked up nice and it pulls one way or the other when I weld it out.

I'm not sure what the OEM exhaust is made of but it was less than ideal to work with. I'm a toolmaker by trade not a welder, so I do the best I can.

post #23 of 31 Old 12-07-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

This weekend I had a little time to get to the bike.

I removed the peg brackets, side brackets and swingarm to powder coat them black.

Didn't have time to get to the swingarm or the side brackets but did get the peg brackets coated.
Jonstrocity likes this.

post #24 of 31 Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

I used to have black powdercoated rear-sets... That is until a member here stole then from me.

2004 919 Uranium

post #25 of 31 Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococnc View Post
I used to have black powdercoated rear-sets... That is until a member here stole then from me.
Sorry to hear that.

post #26 of 31 Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well, over the weekend, I had a chance to blast and powder coat a few more parts.

I also got the bearings pressed back in but didn't get any pictures of that progress. The needle bearing was sure "fun."

I'm waiting on the four seals for the swing arm bearings and I can slap it back together...well that and some much needed cleaning...then I can start assembly.

post #27 of 31 Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

[IMG]http://

Another little update. Seals came in and with help from a buddy (so the newly coated parts didnt get scratched) we reassembled the the bike.

The last picture is how she looks now until after the first of the year when I can get to the front.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

post #28 of 31 Old 12-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Tirone

Looks really good! Kind of where I'm going with mine. Got everything powder coated but the swing arm and the brackets. They are just plastidiped for now.

Question, do you think I'll have problems with getting the bearings in and out? I have little experience with extracting/replacing them and it sounds like you had some problems. I'm sure I can find some YouTube how to videos but don't want to f anything up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150817_163113_1451158334495.jpg (156.1 KB, 37 views)

post #29 of 31 Old 12-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Princeps Prior

Nice work. Making me want to do the same to my bike this winter.

post #30 of 31 Old 01-03-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333jim333 View Post
Looks really good! Kind of where I'm going with mine. Got everything powder coated but the swing arm and the brackets. They are just plastidiped for now.

Question, do you think I'll have problems with getting the bearings in and out? I have little experience with extracting/replacing them and it sounds like you had some problems. I'm sure I can find some YouTube how to videos but don't want to f anything up.
Nice looking bike, can't beat a blacked out 919 if you ask me.

I wouldnt say I had trouble but it's not for the faint of heart. The pita part for me was the needle bearing on the drive side. I'm no expert and others might be able to weigh in with some advice.

The other side is just a pair of radial ball bearings held against a shoulder with a snap ring. (With a light press fit) Remove the snap ring and drive them out from the shoulder side.

As far as the needle bearing goes when I first attempted to drive it out with my Taiwan socket set and a few light taps with my big brass hammer it wouldn't budge.

I don't like beating the sh*t out of stuff so I used my hand held propane torch to heat the surrounding area of the swingarm to 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit. That expanded the aluminum enough that I could persuade the bearing out without having to go nuts with my hammer.

With everything disassembled I was ready to coat but curiosity got the best of me and I measured the bearing and bore, that's when I found that there is a .0047" press fit!

To reassemble I made an alignment tool that fit the ID of the bearing and the ID of the bore. I put the swingarm back in my oven at 250 degrees to expand the bore.

Once the swingarm was up to temp i pulled it out using my cotton high temp gloves and scurried over to my vise to press the bearing back in with my alignment tool.

post #31 of 31 Old 01-04-2016, 06:04 AM
Tirone

Thanks for the reply. I think ill give it a go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode