Looks really good! Kind of where I'm going with mine. Got everything powder coated but the swing arm and the brackets. They are just plastidiped for now.
Question, do you think I'll have problems with getting the bearings in and out? I have little experience with extracting/replacing them and it sounds like you had some problems. I'm sure I can find some YouTube how to videos but don't want to f anything up.
Nice looking bike, can't beat a blacked out 919 if you ask me.
I wouldnt say I had trouble but it's not for the faint of heart. The pita part for me was the needle bearing on the drive side. I'm no expert and others might be able to weigh in with some advice.
The other side is just a pair of radial ball bearings held against a shoulder with a snap ring. (With a light press fit) Remove the snap ring and drive them out from the shoulder side.
As far as the needle bearing goes when I first attempted to drive it out with my Taiwan socket set and a few light taps with my big brass hammer it wouldn't budge.
I don't like beating the sh*t out of stuff so I used my hand held propane torch to heat the surrounding area of the swingarm to 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit. That expanded the aluminum enough that I could persuade the bearing out without having to go nuts with my hammer.
With everything disassembled I was ready to coat but curiosity got the best of me and I measured the bearing and bore, that's when I found that there is a .0047" press fit!
To reassemble I made an alignment tool that fit the ID of the bearing and the ID of the bore. I put the swingarm back in my oven at 250 degrees to expand the bore.
Once the swingarm was up to temp i pulled it out using my cotton high temp gloves and scurried over to my vise to press the bearing back in with my alignment tool.