New Member/New Owner! - Wrist Twisters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
New Member/New Owner!

Hi all! I just bought a new 919 yesterday and was looking for some information and stumbled across this forum. It's going to be great to get to know you all and be able to pick your minds about my new ride. First, allow me to introduce myself and my deal

I'm near 40 years old and have been riding motorcycles since I was 13. Most of my riding was in my teenage years and my early 20's, so I still have a LOT to learn. In addition, most of my riding is limited to dual-purpose bikes ridden in a "somewhat" tame fashion. I have a little (very little) experience on a '82 Honda 750 Custom that my dad used to have but that's been years ago.

Anyway, several years and a couple of kids later, I got the urge to ride again. I have an '89 Yamaha XT 350 that hasn't been ridden in years, because it's a pain to crank and the wife and I cannot both fit on it very well. This got me to thinking about a new dual-purpose bike.

Saturday, I went to look at a new KLR 650, but they didn't have one of the showroom floor. Then, I saw a Suzuki V-Strom and fell in love with how the bike felt (I'm no all that tall 5'10", but have very long legs for my height). Anyway, I went yesterday to test drive one and quickly decided that I didn't like it as well as I thought.

A stop by the Honda shop revealed a number of '07 Honda 919's. At first, I dismissed them (okay, don't flame me...but I thought the front-end was a little hideous at first), but then I sat down on one and it felt good. Took a used one on a test drive and came back grinning ear to ear! Long story short, after some quick reevaluation of my actual driving habits, I signed on the dotted line and now she's mine!

Got the bike for $6,579 new and bought helmets, jackets, ext. warranties, maintenance contracts, etc. (wow...that's adds up quick doesn't it ).

Anyway, here I am. I'm sure I'll be asking the same tired old questions that everybody has asked before, but I'm really looking forward to learn from you all. I've already noticed some of the same problems that plague others...handlebar vibration and a hard seat. That said, any advice for somewhat of a newb?

BTW, the bike seems to hop some even on good roads...is this normal? Could it be tires that have been sitting for a couple of years? Will it go away?

trekker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Legalize it please?
 
BigMike919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Up State
Posts: 1,176
Rep Power: 1
 
Do a search for seat mods and you'll find some cool chit. Tire hop? My old man's 69 Road Runner use to do that if it sat too long, but that was the technology of the tires... this is a new one (to me). Ask any one that had a 06 or 07, and they'll tell you the stock tires blow. I love the hell out of my 2CT's...

Good luck with the Bike and Welcome!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
BigMike919 is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM
GLG-20
 
Superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,362
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Welcome, from another 40'ish 919 newb, also with a dual-sport background. What part of TN? I'm in northern AL.

Superdog is offline  
post #4 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Welcome, from another 40'ish 919 newb, also with a dual-sport background. What part of TN? I'm in northern AL.
About halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, but I was raised near Gadsden, AL and have lived in both Huntsville and a little place west of there called Anderson. What part of Alabama are you in?

trekker is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
Do a search for seat mods and you'll find some cool chit. Tire hop? My old man's 69 Road Runner use to do that if it sat too long, but that was the technology of the tires... this is a new one (to me). Ask any one that had a 06 or 07, and they'll tell you the stock tires blow. I love the hell out of my 2CT's...

Good luck with the Bike and Welcome!
Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. BTW, I'm not even sure if it's wheel hop, maybe the bike's still "tight" or maybe it's just me. I've only driven it home yesterday (about 60 miles) and about 20 minutes this afternoon between rain showers. Now, for some pretty weather!

trekker is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Legalize it please?
 
BigMike919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Up State
Posts: 1,176
Rep Power: 1
 
It took me a while to get use to the suspension on the 9er... It was the first "street" bike I have ever owned... I had cruisers before my 919 and i swear i could feel if i ran over the dotted yellow lines!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
BigMike919 is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
It took me a while to get use to the suspension on the 9er... It was the first "street" bike I have ever owned... I had cruisers before my 919 and i swear i could feel if i ran over the dotted yellow lines!
That could be a part of my problem...the bike does seem to pitch back and forth a lot more than any bike I've ever ridden before. Then again, I've never ridden a bike like this either.

Off the subject, anything that I should be concerned about with a bike that's been potentially sitting on the showroom floor for 2-3 years?

trekker is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Legalize it please?
 
BigMike919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Up State
Posts: 1,176
Rep Power: 1
 
Other then those dam tires, not that i have seen/ heard of... I bought my 07 last year in august and the only problem i have had was I lost one of the bar end weights! They are going to back out and before they do, lock tight the holy hell out of em! Some guys said they lost their shifter peg, so it coulden't hurt to lock tight that bad girl too. I have 8,400 mile on it in alittle more than a year, and have no complaints. The stock tires were anoying, and i love the new 2ct's, but I got 5,000 mile out of the Hi Sports... some guys got 3,000. depends on how you ride i guess!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
BigMike919 is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome trek, excellent intro. Congrats on the new ride. The hop doesn't sound right. I have on 07 and never noticed it. Since its new may be worth taking it back in to get it checked out. Maybe the tire balance is out of whack.

Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

marylandmike is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
Other then those dam tires, not that i have seen/ heard of... I bought my 07 last year in august and the only problem i have had was I lost one of the bar end weights! They are going to back out and before they do, lock tight the holy hell out of em! Some guys said they lost their shifter peg, so it coulden't hurt to lock tight that bad girl too. I have 8,400 mile on it in alittle more than a year, and have no complaints. The stock tires were anoying, and i love the new 2ct's, but I got 5,000 mile out of the Hi Sports... some guys got 3,000. depends on how you ride i guess!
Thanks for the advice, sounds like I need some Lock Tight. You've mentioned the tires a couple of times. What's wrong with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Welcome trek, excellent intro. Congrats on the new ride. The hop doesn't sound right. I have on 07 and never noticed it. Since its new may be worth taking it back in to get it checked out. Maybe the tire balance is out of whack.

Enjoy your new ride and be safe.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I might just call the shop, just to make sure. When I closed the deal it was late and they were preparing to close. They only spent about 20-30 minutes getting the bike ready to go, so I'm wondering if they checked it out thoroughly enough.

trekker is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 AM
GLG-20
 
Superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,362
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
About halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, but I was raised near Gadsden, AL and have lived in both Huntsville and a little place west of there called Anderson. What part of Alabama are you in?
Huntsville. Maybe there's a Tennessee Valley group on here somewhere.

I got a used bike, so not a good comparison, but haven't noticed any hop or anything odd from the rear tire. Probably should get it checked out. You could do a quick sanity check on it yourself. Look at the guides on the swingarm to make sure the tire is on straight. Look at the tire itself in case there's anything obvious; maybe now that you've ridden it some the wear might show a slight imperfection

If it's a constant hopping feeling, maybe the rear wheel is out of balance?

Just thoughts. Best of luck, and enjoy the new ride. I'm waiting for it to quit raining too!

Superdog is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
tire hop

If it is constant problem that varies with speed, I'd be checking the tires.

If you mean the suspension kicks you...yep, it's not a particularly good setup. When I was first riding the bike, I hit bump in a corner at speed, and I bet it hopped sideways 2 feet, and drifted another foot before it set. There is a local company, RICOR (google them, if you're interested...watch the videos), that has done wonders for suspensions both on- and off-road. He fitted Citroen with the Inertia valves, and they went from breathing dust from Mitsubishi Rally cars to sweeping the series....the shock was the only change. He has Paris-to-Dakar experience, as well as paved racing track experience.

They've revolutionized the lowly KLR650 to a top-tier Adventure Touring bike. They've improved many other bike suspensions, and are adding to the list every day. Sportster racing bikes and V-Stroms are done, BMW GS is in the works, as is potentially some KTM models.

The principle has the patent on the Multilink suspensions from 1974, and he is willing to fix our 919 mess, if there is sufficient interest. They've already ridden my bike, and were surprised how much better the suspension should be. But, I haven't been able to generate a single email that anyone is interested.

I just got finished riding an SV650 that they've fitted with their Inertia valve front and rear, and it will run rings around our beloved 919. On that same bump I mentioned above, the SV did NOT hop, and held it's line at the same speed. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but, it's the real deal.

The 919 chassis isn't a racing chassis by any means, but, the suspension really needs to be improved.

Is there anyone interested in upgrading to a technology that only one other shock company has on the market? (The top of the line Edelbrock uses the RICOR Inertia valve.)

Blackheart is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Praefectus Castrorum
 
brevity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 4,392
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome, trekker! We like all kinds of bikes on here, although I personally think you picked a dandy.

That tire hop sounds interestingly peculiar. I've never experienced anything like that. I wouldn't think the tires would degrade over two years, but who knows how that thing was stored (still in the crate, etc...). It could be the twitchy nature of the throttle, coupled with the lackluster suspension, that is causing what you might be describing. Either way, don't sweat it. Whatever it is can be easily fixed--these bikes are practically bullet-proof.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Is there anyone interested in upgrading to a technology that only one other shock company has on the market?
Sure.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

brevity is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Tirone??
 
Gotsteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 347
Rep Power: 1
 
Welcome to Wristtwsiters!

I would check out the tires for rot, they have been sitting for quite some time. Also, take some time to get the suspension dialed in for your weight with all of your gear on, it is worth the time.

Secondly, don't forget the lock tight on the bar ends! I did not follow the advice about the lock tight on this forum, and ended up buying some new bar ends!

Enjoy your new bike!

2006 Honda 919


States visited on my 919
Gotsteam is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Welcome!

As others have said: The OEM tyres are crap, possible tyre rot, wheels possibly needs re-balancing. Dial in the suspension for your weight, etc. or get it done. The OEM rear suspension on the 919 is budget - that's about the only crap item on the bike - some replace the rear suspension with an aftermarket unit. The front forks are good and are modify-able (better spring kits, etc).

Farab is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Sure.
Well, there's you and I. We've doubled the number of people interested.

Check out the SV650 forum for what those guys are going to be saying about their RICOR suspensions, as it will be released very shortly. Maybe there will be more interest when it's obvious the SV650 handles better than the CB919.

Blackheart is offline  
post #17 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Newfie
 
karlb63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 322
Rep Power: 1
 
Dump the stock tires,

SERIOUSLY.

I recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 2 ct's for 1st choice and the Metzeler Roadtec Z6's as second for a lot of driving or 2 up's. The Z'6 will give you near 10k on both and the Road 2's are still looking great at 12k. The front is starting to get slim but I think I can get another 3k outa them.

As a commuter I look for the best mileage/cost/performance.

Roadtec's are great in the rain, but were not the most forgiving in the corners. My cost was just over $300 for both tires installed at the dealer.

Pilot Road 2's feels more comfortable all over and have no problems cornering on the street. I actually scraped my right peg yesterday (not stock) for the first time with the Road 2's, and I felt I could go some more. My cost was $380 for both installed by the dealer.

Compared to the "stock" rubber, these tires are more expensive. However, they are not extreme in price and will provide a more confident and reliable experience no matter what road you decide to venture upon.

karlb63 is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post
Welcome to Wristtwsiters!

I would check out the tires for rot, they have been sitting for quite some time. Also, take some time to get the suspension dialed in for your weight with all of your gear on, it is worth the time.

Secondly, don't forget the lock tight on the bar ends! I did not follow the advice about the lock tight on this forum, and ended up buying some new bar ends!

Enjoy your new bike!
I can freely turn either bar end by hand in a direction that should tighten them, but they never get any tighter...is that normal? Does the lock tight go on the screw that's in the middle of the bar end or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Welcome!

As others have said: The OEM tyres are crap, possible tyre rot, wheels possibly needs re-balancing. Dial in the suspension for your weight, etc. or get it done. The OEM rear suspension on the 919 is budget - that's about the only crap item on the bike - some replace the rear suspension with an aftermarket unit. The front forks are good and are modify-able (better spring kits, etc).
What's the best way to properly adjust the suspension? I'm about 175 pounds with gear on and I would like to the bike to ride a little softer than it does now. I don't plan to be anywhere close to dropping the knee or scraping the pegs anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
Dump the stock tires,

SERIOUSLY.

I recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 2 ct's for 1st choice and the Metzeler Roadtec Z6's as second for a lot of driving or 2 up's. The Z'6 will give you near 10k on both and the Road 2's are still looking great at 12k. The front is starting to get slim but I think I can get another 3k outa them.

As a commuter I look for the best mileage/cost/performance.

Roadtec's are great in the rain, but were not the most forgiving in the corners. My cost was just over $300 for both tires installed at the dealer.

Pilot Road 2's feels more comfortable all over and have no problems cornering on the street. I actually scraped my right peg yesterday (not stock) for the first time with the Road 2's, and I felt I could go some more. My cost was $380 for both installed by the dealer.

Compared to the "stock" rubber, these tires are more expensive. However, they are not extreme in price and will provide a more confident and reliable experience no matter what road you decide to venture upon.
I know a lot of people here have suggested replacing the tires. What's wrong with them? Do they have bad traction in the rain, slip in the corners or what?

trekker is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better
 
starman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 268
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
I can freely turn either bar end by hand in a direction that should tighten them, but they never get any tighter...is that normal? Does the lock tight go on the screw that's in the middle of the bar end or what?
Yes, unscrew that bolt to remove the bar end from the threaded inner weight. Put some blue locktite or Permatex blue onto the bolt, re-install, and re-tighten. It's pretty easy to see how the bar ends mate with the piece on the inside. 2 minutes and you're done.

But don't panic over it. A replacement OEM bar end is only about $10.

I'll let others speak in detail about their hatred of the stock tires. The general impression is that the stock Bridgestones are plain awful, and the stock Michelin Hi-Sports are only just barely better. I've only replaced the Hi-Sport in the rear, but that's because I picked up a nail in the bike's first 400 miles. I took the suggestion here to replace it with a Michelin Pilot Road 2.

One thing you should do is check to see how old the tires are. There's a 4-digit number inset into a little oval in each tire, like "3906", which would mean the tire was made in the 39th week of 2006. If your tires are from 2005, all the more reason to replace them sooner rather than later. Tires dry out and become hard, brittle, and not at all sticky.

starman is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
I'm no suspension expert, but some on here have dailed the preset right up along with stiffer dampening. Do a search, there are a few threads kicking around. Best is to take it to someone that actually knows what they are doing!

Farab is offline  
post #21 of 49 Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
, I was actually thinking about softening the damping. I'm not on a racetrack and the roads around here will beat you to death!

trekker is offline  
post #22 of 49 Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
BTW, what should the OEM toolkit come with? Mine only came with a cable for the helmet lock and one allen wrench. Not even a wrench for adjusting the preload of the back shock. Is this normal? Or am I missing a few tools?

trekker is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
BTW, what should the OEM toolkit come with? Mine only came with a cable for the helmet lock and one allen wrench. Not even a wrench for adjusting the preload of the back shock. Is this normal? Or am I missing a few tools?
Definately incomplete! It should include a preload spanner.

Farab is offline  
post #24 of 49 Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Trekker,
Welcome to the club, 919s that is.
Great bike, and mine is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be, a modern day version of my 73 CB750.
Now to your suspension comments and experience to date.
The 919 is actually lightly sprung, and as long as the rebound screws are not in too far, fairly lightly damped as well.
How much rear spring preload are you running ?
Near full soft or near full hard?
My guess is that your are running the recommended tire pressures.
DON'T
There's actually supposed to be a fair bit of "chassis" or "suspension" in your tire carcass.
There isn't a tire around that will give it to you if you run the insane numbers Honda tells you to use.
To say nothing of giving up grip as well.
For solo riding try 33 in the front, and 35 in the rear, cold pressures those are, as in pre-ride pressures.
For two up, try 33-34 in the front, and 37.5 to 39 in the back.
The recommended pressures Honda says to use, are the pressures specified for the maximum load the tire is rated to carry, and has nothing to do with real world.
I had Michelin Pilot Roads, but now use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT because of all the track days I'm now doing. My wife does lots of two up time with me on the back of the 919. When she is on, I run 33/37.5. Solo on the road I run 32/35. At the track I run 31/30.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Now to your suspension comments and experience to date.
The 919 is actually lightly sprung, and as long as the rebound screws are not in too far, fairly lightly damped as well.
.
The RICOR suspension folks just did a Pensky-ectomy on the SV650 and put their Intertia Valve technology in the fork and rear shock. The bike won by 23 seconds, and was immediately impounded for examination of the engine. It was the suspension that made the difference, nothing else. The racer, (David Raff I believe is his name) reports the same thing I felt when I tested it...no hopping over bumps through the turns....something my CB does like a rabbit.

If we can get enough people that ride a 919 to get interested in the RICOR team to address the 919 suspension, we could actually have a nice-handling bike, in spite of the chassis weakness. It is NOT good the way it is set up...not compared to what it could be.

So far, there's only me and one other that has even expressed interest.

Blackheart is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
I'm no suspension expert, but some on here have dailed the preset right up along with stiffer dampening. Do a search, there are a few threads kicking around. Best is to take it to someone that actually knows what they are doing!
No matter what you do to the stock setup, it will never be very good. We need to get people educated to the best technology currently available...the Inertia Valve Technology made by RICOR. They're slowly revolutionizing the ride quality of many different bikes, both on-road and off-road. Reasonably priced, too. But, we need interest from the people on forums such as this, or, there's no reason for them to do the R and D.

Blackheart is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i sent them an inquiry, mentioning this site and my feelings of intrest from the 9r crowd here

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Trekker,
Welcome to the club, 919s that is.
Great bike, and mine is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be, a modern day version of my 73 CB750.
Now to your suspension comments and experience to date.
The 919 is actually lightly sprung, and as long as the rebound screws are not in too far, fairly lightly damped as well.
How much rear spring preload are you running ?
Near full soft or near full hard?
My guess is that your are running the recommended tire pressures.
DON'T
There's actually supposed to be a fair bit of "chassis" or "suspension" in your tire carcass.
There isn't a tire around that will give it to you if you run the insane numbers Honda tells you to use.
To say nothing of giving up grip as well.
For solo riding try 33 in the front, and 35 in the rear, cold pressures those are, as in pre-ride pressures.
For two up, try 33-34 in the front, and 37.5 to 39 in the back.
The recommended pressures Honda says to use, are the pressures specified for the maximum load the tire is rated to carry, and has nothing to do with real world.
I had Michelin Pilot Roads, but now use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT because of all the track days I'm now doing. My wife does lots of two up time with me on the back of the 919. When she is on, I run 33/37.5. Solo on the road I run 32/35. At the track I run 31/30.
I'm currently running the bike the way it was set up from the shop. Front fork, preload? dampening is even with the mark between full soft and full hard, probably closer to hard than soft.

Rear shock, preload is next to lowest setting (factory) and I don't have a clue what the dampening is set to. I checked my tire pressure yesterday. They were running 38psi front and 44psi rear. I had thought about dropping the pressure, but I've been hesitant because the folks at the shop told me that it would damage the tires.

Anyway, I love the bike, but right now it rides as rough as a bucking bull. Any slight bump in the road will send a sharp jolt to the body...especially from the rear of the bike.

I also noticed yesterday that my throttle has a considerable amount of play in it. I hope to adjust it this afternoon to see if that helps smooth it out a little.

trekker is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i sent them an inquiry, mentioning this site and my feelings of intrest from the 9r crowd here
That is what it will take. However, were you honest enough to state we had me, brevity, and you as the only three that have expressed interest?

Seriously, I will sell this bike and buy one that RICOR fully supports for fork and shock fitment, rather than ride something with so much potential, but, that has poor performance compared what it could be.

I'm willing to even wait a year, if need be, but, when I can take a used, ragged-out, OEM-crappy-tired SV650 and whip the lap times of my new, much more powerful stock 919...and feel like I'm not pushing the limits of the SV650 while being right on the edge of control on the 919 when there are any imperfections in the turn, that's just not right.

Blackheart is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Anyway, I love the bike, but right now it rides as rough as a bucking bull. Any slight bump in the road will send a sharp jolt to the body...especially from the rear of the bike.
Yep, that's the way it is. It's dissappointing when riding around in a sedate manner, but, it's very disturbing in high-speed cornering...to the point of being unsafe...it just won't stick to the ground like it COULD, if it had a better shock.

Blackheart is offline  
post #31 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

quote Blackheart----That is what it will take. However, were you honest enough to state we had me, brevity, and you as the only three that have expressed interest? :001_unsure

of course

trekker,you said you were 5'-10'',about???? weight.

it took me about 6 mo. to get the suspension where i want it.
i'm about 180# and i've got my stock 04 very compliant, if your close to my weight i'd be glad to help

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #32 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
[QUOTE=drewvir;355243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
That is what it will take. However, were you honest enough to state we had me, brevity, and you as the only three that have expressed interest? QUOTE]

of course


But, Funny! I sure hope they choose our bike for an upgrade solution soon. You just have to ride one with this technology to believe it. Otherwise, it just sounds like hyperbole.

As far as taking 6 months to get it tuned in...what the heck were you doing? There's not much you can do with the stock settings.

Heck, it didn't take but about 2 months for them to go from "Let's do the KLR650 shock" to shipping to the customer. I think it was even quicker for the Strom guys.

Blackheart is offline  
post #33 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

[QUOTE=Blackheart;355244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post



But, Funny! I sure hope they choose our bike for an upgrade solution soon. You just have to ride one with this technology to believe it. Otherwise, it just sounds like hyperbole.

As far as taking 6 months to get it tuned in...what the heck were you doing? There's not much you can do with the stock settings.

Heck, it didn't take but about 2 months for them to go from "Let's do the KLR650 shock" to shipping to the customer. I think it was even quicker for the Strom guys.
i did'nt have the owners manual, so i did'nt know the "stock" setting for preload and rebound. plus the bike was new to me so i would change preload ride awhile, adjust the rebound ride ect. but not having a baseline......then i started from the stock settings when i found them (mostly fork preload) and tweaked the rebound(alot).rebound(front&rear) soft but not soft enough to wallow was the key for me

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #34 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
[QUOTE=drewvir;355252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post

i did'nt have the owners manual, so i did'nt know the "stock" setting for preload and rebound. plus the bike was new to me so i would change preload ride awhile, adjust the rebound ride ect. but not having a baseline......then i started from the stock settings when i found them (mostly fork preload) and tweaked the rebound(alot).rebound(front&rear) soft but not soft enough to wallow was the key for me
Got it!

Guys, I just got an email from the President of RICOR...seems like quite a few people have pinged them, and he asked me to bring my bike in so they can "evaluate" the rear shock. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll want to put this on their drawing board. If they do...it will make me extremely happy.

Blackheart is offline  
post #35 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

don't forget the forks!!

thanks for your effort whatever the outcome

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #36 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
quote Blackheart----That is what it will take. However, were you honest enough to state we had me, brevity, and you as the only three that have expressed interest? :001_unsure

of course

trekker,you said you were 5'-10'',about???? weight.

it took me about 6 mo. to get the suspension where i want it.
i'm about 180# and i've got my stock 04 very compliant, if your close to my weight i'd be glad to help
I'm close about 165# clothed without gear. Add...what, about 10# or less for gear? So, I would say that your settings should be pretty close.

trekker is offline  
post #37 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Better suspension kits already are widely available.
I'm not saying "the best" but am saying "better, much better than stock".
For the front, I'm running RaceTech Compression and Rebound Valving as well as a 0.925 kg/mm spring set (one 0.90 with 0.95 for a 0.925 overall), use RaceTech oil and ended at 125 mm oil level. Front ride height has two rings left showing on adjusters.
The front end has huge stiction, but that is actually more an issue when trying to take measurements than when on the track.
The front sticks very well and has lots of feel.
For the rear I'm running a Penske two way with 1100 # / inch spring, 11 mm of free sag, ignore the rider sag, aside from lengthening the shock eye to eye length by 6 mm.
My weight fully suited for Track Days is 185 #.
The bike handles well, infinitely better than stock.
It's as much knee dragging and peg folding as you want.
Although the shock is soon to be redone to add in some more low speed compression damping (maybe I should have bought the three way afterall, but didn't on the basis of the front end being such a dinosaur design).
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires finish it off.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #38 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
I'm close about 165# clothed without gear. Add...what, about 10# or less for gear? So, I would say that your settings should be pretty close.
trekker,

i know the prelosd on the forks is stock(4 lines showing)
for the rebound turn c/w until it lightly seats then turn cc/w 2 turns.try that then adjust SLOWLY as needed.
if you don't like it return to the stock setting

do the same for the rear then ccw 1 to 1 1/8 turns

btw airpressure COLD is 36 f 42 rear

i run 34-35 front,39-40 rear

drew
feel free to ask me more

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #39 of 49 Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
don't forget the forks!!

thanks for your effort whatever the outcome
You bet. Actually, we've already talked about the front forks, and there are two ways to go...don't know yet which way they'll go.

If you guys will read the RICOR site, you'll understand a bit more about what this is....it's NOT a conventional suspension at all. The Intertia Valve allows twice as fast wheel movement with LESS chassis movement...it's 57 Roadmaster softness mated with Formula 1 chassis stiffness. You simply CANNOT do this with any other conventional suspension...as you address chassis stiffness with conventional suspensions, you give up the ability of the wheel to stick to the road surface. Penske included....taking out the Penske and putting in the RICOR IAS system blew the field away by 23 seconds on an SV650 this past weekend ridden by David Raff. Sure, the Penske is great compared to stock...but, not compared to 21st century technology.

The only thing that even comes close to this technology is Electronically-controlled suspensions. There's one BIG problem: currently they have about a 40 millisecond delay. That's an eternity at speed. It just can't keep the wheel tracking on the ground surface as well as the Inertia valve.

I'm leaving my bike with them next week. I hope we'll know by next weekend if they are going to tackle our bike. If they don't, you'll see mine for sale. Now that I've experienced this 21st Century suspension technology, I cannot put up with conventional "shocks", and buying a better conventional shock is just throwing good money at a bad situation.

I know that sounds harsh, but, I've ridden these other bikes. I'm not exaggerating.

Blackheart is offline  
post #40 of 49 Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
You bet. Actually, we've already talked about the front forks, and there are two ways to go...don't know yet which way they'll go.

If you guys will read the RICOR site, you'll understand a bit more about what this is....it's NOT a conventional suspension at all. The Intertia Valve allows twice as fast wheel movement with LESS chassis movement...it's 57 Roadmaster softness mated with Formula 1 chassis stiffness. You simply CANNOT do this with any other conventional suspension...as you address chassis stiffness with conventional suspensions, you give up the ability of the wheel to stick to the road surface. Penske included....taking out the Penske and putting in the RICOR IAS system blew the field away by 23 seconds on an SV650 this past weekend ridden by David Raff. Sure, the Penske is great compared to stock...but, not compared to 21st century technology.

The only thing that even comes close to this technology is Electronically-controlled suspensions. There's one BIG problem: currently they have about a 40 millisecond delay. That's an eternity at speed. It just can't keep the wheel tracking on the ground surface as well as the Inertia valve.

I'm leaving my bike with them next week. I hope we'll know by next weekend if they are going to tackle our bike. If they don't, you'll see mine for sale. Now that I've experienced this 21st Century suspension technology, I cannot put up with conventional "shocks", and buying a better conventional shock is just throwing good money at a bad situation.

I know that sounds harsh, but, I've ridden these other bikes. I'm not exaggerating.
I hope that it works out. I just visited their website and the pricing they have for other bike suspension systems seems very reasonable compared to other available options. I would be interested if it works out.

trekker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome