New member...New to Me 919....fuel issues? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 15 Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New member...New to Me 919....fuel issues?

Hey everybody, thanks for a great forum. I just moved across the country and started shopping for a bike here in Florida. I found a 2003 919 with 18k on it for $2k. It was a little rough on the eyes but rode fine so I bought it. I rode it for a week with no issues then on the way to work it started bogging down or surging. I thought it was low on fuel and maybe the light just didn’t work, so I filled it up and it didn’t help. I added seafoam to the gas and was able to get it home. Thanks to this site, I then ordered a fuel pressure regulator and installed it. Now with a full tank it runs ok, but it still starts surging again after 45 mins or so of riding. I changed the plugs (looked like aftermarket wires) and the old plugs looked fine. I’m going to order a new tank as this one is a little rusty inside. I assume my next step is to change the fuel filter....is there anything else I should check? Also, the odometer lights up but has a dark spot in the middle of it, is there anything I can do about that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Power Commander? If so, unplug it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 15 Old 07-25-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

No Power Commander, best I can tell it’s all stock.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 PM
919 Rider

Makes sure your tank is venting OK. Open fuel cap carefully once bike starts surging. Is there a vacuum?
If your tank is rusty the in-tank fuel filter could be full of crap. Before the pump is a strainer and after the pump is a filter. Replace them both.
LDH and badmoon692008 like this.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Tesserarius

These bikes have been known to have the occasional Fuel Pressure Regulator problem.

Fuel filter should have stopped any rust, theoretically.

The 919 is fairly simple and robust. You'll get it fixed.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Does anyone have a part number for the strainer? On partzilla it looks like that is only included in the whole assembly.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 05:53 PM
919 Rider

You should be able to clean the strainer. Wash it.
Also make sure your fuel return line is working.
Have you checked tank venting? There should be no vacuum when opening filler cap after running bike.
I also brought a 919 with a very rusty tank. The bike still ran but rough. The in-tank filter was full of a fine red/brown mud. It's a paper filter. Some of this superfine mud had even made its way into the basket filters built into the injectors. I replaced and cleaned entire fuel system, including pump. But I would just start with the filter in your case.
I brought a new tank also. Later I had a go at removing the rust from the old tank and had great success using a foaming corrosive toilet cleaner. I removed tank, took out pump, blocked of tank filler hole with a Styrofoam plug, filled tank with toilet cleaner and warm water. Left for several hours, rinsed very well, dried and sprayed a heap of WD40 into tank. Pretty much removed all rust.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
You should be able to clean the strainer. Wash it.
Also make sure your fuel return line is working.
Have you checked tank venting? There should be no vacuum when opening filler cap after running bike.
I also brought a 919 with a very rusty tank. The bike still ran but rough. The in-tank filter was full of a fine red/brown mud. It's a paper filter. Some of this superfine mud had even made its way into the basket filters built into the injectors. I replaced and cleaned entire fuel system, including pump. But I would just start with the filter in your case.
I brought a new tank also. Later I had a go at removing the rust from the old tank and had great success using a foaming corrosive toilet cleaner. I removed tank, took out pump, blocked of tank filler hole with a Styrofoam plug, filled tank with toilet cleaner and warm water. Left for several hours, rinsed very well, dried and sprayed a heap of WD40 into tank. Pretty much removed all rust.
What was the "foaming corrosive toilet cleaner" you used?
And is it caustic or acid based?
(I'm guessing caustic)

post #9 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 PM
919 Rider

This is the product. Harpic. Stripped out the rust, didn't seem to touch the metal. Acidic I think.
I used half a bottle. It foamed up pretty fierce so once it settled I topped it up with more warm water. Left it in the sun for about 4 hours. The rust was very bad. The bike had sat for several years in a shed with no fuel in it and condensation had done a number on it. In places the rust was so bad it had formed a scale and mild pitting. All gone. The inside was bare clean steel. The tank did want to flash rust once it was all cleaned out so I quickly dried it with a hair dryer and flooded it with WD40. It's sitting in the shed now with oil in it. Just a spare.
I got the idea from the internet. It's difficult where I live to get anything but common products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180727_114939-1_1532656240756.jpg (151.7 KB, 7 views)

post #10 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
This is the product. Harpic. Stripped out the rust, didn't seem to touch the metal. Acidic I think.
I used half a bottle. It foamed up pretty fierce so once it settled I topped it up with more warm water. Left it in the sun for about 4 hours. The rust was very bad. The bike had sat for several years in a shed with no fuel in it and condensation had done a number on it. In places the rust was so bad it had formed a scale and mild pitting. All gone. The inside was bare clean steel. The tank did want to flash rust once it was all cleaned out so I quickly dried it with a hair dryer and flooded it with WD40. It's sitting in the shed now with oil in it. Just a spare.
I got the idea from the internet. It's difficult where I live to get anything but common products.
Benzenesulfonic acid, mono-C10-16-alkyl derivatives, sodium salts

Sounds like vicious stuff!
LDH likes this.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM
919 Rider

Ooh yeah. Vicious. And considering where it gets used there really should be a drawing of a d**k getting melted as well!
I don't recommend chucking random corrosive chemicals into a fuel tank. I'm pretty sure there are some job specific products out there. I just grabbed what was at hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180727_124919-1_1532659842553.jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)

post #12 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Finally got around to taking this thing apart, I think I found my problem. It was an aftermarket fuel pump too...I may just replace the entire assembly. How far, is too far gone? I already have a new tank, lines, and fuel filter coming today. The pump runs, It was moto plus brand zip tied up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5EE2AD0F-1E15-45E9-B7C1-0E569ECF9359_1555945685930.jpg (114.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 56246B4B-567B-4295-AC5F-A72E46078291_1555945737970.jpg (145.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 56D95A5A-568A-45A6-A263-3F3A520F5B83_1555945788058.jpg (155.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CDAC29E2-D26E-4C69-A37F-5BE7DEEE51F4_1555946176675.jpg (123.7 KB, 11 views)

post #13 of 15 Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 AM
919 Rider

I had the exact same problem. I'd say your pump assembly is too far gone, a lot of the zinc coating has gone. You might be able to clean it up? But why put something like that into a new tank.
I found a really good, clean pump assembly unit secondhand. I also bought an aftermarket pump unit, still working fine. I have since found a new unit. Was on eBay and I got that cheap too. Got a few spares these days.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update: Local shop had it for 3 months, said they couldn't figure it out. Got it back, searched forum, on a whim I pulled out the thermostat.......intermittent stuck open....never even thought of that

post #15 of 15 Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 PM
yeah nah nah nah yeah nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
Update: Local shop had it for 3 months, said they couldn't figure it out. Got it back, searched forum, on a whim I pulled out the thermostat.......intermittent stuck open....never even thought of that
Which forum post made you decide to try that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode